Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #481 of 3,155
I use a special liquid metal polish that makes me blind looking at them in the light. There’s no doubt Sony went all out.

My only surprise is how well the M9 sounds compared to the Z1Rs. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not as good, but for $990, you simply cannot to wring getting a set if you have a Walkman. Especially the WM1A. Pure bliss.

Why do you think they aren't as good?

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #484 of 3,155
The thing I love about the M9 is that it doesn’t have that plasticky unnatural BA timbre. Even TOTL all-BA’s like the QDC Anole VX don’t sound as natural.
I call it 'BA Krispies', and unfortunately the majority of BA-based IEMs suffer from it to some degree. :confounded:

But there are a few notable exceptions that I've heard, the M7 and M9 being two of them. :ksc75smile:

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #486 of 3,155
Maybe it's just that most IEMs use plastic enclosures around the BAs and the Sony ones use magnesium?
Sony is the only company that I know of that manufacturers their own BA drivers, which are used exclusively in their IEMs.

There are a number of factors that can lead to poor sound from BA IEMs, like using low quality BAs, crossing over the BAs outside of their passbands, not using enough BAs to achieve low distortion, etc.

But one of the better under-$500 BA-only IEMs I've heard is the Astell&Kern/JerryHarvey Billie Jean, and somehow it manages to sound great with only 2 BAs! :thinking:

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #487 of 3,155
Another thing I’ve noticed is the M9s need my WM1A 5-10 clicks higher on the volume to be somewhat comparable to my Z1Rs. This is on high output. At work I am usually between 25-35 but my M9s need to be at a minimum of 30-40.

I admit I haven’t checked their specs side by side but a 5 ba IEM needs more juice than a triple hybrid?

god damn I really love these though. So much better when commuting or walking compared to the Z1Rs. Can hardly even feel these are in.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #488 of 3,155
Sony is the only company that I know of that manufacturers their own BA drivers, which are used exclusively in their IEMs.
THIS! This is so often overlooked and it's a much bigger deal than is even known. Basically no one develops their own BA drivers, because basically no one has the kind of R&D money that a huge company like Sony has.

Just for discussion, what other IEM makers actually do/did develop their own BA drivers? 64 Audio? I know Campfire Audio doesn't.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #491 of 3,155
sorry I missed this. Bass, soundstage, detail are my 3 main reasons. But it’s a very close race where I don’t miss my Z1Rs much when listening to the M9s.

I just want to know why Sony used a thinner cable for the M9 vs the Z1R.
I switched over to the 4.4mm Kimber for my M9, and while it does suffer in the usability/comfort department, I do believe there are sonic improvements. Or at least I've convinced myself in my head that there are sonic improvements LMAO. Which in reality, what's in your head is really ALL that matters LOL.

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #492 of 3,155
sorry I missed this. Bass, soundstage, detail are my 3 main reasons. But it’s a very close race where I don’t miss my Z1Rs much when listening to the M9s.

I just want to know why Sony used a thinner cable for the M9 vs the Z1R.

Sony intended the M7 and M9 to be used for professional stage usage. I am guessing thinner cable is more flexible, lighter and less microphonic which is more crucial for musicians.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #493 of 3,155
First thing I noticed is the thickness of the M9 cable is nowhere near the Z1R. It’s nearly half the diameter.

Oh, thanks for your notice. It seems the stock cable of IER-Z1R can be an upgrade cable to my M9.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #494 of 3,155
Sony intended the M7 and M9 to be used for professional stage usage. I am guessing thinner cable is more flexible, lighter and less microphonic which is more crucial for musicians.

As musician myself, the band members/singers use various Custom IEM and Universal Fit IEM depending on personal preference. Cable design is the last in consideration because we wear the cables behind our backs (because the wireless packs are usually held there). Micro-phonic has never been an issue due to the way we wear the cables.
What is more important to us is sound isolation, and the ability to hear our own instrument/vocal clearly in the individual mix. That's the reason different musician/singer has difference preference on the IEM.

I believe the cable difference between M7/M9/Z1R could be due to the IEM sound signature tuning.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #495 of 3,155
Welp. Been using these since I received them on Thursday and I have to admit I’m not a fan. Coming from the Z5 I dunno what I was expecting but these are definitely not it. Not to mention the fit sucks. Thinking of returning and buying another pair of z5’s and will try not to switch cables so much so the connector doesn’t become loose again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back