Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,011 of 2,773
Quote:
Did anyone's unit arrive with any cosmetic defects? Mine has a small chip on the metallic-looking portion of the headband that connects the left cup. Also, the right cup has a small white spec which I initially thought was dust but it turns out it's a small chip in the paint. It doesn't sit well with me paying this amount of money and getting cosmetic defects, but I'm also worried about getting a replacement with creaking or jack rattle.

please post a picture of the damage. I am curious what you are talking about. I noticed some small scratches/chips on the metallic-looking portion of the headphones, but I figured that was just d/t me not taking super great care of them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2,012 of 2,773
I noticed I have some small chips/scratches already 
frown.gif
 When the cans are flat in the bag, the cups are seperated by a bumper. This bumper doesn't prevent one cup from sliding in/under the other. The open structure of the end where the jack enters must be sharp enough to cause these scratches... Poundering how to mod this.... 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,013 of 2,773
Quote:
How much did you get them forb? If i were you, id call the people who sold you them up and ask for a replacement.

$225 from Amazon. They've sent another replacement. The original unit had creaking and jack rattle. This unit with the cosmetic defects was the first replacement. I'm worried that I might have to go through several more replacements to get one that is both without creaking/jack rattle and without any cosmetic defects.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,014 of 2,773
Quote:
$225 from Amazon. They've sent another replacement. The original unit had creaking and jack rattle. This unit with the cosmetic defects was the first replacement. I'm worried that I might have to go through several more replacements to get one that is both without creaking/jack rattle and without any cosmetic defects.

Well that sucks, maybe you should buy them from a more expensive retailer because 225 is pretty cheap.  I got them for 250 and they have no physical imperfections.  I do worry though about that in the future.  I'm planning on using these only for portable and getting some mdr ma900s for home use.

I've also heard that the momentums sound very similar to the mdr 1r, but they have better build quality and aren't as comfortable.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2,015 of 2,773
I wonder if I should get a replacement pair seeing as mine has both squeaking and the jack rattle problems but I just put up with the squeaking and did the blu-tak fix. I mean , people here have no problems with their replacement pair but I'm afraid I might "break what's not broken" like get a sonically defective or get a pair with cosmetic defects.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,016 of 2,773
I wonder if I should get a replacement pair seeing as mine has both squeaking and the jack rattle problems but I just put up with the squeaking and did the blu-tak fix. I mean , people here have no problems with their replacement pair but I'm afraid I might "break what's not broken" like get a sonically defective or get a pair with cosmetic defects.

Would they even allow a replacement if you've added blu-tack to it? If they still do i think the replacement will be fine, you're being overly concerned

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,017 of 2,773
Just in case anyone is interested, price went down to 225 on amazon again today. It was 298 yesterday when I looked at it. And of course I got a pair, taking the D7100 out in the rain/snow is quite nerve wrecking.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,018 of 2,773
Quote:
Just in case anyone is interested, price went down to 225 on amazon again today. It was 298 yesterday when I looked at it. And of course I got a pair, taking the D7100 out in the rain/snow is quite nerve wrecking.

That is a nutty price. Honestly, if it stays like there, there's really no question as to what's the best portable full-sized headphone out there for under $350.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,019 of 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

That is a nutty price. Honestly, if it stays like there, there's really no question as to what's the best portable full-sized headphone out there for under $350.

And here it is for $195.99 at Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com). Great time to buy. Posted these deals in the deals thread.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #2,020 of 2,773
Quote:
Carefully. You have to pull the edges out slowly from beneath the edges (near where the drivers are. I took the stock pads off and threw Pearstone Velours on em.

They don't come off with plastic rings only?
http://personalaudio.ru/detail/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt/

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2,022 of 2,773
Okay so I just got my pair last night. Just as a disclaimer, the only pairs of headphones I've had proper experience with are the XB500s (mine) and HD215 (my sister's). So first impressions, after using EQ:

1. great vocals
  2. fantastic response to EQing (used Cowon EQ settings)
  3. smooth bass and punchy kicks
  4. beautiful design and solid feel
  5. not nearly as comfortable as people have stated but still decent
  6. a bit uncomfortable having around the neck
  7. foldable cups make it possible to use as external speakers if desired.
  8. headband sits very close to the head to make it look smaller but a bit weird
  9. rubbing against the outside of the ear cups can be heard

I had to boost the sub-bass a lot though and the same with treble because I felt it wasn't sharp enough and it really helped make the overall sound much clearer.

EDIT: oh yea I forgot to mention, mine appears to have the jack rattle issue as others have mentioned
but it's only really anissue when no music is playing but I still might try the blu tack trick to fix it

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,023 of 2,773
Might as well post my impressions after a few hours of listening.

Love the look and comfort of them. Would've preferred maybe some more metal instead of plastic, but it no way feels cheap and haven't had any creaking/rattling issues so far. They are extremely comfortable. Very light, but secure feel on the top of your head. The cups fit very nicely around my ears, nothing is touching anything it shouldn't and the clamp force is gentle enough for me not have any issues with my glasses. They do build up some heat, but that is to be expected especially since I'm used to iem's.

Really like the sound signature so far. Definately mid centric, which works wonders with vocals. The rest is warm sounding. I prefer a little more bass impact, but as someone mentioned earlier they respond great to EQ'ing (even simple EQ programs). Love the soundstage. It is intimate, but not confined if that makes sense. Details are very nice as well and I really like the instrument seperation. They are less unforgiving than my iem's when it comes to lower quality files, but you don't buy these headphones to listen to crappy youtube rips. They can easily be driven without an amp. I have to up the volume on my Cowon J3 a bit more than my iem's though, but nothing too crazy.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, however these do sound like high quality everyday use headphones. They are quite portable, very comfortable imo, look fantastic and sound very refined. Maybe it's not something you'd buy if you like an extremely neutral or analytical sound signature, but for the price you pay nowadays, the Sony MDR 1R seem like a very good step into more high-end headphones if you get tired of your Beats or Samsung earbuds.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,024 of 2,773

Love the look and comfort of them. Would've preferred maybe some more metal instead of plastic, but it no way feels cheap and haven't had any creaking/rattling issues so far. They are extremely comfortable. Very light, but secure feel on the top of your head. The cups fit very nicely around my ears, nothing is touching anything it shouldn't and the clamp force is gentle enough for me not have any issues with my glasses. They do build up some heat, but that is to be expected especially since I'm used to iem's.

Really like the sound signature so far. Definately mid centric, which works wonders with vocals. The rest is warm sounding. I prefer a little more bass impact, but as someone mentioned earlier they respond great to EQ'ing (even simple EQ programs). Love the soundstage. It is intimate, but not confined if that makes sense. Details are very nice as well and I really like the instrument seperation. They are less unforgiving than my iem's when it comes to lower quality files, but you don't buy these headphones to listen to crappy youtube rips. They can easily be driven without an amp. I have to up the volume on my Cowon J3 a bit more than my iem's though, but nothing too crazy.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, however these do sound like high quality everyday use headphones. They are quite portable, very comfortable imo, look fantastic and sound very refined. Maybe it's not something you'd buy if you like an extremely neutral or analytical sound signature, but for the price you pay nowadays, the Sony MDR 1R seem like a very good step into more high-end headphones if you get tired of your Beats or Samsung earbuds.

I agree with 100% of what you said. Not much more I would say.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,025 of 2,773

I agree with 100% of what you said. Not much more I would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back