Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,982 of 2,773
Quote:

Can you tell me what the benefit for removing the cable when storing would be?

When you say "storing", I'm assuming you mean in the packaged pouch. The benefit I see is that it's one less thing that can break off if it were to ever be hit in some sort of forceful way.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,984 of 2,773
Quote:

oh right, I don't think I'd bother with removing it then

Yup. After thinking about it a little more, I'm probably leaning towards not removing them either. Last thing I want is to mimic everyone's rattle issues with it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #1,985 of 2,773
After scouring the local version of eBay in The Netherlands (Marktplaats) for a replacement of my trusted HD201 I came across the AKG K 167. Reading reviews on them I came across a thread mentioning the MDR-1R and that those cans where free with a Sony Xpreria Z and were flooding on "eBay". I managed to get my silver MDR-1Rs for EUR 80 and picked them up yesterday.

I'm mostly using headphones at work. I'm one hour in listening to one of my favorite podcasts and I'm hearing stuff I didn't hear before! Wonderful!

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,986 of 2,773
After scouring the local version of eBay in The Netherlands (Marktplaats) for a replacement of my trusted HD201 I came across the AKG K 167. Reading reviews on them I came across a thread mentioning the MDR-1R and that those cans where free with a Sony Xpreria Z and were flooding on "eBay". I managed to get my silver MDR-1Rs for EUR 80 and picked them up yesterday.

I'm mostly using headphones at work. I'm one hour in listening to one of my favorite podcasts and I'm hearing stuff I didn't hear before! Wonderful!

Really? Wow 80 euros is damn cheap, especially for the silver pair

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,987 of 2,773
Quote:

Wow! that is a steal... I got mine for AU$180 and I thought that was one of the best deals. Good on yah!

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,989 of 2,773
I'm stilling bidding on other MDR-1Rs. If I manage to get a couple more, I'm thinking to put them up for sale here.

So far, I'm really enjoying these cans! The comfort around the ears is just phenomenal! I must have a sensitive scalp though, because I do feel the headband. (Maybe left over from wearing the HD201 :wink: ) I'm playing with the length of the headband to see if I can get some relief. Any thoughts on that, someone?

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,991 of 2,773
Quote:
That is an amazing price. Hopefully there aren't any fakes floating around eBay.

I picked these up instead of having them mailed. I must say, I was a little sceptical to pick up a pair for even less than half the regular price. They were still sealed! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,993 of 2,773
By the way, I'm using these cans in combination with a iPod Nano 6th Gen. and 50% volume is loud enough for me most of the times. I just tried 100% volume and that's too loud for me to listen to for a prolonged time. I would say that they're pretty easy to drive.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,994 of 2,773
Might retire my mdr-1r now as my Mad Dog has arrived, so much better in any way except the need of amping. Still like the sound just the comfort ruining here.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,995 of 2,773
I got mine last night so I took them with me on my journey to work this morning. First impressions are good. Very comfortable, good sound out of the box and no jack issues mentioned by others. The MDR-1R's are slight bass heavy but this is easily cured using one of the EQ presets on my iPod. Very comfortable as well, I prefer them to my Momentums (these were sitting slightly on ear). I think the MDR-1R's are very good value for money for under £100. I have a pair of Amperior's so I've been spoilt by their sound but the Momentums are on their way out to make room for the MDR-1R's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back