Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,494 of 2,773
They are good for home use,although after several months of use I came to the conclusion that they are overpriced and you can get something better with less money.

But if you like the slightly colored sound signature which is better to listen at moderate volumes,and your ears don't stick out much so you won't have comfort problems,then it's a quite good choise.But honestly,for me,my shure srh840 is an overall better headphone,better value,a bit better sound quality,better isolation.At least that's my personal opinion.

Sound quality wise I also think that at the same price,k550 is better overall. And for higher volume listening I also find my krk kns 6400 to have better balance/more natural sound at half the price.And to be really honest,I find my koss portapro to be more balanced too,although a bit unrefined sounding and not with so good imaging as the sony's...

I don't know why,lately I don't really appreciate this headphone that much...I think it's quite overated here.For me it's not 200 euro good...maybe at 130-140 euro max it would be fine for what you get.At least this is my opinion.

But again,if you like slightly colored sound signature,and low to moderate volume listening at quiet places,and your ears don't stick out much,then you'll probably like it as it's a decent soundning headphone with not bad overall balance,and nice imaging.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,495 of 2,773
Quote:
They are good for home use,although after several months of use I came to the conclusion that they are overpriced and you can get something better with less money.

But if you like the slightly colored sound signature which is better to listen at moderate volumes,and your ears don't stick out much so you won't have comfort problems,then it's a quite good choise.But honestly,for me,my shure srh840 is an overall better headphone,better value,a bit better sound quality,better isolation.At least that's my personal opinion.

Sound quality wise I also think that at the same price,k550 is better overall. And for higher volume listening I also find my krk kns 6400 to have better balance/more natural sound at half the price.And to be really honest,I find my koss portapro to be more balanced too,although a bit unrefined sounding and not with so good imaging as the sony's...

I don't know why,lately I don't really appreciate this headphone that much...I think it's quite overated here.For me it's not 200 euro good...maybe at 130-140 euro max it would be fine for what you get.At least this is my opinion.

But again,if you like slightly colored sound signature,and low to moderate volume listening at quiet places,and your ears don't stick out much,then you'll probably like it as it's a decent soundning headphone with not bad overall balance,and nice imaging.

My ears stick out like 1 cm or so. I consider myself a light basshead, will these have enough mid, upper and subbass for my tastes? And in what way are they colored?

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,496 of 2,773
I think you'll not have comfort problem then.

Their midrange in general sound a bit weird,not so flat/natural,and the lower mids/upperbass is also a bit emphasized.But it's slight midbass emphasis is not the problem in my opinion.The problem for me is the midrange,I'm not 100% sure which frequensies,but it has a weird sound compared to other good quality headphones,and when you listen to a bit higher volume,it gets a bit annoying...at least that's the way I'm hearing their sound...Treble is also a bit laidback.
On the other hand,their presentation is not bad,it's a bit laidback sounding in my opinion despite the colored midrange,and the imaging and detail is also quite good.Sometimes I enjoy listening to them at low to moderate volumes,but honestly,after many months I find myselm using my shure 840 a lot more if I want closed headphone directly from my ipod.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,497 of 2,773
Quote:
I think you'll not have comfort problem then.

Their midrange in general sound a bit weird,not so flat/natural,and the lower mids/upperbass is also a bit emphasized.But it's slight midbass emphasis is not the problem in my opinion.The problem for me is the midrange,I'm not 100% sure which frequensies,but it has a weird sound compared to other good quality headphones,and when you listen to a bit higher volume,it gets a bit annoying...at least that's the way I'm hearing their sound...Treble is also a bit laidback.
On the other hand,their presentation is not bad,it's a bit laidback sounding in my opinion despite the colored midrange,and the imaging and detail is also quite good.Sometimes I enjoy listening to them at low to moderate volumes,but honestly,after many months I find myselm using my shure 840 a lot more if I want closed headphone directly from my ipod.

Hmm alright. I've tried the Shure 840 with my mp4 player in the store aswell, and while I do think they have a really nice sound, they just lack bass (especially subbass) for me. If they had like 1,5x more midbass and 3x more subbass, they would be excellent for me. But do you find the shure 840 boring to listen to?

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,498 of 2,773
Quote:

Ey dweaver, have you read my impressions on the dynamat mod? It was indeed weird and fatiguing for me at first but I found the sweet spot in terms of volume level. Once you discover that, it's an awesome experience. Really clear and full sounding I must say. I was at a point where I was already thinking of taking the dynamat off, but I'm glad I didn't.

Ditto, after modding MDR-1R are my number one portable phones. Combined with an incredible comfort, great isolation, and stylish low profile look, they are hard to beat for that application. 
- Momentum sound wise could be on par but lack in comfort
- New Fostex and old Denon Fostex sound great but don't isolate much and not very "portable"
- Mad Dog have an edge in SQ over those but need beefy amplification to sound their best

My only gripe is somewhat cheap choice of materials, wish they used more metal.
Hope Sony release upscale version of those, like Pro or Studio with metal swivels, bigger drivers, etc. as MDR-1R sound signature is a big success IMO, esp dampened.

BTW, can anyone recommend replacement cable with 1/4 plug for those?

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,499 of 2,773
Quote:
Hmm alright. I've tried the Shure 840 with my mp4 player in the store aswell, and while I do think they have a really nice sound, they just lack bass (especially subbass) for me. If they had like 1,5x more midbass and 3x more subbass, they would be excellent for me. But do you find the shure 840 boring to listen to?

Strange,the 840's have a bit full sound at lower frequensies-especially upperbass is emphasized,making the sound a bit heavy there (although I reduced that by rotating earpads to a different angle).That said,I find the 840 a bit bass heavy though not by much.Maybe you didn't put them on in a proper way at the store.

No I don't find them boring at all,I like their sound signature.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,500 of 2,773
Quote:

Hope Sony release upscale version of those, like Pro or Studio with metal swivels, bigger drivers, etc. as MDR-1R sound signature is a big success IMO, esp dampened.

In my opinion Sony should work on the 1R and realese another headphone that will have a neutral/reference frequensy responce without needing mods to sound better,more carefully designed to be a bit more comfortable,because while comfy enough,it's not the last word in comfort due to the design of the inside of the cups (touching the ears a bit,depending on ear size etc).

Some other flaws are some slight noises when you move your head or move your mouth when you eat something,and jack rattle issue,although I can live with them,nothing too bad here.The biggest flaw is the wind issue,I can't believe that sony missed that,the wind noise through the holew on the cups is a very serious flaw.If sony take care of all the above,then it will be the ultimate portable headphone.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,501 of 2,773
I agree, and with a magnesium or aluminum body instead of plastic, while maintaining the same good looks :) I find the stock 1R a bit too warm, with recessed treble and sub-bass. Also there was a bit of honkiness in the upper mids, which I'm assuming the dynamat mod would take care of (never tried it). Does the mod bring out the treble and sub-bass at all?

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,502 of 2,773
Quote:
Strange,the 840's have a bit full sound at lower frequensies-especially upperbass is emphasized,making the sound a bit heavy there (although I reduced that by rotating earpads to a different angle).That said,I find the 840 a bit bass heavy though not by much.Maybe you didn't put them on in a proper way at the store.

No I don't find them boring at all,I like their sound signature.

I did put them on in a proper way, they fit me excellent and they were comfortable for the 15 minutes I've worn them. They created a proper seal aswell. It's just I founded their bass lacking for me. Does a amp like the FiiO E11 add more bass, but not intrude the mids and highs at all?

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,504 of 2,773
Quote:
I did put them on in a proper way, they fit me excellent and they were comfortable for the 15 minutes I've worn them. They created a proper seal aswell. It's just I founded their bass lacking for me. Does a amp like the FiiO E11 add more bass, but not intrude the mids and highs at all?

Bass boost 1 in FiiO E11 is perfect for the MDR 1r; I did not notice any bass bleed into the mids.

Some other flaws are some slight noises when you move your head or move your mouth when you eat something,and jack rattle issue,although I can live with them,nothing too bad here.

Easily fixed by applying a small amount of Tamiya Molybdenum Grease on the hinges inside the cups. While you're at it, best to try the dynamat mod as well. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back