Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #1,381 of 2,773
Since writing my comparison review, I've spent even more time with the 1R's and I do think they are a great option. I do feel like their RRP should be closer to $200/$250 considering the build quality, but the sound and comfort is something that I think most people could get into.

I definitely think the MDR-1R is a *huge* improvement on the Z1000 formula and in that respect they are really quite a promising release from Sony because it shows they are listening, but at the same time its no game changer or any huge advance in the art.

The Momentums still sound to me wonderfully precise, transparent headphones, whereas the MDR-1Rs sound far less transparent with a distinct note thickness and more grain to the sound. At the same time the MDR-1R's are very relaxing and easygoing, and I do like them a bit more than the Momentum's for female vocals because of their slightly glossy upper mids.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,382 of 2,773
Quote:
Why is everyone hyping the hell out of this headphone and not posting actual reviews?

How about comparisons to other portable cans in its pricerange? Like the DT1350?

Or maybe comparisons to other popular cans, like the M50 or M-80 or some of ultrasone's offerings? All I'm hearing here is it's a decent headphone, overpriced at $300, and is generally grainy and slow. And about 2 metric ****tons of hype and worthless comments. Why all the hype? It's not like the 1R is a huge game-changer. It sounds like a typical modern-day Sony, nothing special.

I posted an actual comparison review of the 1RNC in a separate thread.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,383 of 2,773
Quote:

I'm thrilled with my MDR-1RNC and it comes with it's own hard shell case.  Construction, comfort and quality are better than the basic.  I personally enjoy mine and would recommend it over the basic model though it costs 50% more!  Even got lucky with the guys giving me a sony headphone stand to go along with it 
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing I hate most about the 1RNC is the case. I wish it was more form fitting, softer, and had some sort of clip so I could hang it on a bag instead of having to find room inside one. This is the problem with them not folding in like, say, the K490.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,384 of 2,773
Hey, I'm interested in the BT. Seems like it beats out all of its competition: MM550 is extremely bulky just like the Zik and UE9000 (too bassy), AKG needs to work on SQ, Klipsch is too bassy, and we don't need to talk about Beats. Are these comfortable and light? Do they provide nice isolation? Are they not too bassy?

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,387 of 2,773
Quote:
More comfy, these or DT 770?
Also can someone compare the sound between the two?

Premium or Pro. Premium would be comfier, Pro has tighter clamping headband but in any case earcups are bigger than MDR-1R.
I used to own Premium DT770 250 and 600 Ohm. 250 had shrieking treble, 600 Ohm were better in that regard (I think) but both were quite meh, boring distant midrange, metallic treble, not engaging at all.
Lifeless and boring. But that pretty much what I can say about all Beyers I've tried and owned to day (you can check my sig), some do crave their signature, not me.

I am surprised by the recent spike of interest to their Pro models, LE in particular, from what I remember they were never on audiophiles list. Premium were supposed to be a fix for Pro shortcomings, not very successful as far as I can tell.

You can check all time greatest saint.panda review, it has quite comprehensive take on Beyer Pro.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/128983/15-closed-headphones-2-canalphones-and-a-discussion-on-frequency-graphs-reviews

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,388 of 2,773
Premium or Pro. Premium would be comfier, Pro has tighter clamping headband but in any case earcups are bigger than MDR-1R.
I used to own Premium DT770 250 and 600 Ohm. 250 had shrieking treble, 600 Ohm were better in that regard (I think) but both were quite meh, boring distant midrange, metallic treble, not engaging at all.
Lifeless and boring. But that pretty much what I can say about all Beyers I've tried and owned to day (you can check my sig), some do crave their signature, not me.

I am surprised by the recent spike of interest to their Pro models, LE in particular, from what I remember they were never on audiophiles list. Premium were supposed to be a fix for Pro shortcomings, not very successful as far as I can tell.

You can check all time greatest saint.panda review, it has quite comprehensive take on Beyer Pro.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/128983/15-closed-headphones-2-canalphones-and-a-discussion-on-frequency-graphs-reviews

Well, I am looking for an additional pair to my K167 to see which I like best. I have tried out the 80 and 250 770 and mug preferred the 250. Love all 770 comfort with the big velour pads. I wanted to know if I should take a chance on the mdr over the 770 at the price difference?

I like the sound of thei comfort. I need a closed can that doesn't leak much as I fly a lot and am not interested in thei NC model. I play from my iPod classic mostly with a e11.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,391 of 2,773
Quote:

Pretty much japan, australia/UK (these guys have silvers in stock, but not the US for SOME reason...) :p

I'm inches away from ordering the silver 1R from accessoryjack. Do you know where they ship from and how long it usually takes?

Geez, wonder why Sony hates us North Americans so much. I'm not technically American, just studying abroad, but still :frowning2:

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,392 of 2,773
I've read through the last 7 pages and I was really interested in the 1R/K167 comparisons. I can get them for the same price (180€, same for K550 but those are too big for outside use), so that's not a factor

I need closed cans for my commute and classes. My main concern between those two is sound leakage - which one isolates the best? 
I like to listen to music at moderately loud (not deafening) levels, enough to get into my groove

Other points of consideration (feel free to ignore since they are a bit off topic):
1) I listen to a lot of genres (see spoiler), but when I'm at the early stages of a drawing I listen almost exclusively to EM/dubstep and later on switch to something more calm. Would the 1R's suit me?

Shibayan Records -  オズネイ・ハマンはもういらない
---
Midnight Juggernauts - Lifeblood Flow
Planet Funk -Paraffin
---
Mezo - Connected (Joman Remix)
Xilent - Gravity
Danny Byrd - From Bath with love (Feat. T-Lace)
---
NieR Tribute Album - echo - エミール / 犠牲
Playground love - Air
The Delgados - The Light Before we Land

2)I own a cheap memup MP4 player and recently bought a FiiOE11. Is the player relevant (will it affect SQ at all considering I already have the E11?) Would something like a walkman help?

3)The only headphones I own are HD555's. And while they are vastly different from these closed cans, they are my only point of reference, so if a comparison is possible (with the HD5xx line) that would be nice :)

I already asked similar questions over some other threads but different opinions are always welcome. There's also too much lovey love going on the K167 thread for my whiskers.
Thanks in advance :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,393 of 2,773
Quote:

I'm inches away from ordering the silver 1R from accessoryjack. Do you know where they ship from and how long it usually takes?

Geez, wonder why Sony hates us North Americans so much. I'm not technically American, just studying abroad, but still :frowning2:

AccessoryJack ships from Hong Kong and it's usually 1-2 day delivery when choosing EMS express, which ships via Fedex. Unfortunately they are closed for Christmas and don't reopen until the 27th.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,394 of 2,773
Quote:
I've read through the last 7 pages and I was really interested in the 1R/K167 comparisons. I can get them for the same price (180€, same for K550 but those are too big for outside use), so that's not a factor

I need closed cans for my commute and classes. My main concern between those two is sound leakage - which one isolates the best? 
I like to listen to music at moderately loud (not deafening) levels, enough to get into my groove

Other points of consideration (feel free to ignore since they are a bit off topic):
1) I listen to a lot of genres (see spoiler), but when I'm at the early stages of a drawing I listen almost exclusively to EM/dubstep and later on switch to something more calm. Would the 1R's suit me?

2)I own a cheap memup MP4 player and recently bought a FiiOE11. Is the player relevant (will it affect SQ at all considering I already have the E11?) Would something like a walkman help?

3)The only headphones I own are HD555's. And while they are vastly different from these closed cans, they are my only point of reference, so if a comparison is possible (with the HD5xx line) that would be nice :)

I already asked similar questions over some other threads but different opinions are always welcome. There's also too much lovey love going on the K167 thread for my whiskers.
Thanks in advance :)

Get a DT1350 from B&H Photo/Video. They're on sale for the holidays and are almost exactly 180 euros.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755710-REG/Beyerdynamic_702072_DT_1350_On_Ear_Closed_Back.html

They're the best portable headphone anywhere near the price. Neutral with great treble and an absolutely bottomless low end, near perfect isolation, phenomenal build quality, and very comfortable. They may not look like much but they're very, very good. I'd suggest the DT1350 over any other available portable can because it can do everything very well. Classical, dubstep, you name it. The 1Rs would probably fail at dubstep due to the non-aggressive sound. The DT1350 can be both aggressive and gentle. It'll render what the song dictates.

You might wanna get a Sansa Clip+ too, because the DT1350 is very DAC-dependent, and the Clip+ is the cheapest way to get a good DAC. It won't sound bad out of lower end equipment but it will be its best with a good DAC. 

EDIT: Looks like they're out of stock at B&H. Maybe try somewhere else, or wait until after Christmas. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,395 of 2,773
I agree the DT1350 is easily the best portable I heard but sadly I had to let it go because of comfort. I couldn't wear them for more than an hour and the sound quality was very dependent on positioning. I got tired to spend most of my time looking for that sweet spot,  but when found those sounded unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back