Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,397 of 2,773
There is some discussion regarding DT1350 unit to unit variations
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/help-akg-k550-beyerdynamic-dt-1350-t50p

If Beyer house sound is too dry for you and you are okay with supra-aural ATH-ESW9 is another great alternative.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,398 of 2,773
Quote:
Get a DT1350 from B&H Photo/Video. They're on sale for the holidays and are almost exactly 180 euros.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755710-REG/Beyerdynamic_702072_DT_1350_On_Ear_Closed_Back.html

They're the best portable headphone anywhere near the price. Neutral with great treble and an absolutely bottomless low end, near perfect isolation, phenomenal build quality, and very comfortable. They may not look like much but they're very, very good. I'd suggest the DT1350 over any other available portable can because it can do everything very well. Classical, dubstep, you name it. The 1Rs would probably fail at dubstep due to the non-aggressive sound. The DT1350 can be both aggressive and gentle. It'll render what the song dictates.

You might wanna get a Sansa Clip+ too, because the DT1350 is very DAC-dependent, and the Clip+ is the cheapest way to get a good DAC. It won't sound bad out of lower end equipment but it will be its best with a good DAC. 

EDIT: Looks like they're out of stock at B&H. Maybe try somewhere else, or wait until after Christmas. 

Oh, I heard good things about those, but I forgot to mention I hate supra-aural headphones :frowning2: mainly because of comfort (I use glasses) but they tend to not isolate too well (that's case by case I'm sure but I didn't have good experiences so far)
Although wearing them in class for 2 hours wouldn't be a big deal, using them at home while working/playing till the wee hours of the morning (flat mates aren't too happy about hearing my HD555's at 4am) would cause pain, no matter how comfy the softest supra-aural headphone is.

How would the clip+ DAC affect the E11 DAC? double dac'ing? I'm new to this

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,400 of 2,773
Quote:
Are the ultrasone pro 750 a competitor of these?
Are those over ear?

Ouch, every time someone mentions that brand I squint in pain. I hope the damage they've done to my hearing wasn't permanent.
basshead.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,401 of 2,773
Ah, something I can comment on at last - I have both :) The Pro 750 also sits around the ear, and is in the same sort of price range, but that is where the similarities end.

I've just bought a pair of the standard Sony silver 1r 'phones, and have only had <3 hours listening so far, so keep this in mind before considering my comments. The 1r is much warmer/more euphonic sounding than I expected, which is not a signature I've come across before, but I like it. I expected the warmth to mask detail a bit, but it doesn't. I'm still forming an opinion, and need to get used the new sound signature, but I certainly like what I hear so far.

I also own a pair of Pro 750s, and to my ears I don't think the sound signature could be more different between them and the 1r. I should warn that I'm afraid I don't like the sound signature of the 750s as I find the top end too harsh and the mids seem to have a slightly phased effect which makes the mids sound odd for some of the material I listen to. The Pro 750 sound grinds me down quite quickly, and I subsequently end up going back to my other 'phones. I do like the bass on the 750, but it's not enough on its own to compensate for the upper frequencies for me. The 1r has a more pronounced upper bass, whereas the 750 goes lower. So far for me, the 1r is a much more enjoyable 'phone than the '750.

For context, my ears have become rather used to the Denon AHD-5000, which has quite a different signature, and more recently I've been listening to the JVC HA-S500 at work. My taste in music tends to go from electronic (techno, deep house, ambient) to jazz (John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis) and piano music (Nils Frahm).

Your ears may vary of course, and all usual disclaimers apply :) 

I hope that makes sense and isn't too muddled - the festivities have begun!

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,402 of 2,773
Quote:
Oh, I heard good things about those, but I forgot to mention I hate supra-aural headphones :frowning2: mainly because of comfort (I use glasses) but they tend to not isolate too well (that's case by case I'm sure but I didn't have good experiences so far)
Although wearing them in class for 2 hours wouldn't be a big deal, using them at home while working/playing till the wee hours of the morning (flat mates aren't too happy about hearing my HD555's at 4am) would cause pain, no matter how comfy the softest supra-aural headphone is.

I thought he'd mention the hate for supra aural comfort sooner or later... 

Well I listened to the songs you listed, they have tons of beats and what you end with is... slow. I'm not sure which genre to place it in :s but it's slow and lax. I guess the 1R's would do fine since they're meant for the "sounds of today". They had Katy B and Magnetic Man with these... and I listened to only a few seconds of both. I guess the 1R's would fit your needs. What you listened to wasn't terribly fast with a lot of musical lines/voices. 

^take as grains of salt

These are what Jude described to be the comfiest phones :p I haven't heard anyone complain about sweating/hot ears yet... or at least I forgot them mention it since it was mentioned so little. These aren't exactly the kings of isolation like the m-100, but they're more refined. The low impedance makes it easy to drive fine out of an iphone.

Now then, as for DAC stacking, I'm not sure at all. However, the 3 things that matter most in the chain are your power, headphones, and bit-rate. You usually have uncompressed audio as a given with higher-end phones. Your phones pretty much dictate everything else in the chain. All stand alone DAC's now should be fine... I haven't checked up on FiiO in 2 years n whenever I hear the name I cringe. But they seem to be doing better, well enough to make a "flagship". But that can also be attributed to the marketing/people that don't know much of hi-fi/price range. 

As for cable length on all of your portables I think they tend to be on the short side, since you mentioned gaming n iono what you game on. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,403 of 2,773
Thanks. I haven't heat the Pro 750 myself but they were reccommended to me in another thread as they have all the features I want. Coiled cable, detachable cable, velour pads. So on. I don't want something so bright, so I will rule them out.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,404 of 2,773
Wow, thanks so much for going through my list :)

I keep nagging on this but it is a big factor: Does the 1R isolate well enough to not be noticable in a room with some people chatting here and there (a constant "loud whisper" sound) aka art class? 
On a quieter environment, Would they bother the person next to me on a train?

About the dac/amp, an E11 is all I can afford now so I'm stuck with it for better or worse :)

cable lengh shouldn't be a problem. At home I use astro's mixamp which is a meter away from where I sit

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,405 of 2,773
Quote:

Trust me, I know what you're talking about. I hate supra-aural too, but the extremely supple pads of the DT1350s make them very comfy. I wear glasses as well, and have no problems with the DT1350s. They seem to be the one exception to the rule for me. Once you find the "sweet spot" position-wise, you don't forget it. It'll seal perfectly, feel great, and isolate like crazy once you find it. And let me tell you right now: you'll absolutely fall in love with the sound.

The E11 is only an amp. DAC stands for Digital-to-Analog Converter. Basically, it's what converts the digital file on your player to an analog signal that can be amplified and sent to your headphones. Cheaply made players have bad DACs which degrade the sound quality. The Clip+ has a great DAC, which is why it's so popular.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,407 of 2,773
Quote:
I see. Is there any specific sansa clip+ model or are all of them have a good DAC?

I'll need to look into supra-aural, but I think this first buy is going to be circumaural and if I feel the need to I'll get good IEMs or supraaural headphones :)

Going a bit off topic, I think.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,408 of 2,773
Quote:
Wow, thanks so much for going through my list :)

I keep nagging on this but it is a big factor: Does the 1R isolate well enough to not be noticable in a room with some people chatting here and there (a constant "loud whisper" sound) aka art class? 
On a quieter environment, Would they bother the person next to me on a train?

About the dac/amp, an E11 is all I can afford now so I'm stuck with it for better or worse :)

cable lengh shouldn't be a problem. At home I use astro's mixamp which is a meter away from where I sit

got you and the other guy confused, but w/e :D
1R should isolate b/c you'd be having the sound up I guess- not sure about that but maybe SOME PEOPLE HERE (yes you guys in the thread) can tell you about the isolation
wink.gif
 I don't think they'd leak either, but I could always be wrong. I haven't seen any complains about leakage.

Not sure about double DACing since most of us use an LOD and bypass the internal DAC. I don't think it'd be worth the bother to double dac. If it's all you can ford (E11), maybe save up? I forgot what player you're using in the first place.Wait. wth. I thought that thing's an amplifier. Again, every time I hear FiiO, I cringe. But they're the only portable guys in that price range and it disgusts me. Wait nvm. They're the only guys who've even bothered to go to that price range, so you can't blame them. Other companies' faults for not seeing that as a chance to gain customers that don't know much about audio. It looks like FiiO has got them. all other portable amps above the odac are... $600+ but they're good. Problem is, is that not many people got the money :p So if you got a device with a good internal DAC, don't go for an external.

Ah alright :D those're always handy then. 

These phones in general are detailed and you can use them for quiet listening (preferred) :D but at the same time they're easy to drive, so you can use them OTG. The holiday guide pretty much has it at the bottom of over-ear section. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,409 of 2,773
Quote:
Quote:
Are the ultrasone pro 750 a competitor of these?
Are those over ear?

Ouch, every time someone mentions that brand I squint in pain. I hope the damage they've done to my hearing wasn't permanent.
basshead.gif

Ultrasone are good at making both excellent (Sig Pro) and totally cringe worthy headphones (Ed10, Pro900) at the same time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,410 of 2,773
I've heard good things about Signature line too, they are quite expensive though not sure if that price translates to the equialent level of SQ. My personal experience is limited to HFI and Pro models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back