Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,206 of 2,773
I'm listening to my 1Rs as I type this. They haven't broken, and I think myself lucky not to have gotten a jack rattle pair. I'm impressed by the SQ and build quality.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,208 of 2,773
I'm listening to my 1Rs as I type this. They haven't broken, and I think myself lucky not to have gotten a jack rattle pair. I'm impressed by the SQ and build quality.

The Internet is a strange place. Negative are always amplified. I've had absolutely none of the problems with my 1R that have been reported around here. I'm willing to bet that's actually the norm and not the exception.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2,209 of 2,773

Someone wanted to see some pics of my mdr-1 with a stand, so I figured I would put it here so others could view as well. Cheers

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,210 of 2,773
Someone wanted to see some pics of my mdr-1 with a stand, so I figured I would put it here so others could view as well. Cheers

What cable do you have on there? It doesn't appear to be either one of the stock cables.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,212 of 2,773
Quote:
Ah should have put that under the pic. Its a Mini to Mini that I had made from BTG Audio. Could not stand the stock cable as it would get rock hard in cold weather. Its nice to have a good cable that fits a few different headphones ^_^)b

Did you notice any sound changes? Or just pure ergonnomics? I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting something similar from BTG. Sunset Cables?

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,213 of 2,773
Quote:
Did you notice any sound changes? Or just pure ergonnomics? I'm curious because I'm thinking about getting something similar from BTG. Sunset Cables?

MDR-1R are my on the go set, so the cable noise from that stock cable, and even more so when cold, made a lot of noise when walking etc. I could AB the cables later and give my feedback. Probably sometime tonight or tomorrow I can post something. ^_^

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,214 of 2,773
Quote:
Ah should have put that under the pic. Its a Mini to Mini that I had made from BTG Audio. Could not stand the stock cable as it would get rock hard in cold weather. Its nice to have a good cable that fits a few different headphones ^_^)b

Pics and links to the product? Did you notice any difference in SQ or functionality besides the cable hardening?

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #2,216 of 2,773
Quote:
The Internet is a strange place. Negative are always amplified. I've had absolutely none of the problems with my 1R that have been reported around here. I'm willing to bet that's actually the norm and not the exception.

This.

If 100 people buy a certain product, perhaps 10 of them will experience problems. Most of these people will describe their frustration on the internet, much like in head-fi. However, the ones who are enjoying the product won't waiste their time expressing their feelings, they'll just go on with their life.

I've experienced this in pretty much every site that contains atleast one review. It's common knowledge really.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,217 of 2,773
Quote:

This.

If 100 people buy a certain product, perhaps 10 of them will experience problems. Most of these people will describe their frustration on the internet, much like in head-fi. However, the ones who are enjoying the product won't waiste their time expressing their feelings, they'll just go on with their life.

I've experienced this in pretty much every site that contains atleast one review. It's common knowledge really.

Usually, I'd agree. However, in this case, it appears to be a design defect, not a statistical manufacturing defect. I bought 4 MDR-1Rs, and all 4 exhibited the loose jack issue (3 out of the box, the 4th started to loosen up after a couple days).

While most products will have a vocal minority when it comes to defects, I think it's the opposite here: most units have the issue, but the majority of owners do not notice or care. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #2,218 of 2,773
Quote:

Just did a quick AB results below. 
Quote:

Pics and links to the product? Did you notice any difference in SQ or functionality besides the cable hardening?

Sorry rogue was waiting for later when I could ab them like i told m-13 before posting more details.

[size=large]Stock vs BTG Cable[/size]

( Before I get into this, I understand some have opinions on if cables make any audible difference in sound, however find sometimes cables can really make a difference. Please don't try and rehash the old cable theory argument^_^b) 

Before we start do note I am probably not the best at describing sound. I can do ok though ^_^. 

- Hardware/Software Used:
Schiit Modi usb DAC ---> Schiit Asgard 1 ---> MDR-1R

96/24 as well as some 44/16

Foobar2000

Stock Cable (without phone controls)-

Original reason for upgrading was because of the cable noise I would get while walking around. Cold weather hardened the cable and made the headphones a pain to carry around. I have had another pair of headphones a long time ago that were made out a similar material before I was into hi-fi audio. I was surprised to see it on these. Always hated the plastic like cables. Feels very cheap and is easy to damage the cable IMO if you are on the go a lot.  

BTG Midnight Cable Mini-Mini- http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609075&id=11508342

After A/Bing a few genres I have found the cable overall does IMO increase the overall sound quality. Let me stress that its not a huge difference, but its enough to notice pretty well. If I was to explain what exactly changed, I would say clarity.

The bass was slightly tighter which I like. The overall sound is the same, only tightened. The sound is still laid back and easy to just chill with, but the mids and highs are a bit more crisp, so I notice them more.(In a good way)

I think where I noticed the most difference were in the vocals. Most of what I listen to are female vocals. (Utada, Paramore, Hanazawa, Kara, AKB) Some male vocals  (STP, Foreigner, Muse) I believe due to the overall clarity the vocals sounded more realistic then before. 

Again I want to stress all that I said were slight changes. please don't throw down 80-100 dollars on a cable just for a slight audio change. I do think its worth it however due to the durability and ease of use. My only regret is I did not get it sleeved with a brown color to match the headphone. ^_~

If I missed anything or you want more detail just let me know. Hopefully this helps a bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back