Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,756 of 2,773
Quote:
I was about to buy a Silver/Brown Sony MDR-1R for $250. Until i saw Sennheiser Amperiors for $160. 

Please do tell me i made the right choice. How does the MDR-1R SQ compares to the Amperiors?
There has been lots of comparison between the MDR-1R and the Momentums. As far as i read Amperiors sound a bit better than the Momentums. 

I come from a Grado SR80, so i guess any of these would be a step up (i hope) from what i have. At least on the comfort department.

I guess if you compare the momentum w/ 1r and amperior w/ momentum, you can get a general idea, but the 1r is the recently found comfort phone (people say it's the most comfy they've had... take that with a grain of salt). A_recording has done a comparison between momentum and 1r

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,757 of 2,773
Quote:
What do you mean?

You can read about it here.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/frequency-response-of-headphones

Essentially accentuated, sharper high frequencies will make phones sound more detailed. Beyer is famous for doing that.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,758 of 2,773
Quote:
Essentially accentuated, sharper high frequencies will make phones sound more detailed. Beyer is famous for doing that.

Isn't the "cheating" implied when the increased treble comes at cost of the quality of the lower ranges? Just like emphasizing bass for impact is cheating at the cost of detail, that is.

I think if the quality is there over the whole spectrum it becomes more of a matter of taste.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,760 of 2,773
Excessive top end actually ruins detail and timbre. And why do people think detail is all in the treble range?

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,761 of 2,773
Personally I agree that it's not correct. But, on the other hand, the perception of extreme frequencies decreases more for some than for others with age, so maybe some prefer trebly phones because they need them to hear the bits that enrich the midrange better?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,763 of 2,773
Quote:
I was about to buy a Silver/Brown Sony MDR-1R for $250. Until i saw Sennheiser Amperiors for $160. 

Please do tell me i made the right choice. How does the MDR-1R SQ compares to the Amperiors?
There has been lots of comparison between the MDR-1R and the Momentums. As far as i read Amperiors sound a bit better than the Momentums. 

I come from a Grado SR80, so i guess any of these would be a step up (i hope) from what i have. At least on the comfort department.

Amperior have punchier bass and more rocking sound, treble is more lively too
1R is smoother and sweeter

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #1,765 of 2,773
Finally got around to post my review/comparison out. Most MDR-1R and Momemtum are great headphones, I am glad I heard them both myself.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647605/

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,767 of 2,773
Well, I just got these today (2 weeks of shipping from AccessoryJack...) and I have to say I'm really enjoying them. They're the best portable I've ever had (I'd say better than the Z1000).

They're comfy, beautiful, and really sound quite good. It's smooth, almost to a fault. The treble is definitely rolled-off, giving it a very smooth, unfatiguing sound. The bass is relatively strong for me (a bit more than the HD600) and a bit boomy, but pleasant. I love the mids, vocals are well positioned and the soundstaging is better than average for a closed portable. There is a bit of a veil like the HD600; I'd actually describe it as a bassier, portable HD600. I can see why people say that these aren't particularly detailed; the detailing is there but hard to pick up due to how smooth these are. The best comparisons that I can think of are the HD600 and UM3X, although probably not as good as either. For midheads, this is pretty much the perfect portable.

Of course, this is without any burn-in for me. It's a keeper though.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,768 of 2,773
Quote:
Well, I just got these today (2 weeks of shipping from AccessoryJack...) and I have to say I'm really enjoying them. They're the best portable I've ever had (I'd say better than the Z1000).

They're comfy, beautiful, and really sound quite good. It's smooth, almost to a fault. The treble is definitely rolled-off, giving it a very smooth, unfatiguing sound. The bass is relatively strong for me (a bit more than the HD600) and a bit boomy, but pleasant. I love the mids, vocals are well positioned and the soundstaging is better than average for a closed portable. There is a bit of a veil like the HD600; I'd actually describe it as a bassier, portable HD600. I can see why people say that these aren't particularly detailed; the detailing is there but hard to pick up due to how smooth these are. The best comparisons that I can think of are the HD600 and UM3X, although probably not as good as either. For midheads, this is pretty much the perfect portable.

:) glad to see you're loving them!

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,769 of 2,773
Quote:
Does anyone own both the Ex1000 and the MDR 1Rs? I'm looking to sell my Ex1000 to fund a closed hp that sounds similar to it. Does the MDR 1s sound similar to the EX1000s? Thanks a bunch!

no they are different, you might try the 7550 instead, but i personally think the 7550 is better than the 1R. i dont own a 7550 but i own its japanese counterpart-- the ex800st. i also tried the ex1000 on different meets

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,770 of 2,773

Nice impressions glad you like them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back