Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #406 of 3,155
I use the kimber kable cuz i don't want to damage the stock cables in the long run. it may be hard to find the m9 stock cables sold separately a few years later haha. anyway does anyone know where to buy spare m7/m9 cables? Thanks
I've already worn my stock cable out! The 4.4 anyway. The rubber finish just above the MMCX connector is peeling off. It actually looks pretty bad!

Though I imagine I've put more hours on my M9 than probably 95% of the M9 owners in here.

I've got 1335 hours logged on my ZX300, I estimate at the very least 1100 of those are on the M9. Plus the hours I've used my M9 on my desktop amps.

EDIT: once again I've decided to hook my Kimber back up haha. I have taken off the chubby ear hooks and it is a better experience without them for sure. I also realized I had my cable bent backwards compared to how it really should be bent in order to keep the cable untwisted. That seems to help to keep the cable from watching to elevate over the top of my ears and fall off. A part of me really does believe it at least sounds different.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #407 of 3,155
I've already worn my stock cable out! The 4.4 anyway. The rubber finish just above the MMCX connector is peeling off. It actually looks pretty bad!

Though I imagine I've put more hours on my M9 than probably 95% of the M9 owners in here.

I've got 1335 hours logged on my ZX300, I estimate at the very least 1100 of those are on the M9. Plus the hours I've used my M9 on my desktop amps.

EDIT: once again I've decided to hook my Kimber back up haha. I have taken off the chubby ear hooks and it is a better experience without them for sure. I also realized I had my cable bent backwards compared to how it really should be bent in order to keep the cable untwisted. That seems to help to keep the cable from watching to elevate over the top of my ears and fall off. A part of me really does believe it at least sounds different.
BB66C014-9086-4BCF-BE95-74BC49DB1FCB.jpeg Don't know how to call in English that piece of black plastic that helps join two L and R cords but hope the picture is enough to demonstrate what i did in my process of bending the cable. raising up that piece of plastic to the point you feel that the cords curve along with your jawline. This may help you achieve the curve you desire asap. the kimber kable is very stiff at first so it requires a little force as to bend properly. otherwise, without adjusting the black plastic piece, it seems like the cords don't stay on your ear securely

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #408 of 3,155
Maybe should try contacting Sony Service Centre in your area and see if they would sell you the stock cable or replacement under warranty.

I am wildly guessing your M9's balanced armature would sound slightly better than 95% of the owners as it probably been so well burned in (mechanically). Along with your well seasoned zx300.

I had a friend who's HD600 driver got burned out from over-usage(5years of constant usage), that's according to him. Not sure if it's causes by equipment damage or real driver wear and tear.

Sennheiser is pretty good on after sales support, they would even just sell you the hd600 driver in the housing as a part number. Not sure about Sony though.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #409 of 3,155
Maybe should try contacting Sony Service Centre in your area and see if they would sell you the stock cable or replacement under warranty.

Would be weird for an ostensibly "pro" headphone to not have replacement parts- also a shame because M9's stock cable is one of the nicest IEM cables I've ever used.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #410 of 3,155
Yes the stock cable on the Sony are very light and free from skin irritations. I love them. Just gotta take care as the transparent housing feel fragile.

Although the best cable I have ever used comes from audio Technica( HDC114A )
but it cost USD160 there abouts.
review_390768_l.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #411 of 3,155

Australia have a Sony spare parts supplier that stock M9 cables, however they don’t ship overseas. But maybe you could use a parcel forwarding service? If you’re having trouble finding a forwarding service, feel free to drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to help out :)

https://www.speedyspares.com/shop/s...191270411.html?search_query=Ier-M9&results=89

I bought a spare one to use with my Z5’s. It’s a great looking cable!
7DBC2FF7-6EAD-406E-8299-5657575082D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #412 of 3,155
I was testing the Linsoul cable that I taught you with classical music and the results were also excellent. You cannot imagine how much the music scene of these IEM has increased, not only the horizontal one, but also the vertical one. As I said the bass has also increased significantly, but they it's still very well defined. Therefore, the stock cable returns to it's box...

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #414 of 3,155
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #415 of 3,155
I use the kimber kable cuz i don't want to damage the stock cables in the long run. it may be hard to find the m9 stock cables sold separately a few years later haha. anyway does anyone know where to buy spare m7/m9 cables? Thanks

https://www.speedyspares.com/shop/sony/3861-sony-ier-m9-balanced-headphone-cable-s0191270411.html

Local Aussie Sony spare parts supplier offers it. $90 AUD last I checked. It's like $1 more expensive than the unbalanced version.

Surprisingly 'reasonable', considering that the last time I ordered something from them, it was $70 for MDR-1A earpads. Still, considering it sounds the same as a $50 Fiio 4.4mm cable, eh. Probably get a replacement as my cable's rubber hooks is also degrading too, but I'm pretty sure that's coz I used alcohol to clean it :)

I did see a European supplier, but they were charging something in the neighbourhood of 300 euros for it. https://eu.eetgroup.com/Guide/m/Sony-Headphone-IER-M9

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #416 of 3,155
IER-M9 is really the king of precision and speed. It's able to render all the instruments in classical music. The dynamics, resolution, soundstaging, layering and speed is beyond comprehension. There is absolutely no blurriness or jumbled up feeling, the IER-M9 just presents each and every note to your ears. You probably need to train your brain to keep up with the overload of sonic information.(maybe caffeine might help)

This track really highlights the technical ability of IER-M9:
The Four Seasons - Concerto No.1 in E Major 'Spring'

Settings used on my ZX507:
DSEE ON
DC Linear Type B Standard
Balanced High gain

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #417 of 3,155
IER-M9 is really the king of precision and speed. It's able to render all the instruments in classical music. The dynamics, resolution, soundstaging, layering and speed is beyond comprehension. There is absolutely no blurriness or jumbled up feeling, the IER-M9 just presents each and every note to your ears. You probably need to train your brain to keep up with the overload of sonic information.(maybe caffeine might help)

This track really highlights the technical ability of IER-M9:
The Four Seasons - Concerto No.1 in E Major 'Spring'

Settings used on my ZX507:
DSEE ON
DC Linear Type B Standard
Balanced High gain
Is this track on Tidal? And The Four Seasons isn't an artist, is it? How do you search this song?

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #419 of 3,155

Users who are viewing this thread

Back