Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,112 of 2,773
Quote:
Those LCP drivers were in the Z1000 as well.  The Z1000 was an excellent full-sized portable closed headphone... probably still my favorite I've tried.

Based on this thread alone, 1R seems to have an edge over Z1000. How did they fare in your test?

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,113 of 2,773
Quote:
Today is a bit windy here,but weather is good,so I decided to test them outside to see the wind issue some reported here.

This is a real problem,and a big one.Wind noise almost destroys any music enjoynment.This is a negative aspect of the sony's design,because they are meant to be portable headphones.I'll try to put something to close the holes in the caps to see if it gets better,and how it will affect the sound.

I start to hear some sonic improvement though,after more continuous burn in in louder volumes.The initial burn in I did was in low volumes,so I'll give them more burn in,in much higher volume now.

I'll be a bit more patient before I give any further opinions on sound quality,because I have a feeling that these drivers need much burn in before they perform as they should.

For all of you who just purchased your pair,or you're waiting one,don't hurry to come to conclusions as I did,just let them play music continiously in a bit loud volume (preferably not when wearing them,to protect your hearing).

Pink noise is always the fastest way to break in diaphragms.

You can grab it from here http://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,114 of 2,773
Quote:
It's actually funny if you look back and read the whole thread or at least glance over. Until around post #950 (page 64 of 74 with my settings) everyone is so ecstatic and just raving on how great they are, and after that things seem to start falling apart.

Well this phenomenon usually happen when a new product came in, many member here already eager waiting for its impression while other who already got the product throwing all their though into it :D

I just hope i will like this headphone since it still leave me a good impression after listening the demo last month.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,115 of 2,773
I had wind noise issues with my pair and commented on it as well. It's not so bad as to make the headphone unusable in wind but it definitely lowers to enjoyment factor. The NC model is even worse for wind, the noise cancelling mic's pick up the wind instead of cancelling is out.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,116 of 2,773
I have wind issue will all closed back headphones I have had. Just hope that the bass port on the MDR-1R won't be a major problem.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,117 of 2,773
Quote:
I have the V6 and 1R.  I can't say the V6 is better.

I had both as well. OPcked up the V6 for $50 on Amazon. IMO the 1R is not $250 better than the V6, not by a long shot. I still have the V6.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,118 of 2,773
Quote:
I have the V6 and 1R.  I can't say the V6 is better.

I had both as well, and picked up the V6 for $50 on Amazon. IMO the 1R is not $250 better than the V6, not by a long shot. I still have the V6.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,119 of 2,773
I bought mine for about $245 USD at the Sony Store in Causeway Bay, HK. (Not the easiest store to find but if  you ask around someone will direct you there like they did with me.) I've had them for over a month but haven't really had chance to do much critical listening to them.

Having said that, for the price, I really do like my Sony 1R. I find it a really good set of cans for rap and pretty good for vocals. They are extremely comfortable and while they isolate noise well in in a busy area they did not isolate airplane engine noise very well when I had them on during the long flight back to the US.

I was looking at the UE6000, M100 and Momentum. While I really wanted to try the M100 no store I know of has it in stock but I did try their M80 and they were awfully uncomfortable for my head and ears. I felt like my head was between a vise. The UE6000 sounded good but I was swayed by the comfort of the 1R. Ultimately for me, you have to have these cans on your head and if they aren't comfortable then I'll be focusing on the discomfort more than anything else.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,121 of 2,773
Swapping the prices of the two sound wise seems more normal. The V6 sound like $300 headphones while the 1R sound like $100 phones at best.

Just curious, Mickice, do you share avatar with someone, I swear there are at least three recently registered users with low post count using exactly the same avatar. You are not just sock puppets of the same guy suffering from split identity syndrome, aren't you?
Faab is the second one
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/1065#post_8913308

Quote is third
http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/360#post_8916894

There could be more, not sure, what's the mystery? :confused_face(1):

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,122 of 2,773
Quote:
Swapping the prices of the two sound wise seems more normal. The V6 sound like $300 headphones while the 1R sound like $100 phones at best.

You're already sound way past boring yourself, Ok i get it- you can't stand the fact that the 1R doesn't sound X5times>V6 and oblterates them to kingdom come. You imply that basically every F'ing time you post. That's all too familiar to me.

And with others concerned too, this constant whining about the 1R sucks blah blah is getting boring as well. Unless backed with some informative impressions of what's coming out of the headphones and how it affects your music and/or taste, these repeated "this sounds worse to me than X" is NOT proper feedback, It's just borderline spamming.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,123 of 2,773
Quote:

I've been asked many times why for the first two editions of the Head-Fi Buying Guide, the Sony MDR-V6 is the very first product listed. The answer is because it's essentially the headphone that got me passionate about headphone audio, having purchased it when it was first released in the mid-80's--so I have tremendous love for that headphone. So, for as long as it's being sold, the Sony MDR-V6 is going to be the first headphone listed in the Head-Fi Buying Guide (including the upcoming holiday update to the guide).

That said, we hear things very differently. If you were talking about the MDR-7520, I'd understand more where you're coming from. But the V6? I've owned a total of five of them, and have two V6's now. It's a fine headphone (especially for anyone who got it at the blow-out prices recently offered at Amazon). Your rants were believable as opinion the first time...the second time. Now it's taking on the shape of something else.

To my ears, for my preferences, the V6--as important a headphone as it is to me--is just not in league with the MDR-1R. Again, the MDR-7520? Yeah, I'd get that. I sometimes prefer the MDR-7520 to the MDR-1R myself. But the V6? Hey, man, you got a bargain, it was a good one, but I'm not understanding that one. Is there more treble energy? Yes, there is, but it's tizzy in comparison. Does the V6 have more detail? Absolutely not--not to my ears anyway. To me, timbral accuracy with the mostly acoustic music I listen to favors the 1R (again, in my assessment anyway) rather substantially.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #1,124 of 2,773
Jude,

Your endorsement is keeping me interested in trying these 1R out.  I loved the Z1000, and I'm finding a lot of the users around here prefer the Z1000 to the 1R (although some do not)

The Sony store in my area did not have one out for demo... only their X series was available.

What's your take on Z1000 v. 1R?

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #1,125 of 2,773
Quote:
I have wind issue will all closed back headphones I have had. Just hope that the bass port on the MDR-1R won't be a major problem.

I'd think it'd be normal for there to be wind issues regardless. A solid will always be a better conductor than a gas. The wind blows on your cables, and the noise that you get from that goes to somewhere (not sure if it's to the cups, drivers, or some place). I don't think there are any phones that can be fine against wind :s but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I just haven't heard of one. 

Edit: Ah, since these are around-ears (I personally think that on-ears would be the same), the cups themselves could also add to the effect. I don't think I've ever experienced it with IEMs, but it's been ages since there's been such an event if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back