Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,726 of 2,773
Hey guys, so I'm really thinking about picking up these mdr-1r as my first truly high quality head phones.  I like the look and comfort they seem to have, and the sound seems like its at worst above average.

My concern is that I listen to a decent amount of rap, and would like at least a decent amount of low end punch in the sound, which these headphones might lack a bit.  However, I've heard that EQ'ing them might do the trick.  Based on what your experiences, do you think a newbie like myself could pick up a sub $100 amp alongside them and get a much stronger low end?

I also could opt for some other headphones like the AT-M50s or the Beyer 7700 that supposedly have some punchy base, but I really like what I see with these sony's.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,727 of 2,773
Quote:
Hey all, I'm fairly new to posting here on head-fi, but I've been perusing the site and soaking up all this free information for years, so I figured it might be time for me to start contributing!  I'll start with the MDR-1R, since it's a fairly new headphone and there are probably quite a few people out there that are on the fence about them looking for as much information as they can before deciding on a purchase.  My short review probably won't have anything in the way of super-ground-breaking information, but hopefully it can help either reinforce or make people rethink their preconceptions.

I bought them brand new, and they've have had about 100 hours of burn-in so far.  I feel as though the sound has stopped evolving to the point where I can make an informed opinion about them.  There's only one really big change over the course of the burn-in that I've noticed (the bass), and I'll explain that in more detail later on.  First, the basics!

1. Style - I like them, nothing else really to say.  This is one of the only purely subjective qualities of a headphone, and it's also just about the only quality that you can make an informed opinion about just by looking at pictures.  You like the way they look or you don't!

1. Comfort - A+.  These are some lightweight, super-comfortable headphones.  I can wear them all day without ever feeling itchy, sweaty, or otherwise uncomfortable.  After owning several less-comfortable headphones, these feel like heaven.  I will say, however, that my ear does come close to being pressed against the driver housing.  Anyone with an ear that sticks out slightly farther from their head than mine might feel some pressure and discomfort there. 

1. Soundstage - The soundstage is about what you would expect from a $300 closed headphone.  It's there, it's pretty good, I feel that it's slightly wider than it is deep, but it's not going to knock your socks off.

1. Sound: Mids and Highs - The sound signature of the mids and highs remained relatively consistent throughout the burn-in phase, and that's a good thing.  They're slightly warm, but feel very smooth and true to the music.  They're not the most detailed nor the fastest that I've ever listened to (nor are they blurry and slow), but there's just something about the overall sound signature of the mids and highs that I'm in love with and can listen to for long periods without growing bored or fatigued.  I think out of all of the things I like about this headphone, the sound of the mids and highs are at the top of the list.

1. Sound: Bass - Throughout the course of the burn-in, the quantity and quality of the bass changed fairly drastically.  When I first tried them out, I was very concerned because the bass was hardly there at all.  I could hear it, but it was very subdued and certainly didn't make me feel the music the way good bass should.  After ~20 hours or so, it really started to come forward and shine.  There was a period of 4-5 hours where the bass was absolutely beautiful across the entire spectrum and I couldn't have loved a pair of closed headphones more.  Unfortunately, after that, mid-bass just kept coming and getting stronger and stronger.  There came a point where it became the dominating factor in most songs with a flat EQ, and I was pretty bummed.  Thankfully, the MDR-1R responds quite well to EQ.  I wound up boosting the sub-bass (about +3 dB) and toning down the mid-bass (about -4 dB), and thankfully it now sounds more or less the same as it did during those blissful 5 hours.  I'll have to keep tinkering with it though.

1. Other notes - The construction seems reasonably nice, though it's too early for me to tell if/when durability issues might come in to play.  The detachable cable is a welcome feature, since I know of several other competing headphones in this price range with a fixed cable.  They have low impedance and high sensitivity; an amp might help slightly, but it's not going to be very cost efficient unless you already have one.  Due to their size, weight, and lack of need for an amp, they make for great portable headphones.

Coming from someone somewhat-experienced in the low- to mid-range closed headphone arena, I feel strongly that the MDR-1R more than holds its own at the asking price, and I'll certainly be holding on to mine for a long time to come.  If you can find them on sale, consider them a bargain!

That's a nice write-up mate, You should post it on the product page in the gear section for easier exposure.

Agree. That was an excellent summation/review, beautifully written.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,728 of 2,773
What kind of connector does the cable have on the headphone end? Not that I imagine using them as a phone headset much, but having the option to get a cable with mic/remote that works with my Windows Phone (or on the PC) would still be nice.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,729 of 2,773
Thanks for the advice.  Maybe I'll try them out and compare.  I tried breaking the Sony's in for a few hours.  Just couldn't get there for me but as I said, I thought they had great features.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,730 of 2,773
Has anyone spent a decent amount of time with both the standard and BT version? I quite fancy a BT headset and am considering the Sony and the UE6000. I had the NC Sony and liked it in passive mode but not NC alas.

Any opinions on the Sonys in corded and wireless modes vs the 1r would be appreciated.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,731 of 2,773
Quote:
Hey guys, so I'm really thinking about picking up these mdr-1r as my first truly high quality head phones.  I like the look and comfort they seem to have, and the sound seems like its at worst above average.

My concern is that I listen to a decent amount of rap, and would like at least a decent amount of low end punch in the sound, which these headphones might lack a bit.  However, I've heard that EQ'ing them might do the trick.  Based on what your experiences, do you think a newbie like myself could pick up a sub $100 amp alongside them and get a much stronger low end?

I also could opt for some other headphones like the AT-M50s or the Beyer 7700 that supposedly have some punchy base, but I really like what I see with these sony's.

MDR-1R doesn't have enough bass to enjoy rap.  I would suggest taking a serious look at the M-100 for multiple genres, including rap and EDM.

Regarding a low cost amp that will significantly boost low end, I always recommend the FiiO E11.  It will sound much better through the LOD of your music player/smartphone. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,732 of 2,773
Quote:
MDR-1R doesn't have enough bass to enjoy rap.  I would suggest taking a serious look at the M-100 for multiple genres, including rap and EDM.

Regarding a low cost amp that will significantly boost low end, I always recommend the FiiO E11.  It will sound much better through the LOD of your music player/smartphone. 

So if you had to say yes or no, would the FiiO E11 boost the bass up to enjoy rap music?  

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,734 of 2,773
Quote:

So if you had to say yes or no, would the FiiO E11 boost the bass up to enjoy rap music?  

Not trying to avoid answering, but it is really subjective, but if you are looking for more of a basshead can, you might want to check out the basshead thread.  One that comes to mind is the M-Audio Q40 that sells for half the MDR-1R cost and sounds great with incredible bass paired with the E11 (one of the best bass combos at any price), but they need amping and don't have the same comfort or build quality as the MDR-1R, so there is always a tradeoff.  If I primarily listened to rap, the MDR-1R wouldn't be near the top of my list.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #1,735 of 2,773
Quote:

If you're looking for detail, you really should give the DT770LE (32 ohm Anniversary Edition) a shot.  BTW, I thought the MDR-1Rs were muddy at first too, but they are starting to sound much better after 4-5 hours of break-in.  For list price, I don't think it's worth keeping them, but I got them for a great deal on Amazon so it's making the decision that much harder.

Quote:
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first response.  I picked the MDR-1R up with Audio Technica ATH M50 (for my brother in law).  I was looking for a pair of closed cans to travel with.  Not a big IEM guy though haven't heard the likes of JH Audio etc, and have yet to hear a good set of NC Cans. Conclusion, MDR's are going back, M50s are staying and getting another pair.  May look at the AKG 550 and DT770, but frankly I'm quite pleased with the sound of the M50s for closed cans especially.  However, every other feature, comfort, style, weight, portability won hands down for the Sony.  I was very disappointed as the Sony's are the most comfortable, light, and ergonomically friendly cans I have ever worn.  Those features alone almost made me keep them.  However, I find the overall sound muddy, just not getting the detail I want from any frequency range.  I prefer detail to most everything else, listen to a lot of classical music, prog rock, indie rock, and old school rap :).  Finally, not to start an argument, just telling you my perspective so you can care or disregard my opinon but, I rank recordings and cans above everything else.  I'm not a big amp/dac/cable guy.  Just want to find good cans for the money and listen to great tunes.  I wanted to thank everyone for all of the great advice, and especially some new music I hadn't heard!

Thanks
TO

Quote:
MDR-V6? Then again these are my first pair of real phones :) Everything went from muddy to crystal clear (bass, mids/vocals, highs). Bought them when Amazon was having the knock out sales for $50 + $4 tax lol

exactly the same experience here... I was really disappointed at first but everything improved after burn-in. I auditioned the ATH M50s and really liked it; even think it's a bit better than the MDR 1r in terms of detail. But if you take into account everything else... MDR1r hands down 
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,738 of 2,773
Quote:
Had I dream last night that I was inside a deli in my town and I ordered a sandwich and got a free pair of MDR-1r's 
rolleyes.gif

omg... dreams about headphones. I once dreamed up the most rad full-sized sony phones... they looked WONDERFUL.. except it'd be too hard to describe in words... it's like trying to describe the SR-009 w/ out the other person having not seen it... except these were much more rad >_< and from sony :) but man... I feel you. Get phones in a dream, but in reality = lol
Quote:

exactly the same experience here... I was really disappointed at first but everything improved after burn-in. I auditioned the ATH M50s and really liked it; even think it's a bit better than the MDR 1r in terms of detail. But if you take into account everything else... MDR1r hands down 
atsmile.gif

:) glad you're happy with your purchase

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,739 of 2,773
Quote:

atsmile.gif

M50 better than MDR-1R at details?

Huge turnoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back