Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #1,741 of 2,773
Quote:
LOL
maybe not enough burn-in for him yet? 
Finding replacements for your z1k's?

Been poking around at the idea.  Right now my SE535s are doing a pretty good job as my primary portable.  I may end up just getting the Z1000 again... as I read about other similar headphones in the same price category, I can't find one that seems as ergonomic, isolates both ways as well, is as easy to drive, and fits in a pretty small space.

Other than good IEMs of course

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,742 of 2,773
Quote:
M50 better than MDR-1R at details?

Huge turnoff.

I have listened to both and don't believe that is the case.  My theory is this:  Since the mids on the MDR-1R are so forward, the details are under a microscope and flaws or lack of detail are easier to hear.  I can't think of too many closed headphones with forward mids released recently, so I imagine these are appealing to "mid heads".

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,743 of 2,773
Quote:
Been poking around at the idea.  Right now my SE535s are doing a pretty good job as my primary portable.  I may end up just getting the Z1000 again... as I read about other similar headphones in the same price category, I can't find one that seems as ergonomic, isolates both ways as well, is as easy to drive, and fits in a pretty small space.

Other than good IEMs of course

ah, if you get the z1000 again, maybe go for the mdr 7520? They made some changes in that one against the z1000 (what jude told me from what he was told by the lead designer).  and it's at 400 on amazon atm

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,744 of 2,773
Quote:
I have listened to both and don't believe that is the case.  My theory is this:  Since the mids on the MDR-1R are so forward, the details are under a microscope and flaws or lack of detail are easier to hear.  I can't think of too many closed headphones with forward mids released recently, so I imagine these are appealing to "mid heads".

Thanks for the other side of the coin.

I can think of a few mid forward closed back sets, but I tend to hunt these down because I'm a sucker for midrange.  Forward mids and smooth relaxing sound?  That'd be an interesting combo.  Syrupy? Like classic Senns?  Maybe not as dark?

Quote:
ah, if you get the z1000 again, maybe go for the mdr 7520? They made some changes in that one against the z1000 (what jude told me from what he was told by the lead designer).  and it's at 400 on amazon atm

Yes I've considered that as well, but Jude also mentioned a few sonic differences and I really like what the Z1000 had to offer.  I'm not sure a "tweak" to its sound is something I'd personally be on board with

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,745 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks for the other side of the coin.

I can think of a few mid forward closed back sets, but I tend to hunt these down because I'm a sucker for midrange.  Forward mids and smooth relaxing sound?  That'd be an interesting combo.  Syrupy? Like classic Senns?  Maybe not as dark?

Yes I've considered that as well, but Jude also mentioned a few sonic differences and I really like what the Z1000 had to offer.  I'm not sure a "tweak" to its sound is something I'd personally be on board with

ah, kk :) hope you find a pair that suites you soon!

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,746 of 2,773

Sorry to butt in, but which of these would sound most like the 1r? (If at all) I tend to prefer a mid-range emphasised sound, and like the mdr NC version in passive mode. Is either of these mentioned similar but on a higher level?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,747 of 2,773
Quote:
Sorry to butt in, but which of these would sound most like the 1r? (If at all) I tend to prefer a mid-range emphasised sound, and like the mdr NC version in passive mode. Is either of these mentioned similar but on a higher level?

:) I wouldn't be exactly the right person to ask (seeing that I haven't tried any of the 1R's or the Z1000 (returned it before hearing it)). Although I'm pretty sure someone on this thread has (a_recording most likely, though I don't know if he's tried the 1RNC... he's tried the z1000). The 7520 and the z1000 are practically the same,, except the 7520 has some minor tweaks (bit more bass, imagery). I think you'd be best of possibly asking Jude since he's tried all of the.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,748 of 2,773
Quote:

The MDR-1RNC in passive mode has a thicker, heavier sound than the passive-only MDR-1R. Still, to me the MDR-1RNC still sounds good in passive mode for an active noise canceling headphone. That said, if you really like the MDR-1RNC in passive mode--and you're looking for that, but with better overall sound, more refinement--then the MDR-1R is probably going to be a good bet.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,749 of 2,773
Not only me but my wife also find the Sony mdr-1r so fun and engaging to listen to because of the mids and bass. She really want it herself to have at the office at her office. Listened alot lately with C&C BH with the mdr-1r, a small china portable amp. The change was hardly there except that the bass got more punchy and faster, not as confused. Now that ive listened for some days on it is hard going back as they do sound better overall in the sound.

Best buy I've had in a while specially with the sale on them as I got em as cheap as a pair of ath-m50.

What will the next buy be? now as I found out I like mids more than I belived, really nice with all the jazz that I listen alot too.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,750 of 2,773
The MDR-1RNC in passive mode has a thicker, heavier sound than the passive-only MDR-1R. Still, to me the MDR-1RNC still sounds good in passive mode for an active noise canceling headphone. That said, if you really like the MDR-1RNC in passive mode--and you're looking for that, but with better overall sound, more refinement--then the MDR-1R is probably going to be a good bet.

Thanks Jude. So how do the 7520 and z1000 compare to the 1r? A completely different kettle of fish? I read a review of the 7520s that said they make great portable phones. Additionally them seem to have good isolation which may make up for no Noise cancelling.

Essentially I'm looking at the 1r, 1r BT and 7520/z1000 for portable use. I didn't think the 1r isolated that we'll though when I tried in a store.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #1,751 of 2,773
Quote:
M50 better than MDR-1R at details?

Huge turnoff.

Don't be... that was my initial impression. I'd never trade-in my MDR-1r even for a couple of M50s 
wink_face.gif

One might have the same impression at first because the MDR-1r is so smooth in the upper frequency. 
At close inspection... Sony is still better! A very relaxing listen even for long periods at a time.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,752 of 2,773
Quote:

Yup i agree with you, because of its forward sound flaws are easier to hear

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,753 of 2,773
I was about to buy a Silver/Brown Sony MDR-1R for $250. Until i saw Sennheiser Amperiors for $160. 

Please do tell me i made the right choice. How does the MDR-1R SQ compares to the Amperiors?
There has been lots of comparison between the MDR-1R and the Momentums. As far as i read Amperiors sound a bit better than the Momentums. 

I come from a Grado SR80, so i guess any of these would be a step up (i hope) from what i have. At least on the comfort department.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,754 of 2,773
Quote:

Don't be... that was my initial impression. I'd never trade-in my MDR-1r even for a couple of M50s 
wink_face.gif

One might have the same impression at first because the MDR-1r is so smooth in the upper frequency. 
At close inspection... Sony is still better! A very relaxing listen even for long periods at a time.

Sadly that a lot of people take that treble "cheating" for better details.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,755 of 2,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back