Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Jan 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,531 of 2,773
Quote:
There was a post that said that the extra China-made cable sounded less balanced and more bassy. Anyone able to back this up? I personally don't think  I can hear a difference.

Not sure but I will try mine out when I get them this week. This brings up something I was wondering though. I wonder if a regular 3.5 to 3.5 will fit the mdr's jack connection. If so I will most likely be getting a custom cable for it. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,532 of 2,773
Quote:
Not sure but I will try mine out when I get them this week. This brings up something I was wondering though. I wonder if a regular 3.5 to 3.5 will fit the mdr's jack connection. If so I will most likely be getting a custom cable for it. 

This probably won't be of help to you but my Thailand-made cable has the jack rattle issue and I used Blu-tak to fix it but my China-made cable is just a little loose but doesn't rattle and isn't as bad as the Thailand-made one. But I still use the Thailand-made one cuz it's the one with the volume controls and pause/play button which I use on my device.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,533 of 2,773
Quote:

confused.gif
  You don't like it when they glue dried multi-color pasta to headphones???  What kind of Head-Fier are you?

You're right. I really should be supporting my local independent grocer! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,534 of 2,773
Well, just ordered a pair from Accessory Jack. We'll see how good they are soon. To others that've used it before: when can I expect them to be in?

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,538 of 2,773
Mine have almost 300 hours on them now,and they sound quite balanced and not veiled anymore. These headphones benefit from burn in for sure. The sound now is actually pretty good,musical,smooth but not veiled,and they have pretty good imaging and detail.

I think they are good headphones for the price,with good build quality,very good comfort and looks,and quite good sound quality.
My only complain now about their sound is that the mids remain a bit rich and strong in some frequencies,and that can cause a bit of ear fatigue sometimes,at least that's what happens to me.

For example,I was listening to a song,lady in red by Chris De Burgh,a few minutes ago,and I noticed again that vocals sound a bit strong to my ears,and I didn't have the volume too loud. I switched to shure srh 840 and it's better in that aspect,vocals now don't sound annoying.

I gave just an example,but this is something I've noticed in many songs,I feel some mid to mid high frequensies a bit more present than I would like.It's not that bad,and I'm thinking that maybe it's not a fault and it's just me that have this sensitivity in these frequensies...I don't know...

Can you comment on this? Do you also feel some vocals,instruments etc at mids to mid highs,to be a bit annoying sometimes?Or is it just me? I don't have this problem with my other headphones to be honest.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,541 of 2,773
Can anyone point me to a decent semi-hard travel case for the MDR-1R/-1RBT?  I have the -1RBT, which is just perfect for my needs, but the soft carry pouch doesn't really suit me.  It looks like the -1RNC comes with a more form-fitting carrying case, and I could try sourcing one, but it does seem to be that protective, and undoubtedly will be expensive.  Other than generic semi-hard cases on ebay, I haven't found anything yet.  Many thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,542 of 2,773
Can anyone point me to a decent semi-hard travel case for the MDR-1R/-1RBT?  I have the -1RBT, which is just perfect for my needs, but the soft carry pouch doesn't really suit me.  It looks like the -1RNC comes with a more form-fitting carrying case, and I could try sourcing one, but it does seem to be that protective, and undoubtedly will be expensive.  Other than generic semi-hard cases on ebay, I haven't found anything yet.  Many thanks.

http://www.slappa.com/HardBody-PRO-Full-Size-Headphone-case

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,543 of 2,773
Quote:
i think i am going to bail on my mdr1r.
maybe try out the m100s.

I wanted to go for the M100s before I got my mdr-1r but got the Sony's in the end due to them being more available for me (Could just buy them in the shop). Is there a reason why you're going for the M100s now? Just curious to know if I would have been better off with the V-modas.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,544 of 2,773
Quote:
I wanted to go for the M100s before I got my mdr-1r but got the Sony's in the end due to them being more available for me (Could just buy them in the shop). Is there a reason why you're going for the M100s now? Just curious to know if I would have been better off with the V-modas.

not really.  the K167/267, M100 and MDR1r were all 4 options i had wanted.  i am still really enjoying my 167, but the mdr1r just wasn't the sound sig i am looking for.  i am going to try the m100 next, hopefully.  they may or may not be what i am looking for either, but id like to see.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,545 of 2,773

Users who are viewing this thread

• b510
Back