Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,685 of 2,773
Soundstage is ok, as for gaming I would rather get an closed headphone like the AKG K550 or DT70p if you can pay as much for a good closed headphone with above average soundstage to be closed. They are engaging for gaming, but I would not have used it for competive fps gaming.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,686 of 2,773
Quote:
Soundstage is ok, as for gaming I would rather get an closed headphone like the AKG K550 or DT70p if you can pay as much for a good closed headphone with above average soundstage to be closed. They are engaging for gaming, but I would not have used it for competive fps gaming.

Yeah I'd like the akg K550 for gaming as well, but i have heard people complaining about the treble and i am quite sensitive to sibilance. I don't listen at a high volume so that isn't the problem.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,687 of 2,773
They are fatiguing if you are that kinda person who dont like the sparkly highs. I never had any problems with the akg, but my wife couldnt listen to them for a long time.

As for the Sony they are much more relaxing to listen to, sometimes you dont want to analyze everything in the songs then these really shine.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,688 of 2,773
Quote:
They are fatiguing if you are that kinda person who dont like the sparkly highs. I never had any problems with the akg, but my wife couldnt listen to them for a long time.

As for the Sony they are much more relaxing to listen to, sometimes you dont want to analyze everything in the songs then these really shine.

Yeah i really don't understand what's so enjoyable about sparkly highs. I like it in classical since it doesn't disturb me, but female vocals sound like someone's scratching my ear drums whenever there's an S. Reason why i hate my DT880...

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,689 of 2,773
Quote:
Yeah i really don't understand what's so enjoyable about sparkly highs. I like it in classical since it doesn't disturb me, but female vocals sound like someone's scratching my ear drums whenever there's an S. Reason why i hate my DT880...

Hmm I think we have very different ideas of what "sparkly highs" mean. What you just described I would call "sibilance," which is a problem when you have boosted lower treble (around 7-10k). To me, "sparkle" is when treble is nicely extended (above 12-16k), which you can hear mostly in metallic percussion instruments like cymbals and especially triangles. It's a matter of naturally and flatly extended vs. superficially boosted but rolled off at the very top.

I like sparkly but not sibilant highs.
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,690 of 2,773
Quote:
Hmm I think we have very different ideas of what "sparkly highs" mean. What you just described I would call "sibilance," which is a problem when you have boosted lower treble (around 7-10k). To me, "sparkle" is when treble is nicely extended (above 12-16k), which you can hear mostly in metallic percussion instruments like cymbals and especially triangles. It's a matter of naturally and flatly extended vs. superficially boosted but rolled off at the very top.

wink_face.gif

Well i don't get disturbed when i listen to classical music or rock/acoustic (why i love my grado's) but when there are female vocals sometimes the 12-16k annoys me because when i use my eq to tone it down there really is an improvement.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,691 of 2,773

wink_face.gif

Spot on what I meant with the highs, and for female vocals it is in the mids. And the mdr-1r have a little push in the mids so. But also for some a sparkly highs can be to much, some just dont prefer to have the higs so forward and prefer the laid back signatures instead. But for sibiant headphones most of us I bet keep it away from our buying list.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,692 of 2,773
Quote:

Spot on what I meant with the highs, and for female vocals it is in the mids. And the mdr-1r have a little push in the mids so. But also for some a sparkly highs can be to much, some just dont prefer to have the higs so forward and prefer the laid back signatures instead. But for sibiant headphones most of us I bet keep it away from our buying list.

IMO, Momentum has more sibilance than the MDR-1R.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,693 of 2,773
Quote:

I dunno, when i eq every other freq except the last 3 i don't see any difference. BUT i know that my ears are weird so there's that.
But on topic i think i'm going to try the MDR-1R to see how they are if you guys say that they are good. I just hope that they have more soundstage than my Senn HD 380 Pro so that they are a bit better in gaming.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,694 of 2,773
Quote:
no way. soundstage is about the same as on the zx700 which is mediocre.

Didn't have a chance to audition zx700 but I've found MDR-1R sounstage quite expansive for that size closed phones.
Definitely not ear to ear Momentum experience and bigger than K271S.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,695 of 2,773
Quote:
Out of what, portable? Haven't experienced that out of desktop setup, always pretty well controlled, a bit loose but never overwhelming.
Have you listened unmodded Denon/Fostex?
blink.gif

An unmodded Denon as in something like the D2000 or D600? Sure have. Both still have more midbass control than the MDR-1R.

Nope. I've used them out of many sources. They simply don't sound good at louder volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back