Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #1,141 of 2,773
Quote:
Nice review on the cans, But have you tried the Sony MDR-1RNC with the apple remote cord on an android phone yet?

I am using mine with my Galaxy Note II and it works fine except there is no way to get the volume buttons working.  I am limited to using it as a play/pause and double click for next and triple for back.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,142 of 2,773
Quote:

yeah i've already see those picture before, that's why i wonder how to detach those pad since the frame seem's won't budge easily...

force it, no kidding! kidding aside, although im not really kidding when i said "force it", you need to hold the frame inside the pads then pull on one side, once it is removed from its "lock", other "locks" will just come off just fine.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,143 of 2,773
Quote:
I haven't heard either one of those but I wouldn't doubt your findings.  I can understand your impressions on the bass because it wasn't what I expected and differs quite a bit from other portable cans that I've heard recently.  It's not the type of bass I prefer but it hasn't ruined any music I have listened to.  The fact that it's not overpowering bass I can appreciate.  I don't know how much coloring these have but whatever it is, I find them pretty nice across the full spectrum.  

agreed. ill post a mod on how to control the bass through dampening sometime. I've returned my unit to accessoryjack for RMA because it has channel imbalance-- left channel sounds way louder than right.

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,144 of 2,773
Well, I ordered a pair of MDR-1R's!

I have the MA900, Z1000 and SA5000 to compare them with if people are curious. (Though actually I'm most interested in comparing them with the TMA-1 Studio's since that seems like the closest comparison.)

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,146 of 2,773
I like to see 1R vs. Momentum. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,148 of 2,773
Quote:
Well, I ordered a pair of MDR-1R's!

I have the MA900, Z1000 and SA5000 to compare them with if people are curious. (Though actually I'm most interested in comparing them with the TMA-1 Studio's since that seems like the closest comparison.)

:D wooooo. Just what I was looking for. How do the 1R's compare with the Z1000's overall and bang/buck? Thanks rec! 

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,149 of 2,773
Quote:
:D wooooo. Just what I was looking for. How do the 1R's compare with the Z1000's overall and bang/buck? Thanks rec! 

Well I'm pretty sure, having done this comparison briefly before, that the 1R is much better bang for buck. This is considering that I bought the Z1000 for about 430 a while back. If they were the same price it would be harder to gauge so I'll have to do a better comparo.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,150 of 2,773
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,151 of 2,773
I like to see 1R vs. Momentum. :)

I am currently trying both. I'm new to the headphone game so can't really comment on sound but comfort-wise there is no comparison. My ears are slightly above average in size I think (70mm length?) and the 1Rs are incredibly comfortable on them (around them actually). Can't fit them in the momentum ear cups, which causes some discomfort after about 20-30 minutes

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,152 of 2,773
100-130 hours using 1R.
Bass getting rolled off and lacking in quantity :sweat:

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,153 of 2,773
A recent comment from Tyll Hertsens in Innerfidelity http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-december-2012-update:

"I've got a pair of Sony MDR-1R in the lab and measured. Not quite as good as the Momentums, and not quite as good sounding. But I'm going to try to get my hands on all three variants because the 1R is probably good enough for a review, but I'd certainly like to hear what they did with the noise canceling and Bluetooth versions. The 1R won't hit the Wall of Fame as a sealed headphone, but the Bluetooth and Noise canceling versions might best the current WoF cans in those categories...as long as they don't fiddle with the bass too much."

And you can see the graphs too:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR1R.pdf

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,155 of 2,773
Quote:

Well I'm pretty sure, having done this comparison briefly before, that the 1R is much better bang for buck. This is considering that I bought the Z1000 for about 430 a while back. If they were the same price it would be harder to gauge so I'll have to do a better comparo.

Oh no, it's ok ^^' it'd be easier to just to do a comp between the 2 w/ out worrying about price. You've given that the 1R is better for the price, so I don't mind you just doing the sonic/build difference. Thanks again rec!

100-130 hours using 1R.
Bass getting rolled off and lacking in quantity :sweat:

Is bass getting rolled off bad or good? I'm not sure just from looking. Is the bass disappearing (I think I read a post saying that the bass was getting less and less), or is the bass just still lacking (I'm not a bass head and the v6's bass is T-IGHT and just right for me lol)?

Still interested in the sexaphones, although I saw in HiFiGuy's video that it came with a limited NORMAL cord :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back