Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,102 of 3,169
Way too many IEM's were mentioned one the previous page before, let's try to add my 2 cent :ksc75smile:

Based on the initial question I completely agree with @Vamp898 Sony M9 and tia Trió are an different pair of shoes and not straight comparable, when @pushyo2khun likes the tria indeed Z1R or another IEM is a better comparable choice as the M9 .

With the tia Trió I had mixed feelings, dynamic sound with great bass presentation and a somewhat magic imaging that trying to hide his weaknesses, as allrounder maybe not really suiteable due his overwhelming bass compared to recessed mids.

U12t
  1. is he really overpriced/overhyped - no idea while imho the 12 driver implementation is doing a great job
  2. sounding boring/bland - well yes and no :sweat_smile: lemme say on bad days even a DD bass IEM can sound like that while the U12t also sounds really dynamic for an BA IEM
U12t has a fluffy presentation (apex technology ?) whereas the M9 as monitoring system goes more into the closed headphone direction, so with a quite similar tuning they will sound different. In some situations the bass on the M9 might have better impact wheras the U12t bass will sound closer to DD bass.

Maybe not the best example:

Yikes the dynamic U12t can sound sometimes indeed somewhat boring/bland, and none idea if that's another negative point or how some music is produced/mastered - sounds like some showmanship/striving for effect instead of natural.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #2,103 of 3,169
It might be relevant to mention that the U12T, while being an 12 Driver System, is an 4-way System.

The IER-M9 only has 5 drivers, but is an 5-way System.

You have 4 drivers for the bass, but those 4 drivers play the _exact same_ frequency. You use 4 drivers instead of one so you can have an higher volume without distortion, nothing more, nothing less(!)

So if the U12T would have only 4 drivers instead of 12, it wouldn't be as loud or, view from the other standpoint, would have higher distrotion at the same volume.

So the U12T is [4] + [6] + [1] +[1] and the M9 is [1] + [1] + [1] + [1] + [1]

Also the U12T uses an hard crossover, that means the drivers are only playing in their frequency range. The IER-M9 uses an soft cross-over, that means the driver are working together. An 1kHz sound is played by 3 different(!) drivers on the M9, while an 1kHz sound on the U12T is played by 6 identical(!) drivers.

In addition to that, the IER-M9 uses an physical LPF on the woofer which creates a completely different bass than on the U12T.

This is also the reason why the IER-M9 bass is so unique, its the only IEM that uses an BA with an LPF which is the reason for its Bass.

So if you play the IER-M9 and the U12T both at an volume where distortion is no issue, the IER-M9 will be superior. But you can push the U12T much further without getting distrotion compared to the IER-M9.

Quality over Quantity.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,104 of 3,169
So if you play the IER-M9 and the U12T both at an volume where distortion is no issue, the IER-M9 will be superior.
In your opinion, maybe. But you can't come to this conclusion based on the technical specs alone.
I'm among those many who rate U12t higher, and i don't care very much about the number of drivers, their type, how many ways etc.

Aug 15, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #2,105 of 3,169
I've got a used set of IER-M9 due from Japan this week.

Who prefers the 1ZR? I was considering them but looks a bit to large for my liking and many seem to mention fit issues. Is the 1ZR considered better sound quality to the M9 or just different.

My current IEM's are Noble K10U, Shure SE846, Fiio FD07. Should I expect M9 to be better or sound close to any of my existing ones?

I use a Sony WM1AM2 or Hiby R5II as my DAP's and via balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,106 of 3,169

Who prefers the 1ZR? I was considering them but looks a bit to large for my liking and many seem to mention fit issues. Is the 1ZR considered better sound quality to the M9 or just different.

My current IEM's are Noble K10U, Shure SE846, Fiio FD07. Should I expect M9 to be better or sound close to any of my existing ones?

Different. Z1r is more V shaped with endgame tier bass response. M9 has superior vocals and still really good bass. Both are better than the IEMs you listed but preference is wildly subjective

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,107 of 3,169

I have the Shure846 which I really like but to my ears the m9 i have is definitely better in sound quality. I now use the se846 wireless with the shure ear hooks for outside & use the m9s on cables for inside listening.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #2,108 of 3,169

I had big fitting issues and comfort issues with the Z1R so best that you audition a pair before purchase. No point having heavenly sound if you can't use it for more than a few minutes.

As the above poster said, the Z1R is more V shaped, the bass is superior to the M9 in terms of quantity and quality, but I found the Z1R's midrange too recessed. YMMV.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #2,109 of 3,169

I had big fitting issues and comfort issues with the Z1R so best that you audition a pair before purchase. No point having heavenly sound if you can't use it for more than a few minutes.

As the above poster said, the Z1R is more V shaped, the bass is superior to the M9 in terms of quantity and quality, but I found the Z1R's midrange too recessed. YMMV.

I had 3 Sony M7 M9 and Z1R last time, but had to let go the M9 to fund back my wallet.
As @baskingshark stated up there, try the Z1R before and do not blind buy except you will take the consequences. THe fit of the Z1R is niche ears, its not as scary as rumors, but they are heavy because of the zirconium shell, and thick. I have no problem with fit, but my back concha become bit hot and little pain after an hour or more if i got lucky.

The Z1R is more fun, tuned mild v shape with great bass (like the best bass i ever heard in IEM world) and very great trebles details (I appreciate the trebles more than already very great bass actually, the bass is very great, the best bass yet i dont think its perfect, can be a little bit better, yet no other bass can reach this level currently but the trebles on Z1R is near perfect. The details, smoothness and matureness, and the extension). I don't find mids are recessed but definitely not star of the show, overshadowed by bass and trebles performances. Meanwhile the M9 is created accurately for studio monitor. Fast, accurate, balanced, warm with medium large soundstage completed by precise imaging. They are very different sets.

So my summary will be like this :
Sub bass : Z1R > M9, no contest Z1R is the king here
Mid bass : Z1R > M9, Z1R have much better impact of course
Upper bass control : Z1R = M9 with note, M9 is much warmer here
lower mids : M9 > Z1R , M9 have benefit from its warmness, have thicker note here, lush and warm with more weight and little forward
upper mids : M9 > Z1R, again on M9 more forward but still smooth under 8db increment, not shouty at all, crunchy and details, similar clarity and detail with Z1R but benefit from thicker note carried from lower mids
lower trebles : Z1R > M9, Z1R have more details, can be little bit overforward to some, but not harsh (they are foam dampened, so edges have been absorbed)
upper trebles and extension, Z1R > M9 with Z1R being more details, extended, bitey but smooth.
soundstage : Z1R > M9, Z1R soundstage is very wide
imaging : Z1R = M9, maybe Z1R little bit better perception because of larger stage but precision imaging level not much different, both very great
true details : Z1R = M9, both have very great true details, I don't talk about resolution perception (boosted presence region 4-5khz) to achieve "details"
fit : M9 >>>> Z1R, M9 is the one of the best shell shape IMHO, while Z1R fit is very very niche, not for everyone.
price : M9 > Z1R, clearly

Hope it helps. Have a great day!

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2,110 of 3,169
I had 3 Sony M7 M9 and Z1R last time, but had to let go the M9 to fund back my wallet.
As @baskingshark stated up there, try the Z1R before and do not blind buy except you will take the consequences. THe fit of the Z1R is niche ears, its not as scary as rumors, but they are heavy because of the zirconium shell, and thick. I have no problem with fit, but my back concha become bit hot and little pain after an hour or more if i got lucky.

The Z1R is more fun, tuned mild v shape with great bass (like the best bass i ever heard in IEM world) and very great trebles details (I appreciate the trebles more than already very great bass actually, the bass is very great, the best bass yet i dont think its perfect, can be a little bit better, yet no other bass can reach this level currently but the trebles on Z1R is near perfect. The details, smoothness and matureness, and the extension). I don't find mids are recessed but definitely not star of the show, overshadowed by bass and trebles performances. Meanwhile the M9 is created accurately for studio monitor. Fast, accurate, balanced, warm with medium large soundstage completed by precise imaging. They are very different sets.

So my summary will be like this :
Sub bass : Z1R > M9, no contest Z1R is the king here
Mid bass : Z1R > M9, Z1R have much better impact of course
Upper bass control : Z1R = M9 with note, M9 is much warmer here
lower mids : M9 > Z1R , M9 have benefit from its warmness, have thicker note here, lush and warm with more weight and little forward
upper mids : M9 > Z1R, again on M9 more forward but still smooth under 8db increment, not shouty at all, crunchy and details, similar clarity and detail with Z1R but benefit from thicker note carried from lower mids
lower trebles : Z1R > M9, Z1R have more details, can be little bit overforward to some, but not harsh (they are foam dampened, so edges have been absorbed)
upper trebles and extension, Z1R > M9 with Z1R being more details, extended, bitey but smooth.
soundstage : Z1R > M9, Z1R soundstage is very wide
imaging : Z1R = M9, maybe Z1R little bit better perception because of larger stage but precision imaging level not much different, both very great
true details : Z1R = M9, both have very great true details, I don't talk about resolution perception (boosted presence region 4-5khz) to achieve "details"
fit : M9 >>>> Z1R, M9 is the one of the best shell shape IMHO, while Z1R fit is very very niche, not for everyone.
price : M9 > Z1R, clearly

Hope it helps. Have a great day!
Any reason why you got ridd of the m9 instead of the m7 or did you need the extra cash.
Is the m9 much better sounding than the m7. I know about the driver difference & configuration but just wondering what you think since you own both.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #2,111 of 3,169
Any reason why you got ridd of the m9 instead of the m7 or did you need the extra cash.
Is the m9 much better sounding than the m7. I know about the driver difference & configuration but just wondering what you think since you own both.
For my budget, there was a time that i spent too much on this hobby and i need to cash in some. Tough choices but instead of selling M7 for little bit of money, I got so much more with selling M9.
As i stated before, M9 is better on everything than M7 especially on treble details, on vivid imaging. M7 is about 80% of the M9, they are very similar (literally 80% if you count from the BA drivers, 4 vs 5 lol).
Bass section is very similar, using exactly same driver. Inner housing also using same magnesium, with M9 also using magnesium on entire shell instead of plastic shell on M7.
Extension of the trebles much better on M9, A B ing them made M7 sound darker with less air but because of that, M7 perceived mid focus more, just a perception in my opinions.
That said, M9 clearly better IEM than M7. Just the M7 hold better value at almost half the price of M9, better value of the 3 sony line up.
If budget isn't a concern, definitely just go for M9. But if budget on consideration, you can consider M7 as poormen's M9.

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #2,112 of 3,169
Regrettably, I am selling my M9. If anyone on the thread has an interest, just drop me a PM. Don't want to hijack this thread by discussing it here.

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2,113 of 3,169
For my budget, there was a time that i spent too much on this hobby and i need to cash in some. Tough choices but instead of selling M7 for little bit of money, I got so much more with selling M9.
As i stated before, M9 is better on everything than M7 especially on treble details, on vivid imaging. M7 is about 80% of the M9, they are very similar (literally 80% if you count from the BA drivers, 4 vs 5 lol).
Bass section is very similar, using exactly same driver. Inner housing also using same magnesium, with M9 also using magnesium on entire shell instead of plastic shell on M7.
Extension of the trebles much better on M9, A B ing them made M7 sound darker with less air but because of that, M7 perceived mid focus more, just a perception in my opinions.
That said, M9 clearly better IEM than M7. Just the M7 hold better value at almost half the price of M9, better value of the 3 sony line up.
If budget isn't a concern, definitely just go for M9. But if budget on consideration, you can consider M7 as poormen's M9.
Thanks for that I already own the m9.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #2,114 of 3,169
My M9 just arrived, and not blown away in the first 5 minutes.

Seem to need more driving power than my other 3 (K10U, FD7, SE846) on the WM1AM2 and I'd describe as very warm. They sound so different. Lot more listening and changing tip experimentation.

Good news they were sold as used at a very good price but they look unused, totally new. Love the lightness and supple feel of the cables.

Do the M9's need some burn-in themselves ?

20220818_093539.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2,115 of 3,169
My M9 just arrived, and not blown away in the first 5 minutes.

Seem to need more driving power than my other 3 (K10U, FD7, SE846) on the WM1AM2 and I'd describe as very warm. They sound so different. Lot more listening and changing tip experimentation.

Good news they were sold as used at a very good price but they look unused, totally new. Love the lightness and supple feel of the cables.

Do the M9's need some burn-in themselves
Don't need any burn in as they are full BA in my opinion, you have great source, try default or small bore tips, and crank the volume up or else they are pretty boring. AB ing with fun IEMs will sounded boring at first. But try to listen longer in louder volume than usual and hear every balance details with precision imaging. Let yourself carried away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back