Sony headphones..Some consolation?
Nov 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 45
hey, simply because you cant compare hi-fi with computing.. that doesnt mean the rest of us cant.
come paired with sample rates in the ghz area and realize all of the technology they show 'for the future' has already been done and is simply waiting around to be released.

i agree, audio isnt revolutionizing rapidly.
speaker technology is quite something to ponder at.
your 20 year old speakers are not 1980's .. they are 1990's when the speaker industry literally blew up into a mad dash.
before that, speakers were dull and lifeless with various amounts of slew.

i suggest you go back to 1990 and realize the many different directions those speakers went back then.
because for those of us that followed the scene, that moment in time was more than a turning point of upgrades.
speaker designs went all sorts of different ways like a confetti gun being shot off.
go back further in history and you will see there really wasnt anything that resembles the massive change in resulting quality.
from that 1990 point onwards to today, studio monitors started making their way into homes.
but
nobody realizes what is for the future of speakers for studios, and people wont want the same speakers of yester-year when they are looking for something that reflects the technological revolution.

an audiophile wont be impressed with a klipsch speaker at bestbuy when you can clearly hear the color of the sound is as orange as the speaker cone.
the distortion numbers remain generally high for the average, and the slew rate varies widely.
for some, it is a matter of appreciating what was missing.
for others, it is a matter of knowing what can be done thanks to simple age.

something to note..
when the sample rate starts making its way into the ghz area, the slew rate of the speakers absolutely must go up.
many would be embarassed to realize their speakers cant pour out all of the output the current sample rate and bit-depth gives out.

high-end headphones have been the same beast.
the most of them have higher distortion numbers, but they changed the frequency response and the slew rate.. mix that with different amounts of wideness and that seems to be a whole list to choose from that lasted for 20? years in the consumer market and another 10 years on the black market before consumers got to 'em.

so yeah.. i sit here and shrug to realize the hardware is 30 years old.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
speaker technology is quite something to ponder at.
your 20 year old speakers are not 1980's .. they are 1990's when the speaker industry literally blew up into a mad dash.

I really have to disagree with that pronouncement.

1980's -

Rogers LS35a
Magneplanar III with Sequerra ribbon tweeters
Spendor BC1
Quad Electrostatic

and several others as well

were most definitely not "dull and lifeless with various amounts of slew"

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #19 of 45
at best.. the speakers from the 80's could fill up a room with enough pressure to run some serious chorus.
still dull and lifeless with various slew.
whether that slew is output that pours from the cone, or the ability to balloon the room.. the majority rules.
any 'few' studio monitors or audiophilia studio showing off is not to be thrown out there as if it is of any concern to society.
interest perhaps, because the FBI has had their hands on some really wicked speakers for generations upon generations.

where do you think the hardware comes from before it hits the black market?
doing 'tests' back then with some gear, if you could afford it and were 'eligable' then you'd be getting something early.

what they dont tell you is the amount of calibration to the air or the room that had to be done to make anything worth bringing up work.
a lot of the speakers from the 1990's could do more than one job, and do that job better than speakers before it.

what makes you think those 'audio demonstration' setups became relevant all of a sudden back in the 1990's ?
(or did you never ever get to see one?)
consumers knew nothing about them types of setups and they walked in there as if it was a museum of futuristic technology.
of course anything 'studio' is going to be heavier-duty than what the consumers were seeing on a daily basis.
that is apples to oranges there.. and those specific speakers, i wouldnt know anything about.
i wasnt the idiot to constantly ask 'what speaker was that?' each time i went from room to room.
gritting the grain, not walking into total darkness with questionable amounts of artificial reality inside the room.. does that comparison ring a bell?

look at the car audio industry, the amplifiers total harmonic distortion levels are hellaciously high.
most of the time, the stock stereo has the same (or better distortion values) and the waterfall has been adjusted with the frequency response.
then people throw in something aftermarket and lose all of that quality.
they dont make it any better (sometimes worse) and it simply gets louder.

i mean seriously..
would anybody really be all that shocked to realize the pair of headphones you were listening to while going through some government tests is going to be released with a brand name and model number some day?

going back as far as you can is of no trouble to me, because the FCC doesnt allow those people to see the difference between 'soon' and 'in the distant future'

i'm here talking about such a step of change for anything that has been released in the last 10 years.
you'd be well off to hope and smile, but do the math for yourself and see how you cant keep a bunch of 480p CRT's when everything is going high resolution.

makes me think people are going on and on about their favorite old tube television and the company is too lazy to add more pixels to the electron gun.
it doesnt make sense when there is a pool of people wanting it.

but the algebra is stated as trash time and time again.
rendevous in some deja vu while i basque on actually being there.

what you said doesnt blow by me.
'most definitely'
they 'grit & grain' like salt on your mousepad, this i know.. the FCC wimpers to the same giggle for quite some time until torn apart by location and need.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #21 of 45

I'm confused and I've only had one drink tonight. So far.
Mercuttio, dare I bring up the MDR-SA5000? 
biggrin.gif

I had one for a while. I think as a "trickle-down" technology headphone it's pretty second rate compared to the CD3K / R10 family. I remember being really fascinated by the sheer speed at first, but in prolonged listening discovered that in most situations it was forced, and seemed really artificial. My interest in it was definitely as a counterpoint to the HD650 I had at the time, which was just a plodding beast even with the powerful and quick amp I had at the time. I dunno. It's cool, but who was it for? Even the "magnesium frame" was actually made of plastic. I suspect the band between the earcups may have been actual metal, but it wasn't even really visible.

@anwaypasible:

I understand that you think you are wrapping insightful and clever ideas in layers of artful prose. This is simply not the case; the actual points you make are relatively weak and fess up to a real lack of experience you have in audio of any kind. Discussing anything with you is like arguing with a wall. Have you noticed that when you talk to people, at some point they throw up their arms and yell "I give up?" It's not because of your ability to form a proper argument... that is pure frustration, and generally it means "you lose." 

I'll be happy to talk to you again when you:

A. Have more experience with audio.

B. Have an actual interest in learning about it.

C. Can be concise.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 45
Haha..hear this..that someone got those Sony headphones exchanged for a V-MODA bass freq. I know they aren't great, but I don't mind them.
Planning to save up for a few weeks and get something BIG!

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #23 of 45

Quote:

@anwaypasible:

I understand that you think you are wrapping insightful and clever ideas in layers of artful prose. This is simply not the case; the actual points you make are relatively weak and fess up to a real lack of experience you have in audio of any kind. Discussing anything with you is like arguing with a wall. Have you noticed that when you talk to people, at some point they throw up their arms and yell "I give up?" It's not because of your ability to form a proper argument... that is pure frustration, and generally it means "you lose." 

I'll be happy to talk to you again when you:

A. Have more experience with audio.

B. Have an actual interest in learning about it.

C. Can be concise.

i hear your plans to stop using the forum.
you'd be right too, because there are a large number of people that will blow right past the bias and settle for whatever the industry leaders are aiming for.

headroom has graphs of information that lawfully adhere to the psychological rationale of the world.
and judging your biased review of my communication, you seem to realize there are way too many people failing those endearments of rationale.

dont take your 'trap and bait' of my return to this thread as something of hospitality that i enjoy.
i doubt other people want to hear your banter, and the moderators will suggest you take such idiocentrics to the private messaging system.

i've got facts, tools, trial and error, as well as embodied proof ready to be listed (as if i havent already begun).

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwaypasible /img/forum/go_quote.gif

headroom has graphs of information that lawfully adhere to the psychological rationale of the world.

What do you mean?

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 45

Quote:
i said that is a totally stupid move on behalf of any company because of the 'high-resolution audio' formats released only a year ago.

WTH are you talking about?  Hi-res audio (DVDA/SACD) has been available in 24/96 and 24/192 for the past 6-7 years.  NVM, I shouldn't encourage the pretentious and incomprehensible bastardization of the English language.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #28 of 45

I hate to add to this, but...
Quote:

From 1963: 

And dynamic driver tech has been around since the 30's. There's no new technology per say, just new ways of tuning.

And back to the original topic, you paid less than $10 for the Bass Freqs right? You really can't complain about anything for that price! 
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #29 of 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back