Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,177 of 2,773
Quote:
Has anyone tried swapping 1r with other earpads?

Yeah.  I changed them to the dt250's valor pads.  The bass quantity and maybe even quality increases, but it gives it a more laid back, warmer sound.  It also gives it a slightly larger soundstage.  I prefer the original pads for comfort and their overall sound.  They sound great either way.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,179 of 2,773
Okay so I just received my MDR-1R headphones, and from the first few seconds of listening I found the highs were very muffled..

Then after adjusting it around me ears I found that I have to wear it towards the front, and that's when the highs become much, much better for me. I'm just so used to wearing my HD449 towards the back, a complete opposite with the MDR-1R for me which I have to wear towards the front. Highs still aren't anything special, but definitely much more tolerable than my initial experience.

Curious if anyone else had a similar experience with the highs?
I guess for me, placement is just as crucial with over-ears as it is with on-ears.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,180 of 2,773
Quote:
Okay so I just received my MDR-1R headphones, and from the first few seconds of listening I found the highs were very muffled..

Then after adjusting it around me ears I found that I have to wear it towards the front, and that's when the highs become much, much better for me. I'm just so used to wearing my HD449 towards the back, a complete opposite with the MDR-1R for me which I have to wear towards the front. Highs still aren't anything special, but definitely much more tolerable than my initial experience.

I guess for me, placement is just as crucial with over-ears as it is with on-ears.

Probably because the drivers are angled.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,181 of 2,773
Quote:

when you EQ the treble a littl higher, the highs really open up. try it

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,182 of 2,773
Quote:

Headphone Position

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,184 of 2,773
I'm trying out the Bluetooth version of these headphones and I'm really enjoying them. (Caveat: Bluetooth sounds awful on my desktop and Macbook, but sounds great on my iPhone. I'm pretty sure this has less to do with the headphones and more with the Bluetooth stack and hardware on each platform.) One thing I'm slightly worried about: I use the passive cable all the time, but it doesn't have a locking mechanism. How durable are 3.5mm headphone ports? Will there ever come a time when the port won't be able to hold the cable due to wear? (A silly issue, I know, but I want to make sure that my expensive headphones will last me many years.)

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,185 of 2,773
Quote:
One thing I'm slightly worried about: I use the passive cable all the time, but it doesn't have a locking mechanism. How durable are 3.5mm headphone ports? Will there ever come a time when the port won't be able to hold the cable due to wear? (A silly issue, I know, but I want to make sure that my expensive headphones will last me many years.)

I have the same reservations that's why I just left them on unless I really have to detach the cable for travel purposes. It's been 5months since I bought the MDR-1r and it still is as good as new... 
dt880smile.png

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #2,187 of 2,773
is there an authorized U.S. reseller for the silver/brown version of mdr-1r?

The silver/brown version is not available in the States and, therefore, can not be purchased by an authorized reseller. I had to have mine imported from Japan.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,188 of 2,773
Anyone fallen asleep with them? Or use them when lying in bed?

Sorry for this strange questions. Always uses an iem and now i notice that I listen alot of music in bed while reading. Is a bit weird with the overears headphones.
And bit afraid that i will damge it when i fall asleep.

PS i love headfi...when i notice something when listening...it turns out to be noticed by other owners already.
Just a few hours so far...its super comfortable and light. Sound is laid back and smooth. The highs even for a non high fan like me is a bit subdued. No worries about a hiss.

Hopefully with more burn in it will open up more. Or try the fix wearing it a bit forward. Is really nice headphone...sound signature works well. But lack a bit of excitement.

What i really noticed with the headphone is the roominess/stage it has compared with my Qjays. Quite eyeopening for a headphone noob like me.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,189 of 2,773
Anyone fallen asleep with them? Or use them when lying in bed?

Sorry for this strange questions. Always uses an iem and now i notice that I listen alot of music in bed while reading. Is a bit weird with the overears headphones.
And bit afraid that i will damge it when i fall asleep.

PS i love headfi...when i notice something when listening...it turns out to be noticed by other owners already.
Just a few hours so far...its super comfortable and light. Sound is laid back and smooth. The highs even for a non high fan like me is a bit subdued. No worries about a hiss.

Hopefully with more burn in it will open up more. Or try the fix wearing it a bit forward. Is really nice headphone...sound signature works well. But lack a bit of excitement.

What i really noticed with the headphone is the roominess/stage it has compared with my Qjays. Quite eyeopening for a headphone noob like me.

Well on my back its fine. I actually have fallen asleep with them on

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,190 of 2,773
For those of you with the MDR-1RBT, do you hear the navigation rocker rattle when you shake your head? I'm not really bothered by it, but I want to make sure I don't have a slightly defective unit.

Also, does anyone have both the MDR-1R and the MDR-1RBT to compare the sound in passive mode? I know they're constructed a bit differently (though not nearly as much as the 1RNC) and I'm curious how much of a difference this makes. Is the 1RBT in passive as good as the 1R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back