Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #451 of 3,155
If there’s one word to describe the M9’s, it’s luscious. Everything is thick and textured.

Coming from the original Westone W4’s, you can easily tell how differently they’re tuned. One thing I’m not getting is the background details being brought more to the forefront on the M9’s, whereas with the W4’s, everything is intimate and in your face. I know that’s soundstage, but there are details that just get pushed to the background more than I like.

I don’t think this is a tip, insertion, or source issue since I was swapping them out constantly with pieces I’m familiar with. For example, Wang Lee Hom’s Kiss Goodbye has a piano intro (I’m not a musician so terminology is going to be way wrong). You can hear the keys thump with the theme and supporting notes on the right and left hand with similar volume and spacing on the W4’s, but on the M9’s, the supporting notes are pushed into the background slightly while the theme is just as prominent.

Maybe I prefer something with a different signature?

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #452 of 3,155
Just got the custom sleeves for the M9.

Upside, as long as it's in, no more vacuum effect. And, isolation is expectedly excellent.

Downside, it's no longer as slim and sleek. Sticks out a fair bit now. A fair trade, but I'm still trying to get used to it.

Otherwise, it's an excellent investment so far. Was initially a bit loose, but that's coz I didn't wear IEMs for a month and my ear swelling went down :)

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #453 of 3,155
I think the best practice is to switch between headphone and iem for long marathon listening sessions.

Meaning using headphones until you feel it's too warm for your ears then switch to iems. Do take breaks between listening.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #454 of 3,155
IMG_20200113_171121.jpg
Pulsed strings (pizzicato) have a wonderful level of realism...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #455 of 3,155

Upside, as long as it's in, no more vacuum effect. And, isolation is expectedly excellent.

Downside, it's no longer as slim and sleek. Sticks out a fair bit now. A fair trade, but I'm still trying to get used to it.

Otherwise, it's an excellent investment so far. Was initially a bit loose, but that's coz I didn't wear IEMs for a month and my ear swelling went down :)
Lets see some pics!

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #456 of 3,155

where did you get them from? :)

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #457 of 3,155
My new tip of choice is double flange silicone tips. I’ve realised that I got to go past the second bend in my ear to get the ideal sound. This is a massive sound upgrade for me. No vacuum effect, dynamics are amazing, and isolation is immense. I would definitely recommend trying double flange tips to anyone that hasn’t given them a go yet :)

606B00F6-E849-4056-8F83-3AE5094542D3.jpeg

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #458 of 3,155
My new tip of choice is double flange silicone tips. I’ve realised that I got to go past the second bend in my ear to get the ideal sound. This is a massive sound upgrade for me. No vacuum effect, dynamics are amazing, and isolation is immense. I would definitely recommend trying double flange tips to anyone that hasn’t given them a go yet :)

I've continued to use the Kimber as well! Keeping the chin adjuster tight to your chin is important for me to make sure the wires don't feel loose where they hook over my ears. The stock cable is undoubtedly more usable, more comfortable and softer. But I love the look of the Kimber and I convinced myself it sounds better/different. Lol so here I am.

Good job on finding tips that work best for you! I'm still rocking the M and MS hybrid tips depending on how swollen my ear canals are from usage. I've also found the seet spot for insertion depth. I still utilize my technique of pulling on my upper ear and pushing the IEM in deep though I don't push them in as deep as possible anymore like I was there for a bit. Maybe 75%. Very consistent sound and fit, love it.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #460 of 3,155
where did you get them from? :)

Noiseguard. They're an Aussie outfit that does hearing protection and other custom IEMs for sports and whatnot. They also happen to do IEM tips.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #461 of 3,155
Hi all, been hiatus for quite awhile. Busy with new plans to open a cafe here in Malaysia.

Finally i have the opportunity to try out z1r just now. Yes, undoubtedly, the bass is special on that set. It sounds full and immersive like a set of woofer. Though, the mids is noticeably thin. It doesn't as engaging as M9. The thin vocal is a big drawback to me personally. About the soundstage, i dont think z1r has that "vast" soundstage. It just have thinner mids which making it has the sense of air but not about soundstage.

I also has opportunity to try out to elysian hades 2. Man, that one has great soundstage if u ask me. I much prefer hades 2 than z1r. But that bass... Yes z1r is king on that note.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #463 of 3,155
So the M9 is better overall?
Depends on preference. But the mids on z1r has that thin ish sound that M9 excels better. Female vocals sound thin.

Since i i heard of Elysian Hades V2 too just now. I much prefer hades than Z1R.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #464 of 3,155
Think there needs to be a few touchups here and there on the mold itself, but otherwise it's pretty good.

20200115_093103.jpg 20200115_093256.jpg 20200115_093259.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back