Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,326 of 2,773
My MDR-1R arrived today so I will have the final word on how these actually sound
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,329 of 2,773
Initial impressions...

These sound balanced....mids are there, top end is clean and non-abrasive, upper bass slightly warm on some recordings, not on others. l do like that the midrange is front and centre, and the bass and treble enhance that, like window dressing, rather than lead the way. Midrange is where most of the music lies, and lately I am not much fond of cans that like to push the mids to the background.

Again, initial impressions, but I don't hear any serious problems right off the bat.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #2,330 of 2,773
I will say after owning both the Momentums and the 1R, the Momentums are probably better technically but I enjoyed the overall presentation 1R more. More engaging due to the upfront mids and warmth. I also feel the sound and imaging is more spacious on the 1R.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,331 of 2,773
Got these for $138 from Rakuten.  Just got them in the mail today.  I am very impressed by the comfort of these.  Wow, they just float on my head.  When I'm not wearing them, I think about when I can just put them on again.  Weird, I know.

I'm not sure if the sig is what I'm wanting.  I do enjoy it for some genres, but in terms of what I want from a portable, it may not be it.  I will be picking up the WS99s at some point to compare and will likely get rid of one and keep the other, though I might keep both.  

Anyway, nice cans, and certainly a steal at my price, so I am quite happy!

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #2,332 of 2,773
Got these for $138 from Rakuten.  Just got them in the mail today.  I am very impressed by the comfort of these.  Wow, they just float on my head.  When I'm not wearing them, I think about when I can just put them on again.  Weird, I know.

I'm not sure if the sig is what I'm wanting.  I do enjoy it for some genres, but in terms of what I want from a portable, it may not be it.  I will be picking up the WS99s at some point to compare and will likely get rid of one and keep the other, though I might keep both.  

Anyway, nice cans, and certainly a steal at my price, so I am quite happy!

I'm getting the ws99s too! I'll compare them also.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,335 of 2,773
Will do, though it won't be until the price comes back down.

BTW, what sets off the rattle on these?  Is it movement like walking or moving your head, or is it from the driver itself?  I ask because I sometimes get a buzz but only when I am using them as a headset for my phone, I have yet to detect it in music.  I suppose it could just be coming through from my phone (Note 2), so I'll check it out on a computer using google voice.  Anyone else have that issue?

Edit: Oddly enough, I tried this again, calling the same automated meeting line that was causing the issue this morning, and had no problem.  I wonder if I had something in the earcup that fell out or something.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,337 of 2,773
Quote:
Movement from turning your head. Its not that hard to get used to. Besides, some people arent even getting this problem.

It comes from where swivel enters the cup. Sony put some silicone rings in there but they don't help that much and you can still get that squeaking from jaw movement.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,338 of 2,773
I see some people aren't quite satisfied with the sound of the 1R's.

The cheapest price for the 1R's right now, here in Sweden, is $300. I paid about $400 for the BT version, and that was on a 10% discount, lol.

It's not the cheapest headphone on the market, but as far as I known it's the best bluetooth headphone for the price. I've yet too see anyone mention a pair of bluetooth headphones that beats the 1RBT.

Keep in mind I'm not only talking about the sound, just the headphone overall. 30 hours of constant music, NFC and being able to use it with a cable etc.

Does anyone here know of a BT headphone better than the 1RBT?

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,339 of 2,773
Quote:
I see some people aren't quite satisfied with the sound of the 1R's.

There always will be people dissatisfied with the sound of some phones, if not we wouldn't have the whole site dedicated to headphones.

They work wonderfully for some and not for others as anything in this hobby.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,340 of 2,773
Quote:
It comes from where swivel enters the cup. Sony put some silicone rings in there but they don't help that much and you can still get that squeaking from jaw movement.

OK mine is definitely different.  I have a small buzz that shows up occasionally from the audio in my left cup.  It comes and goes, so I'm wondering if there is something in there that is causing the issue.  I'll have to take off the pad and take a look inside.  

Starting to warm up to the sound of these though, and the comfort is seriously out of this world.  They are even with my HD600s, which I can wear literally all day.  The only comfort weakness they have is inherent to being closed cans, and that is heat, though I haven't had much issue with that as of yet, but I know it will be there when they are worn in a warm environment.  I can see how the mesh could be itchy for some people with more sensitive ears, but my ears touch it and I have no itch issues at all.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back