Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,068 of 2,773
I agree with Noir :D most of Sony's flagships, if not all, weren't made of complete plastic. There's usually metal (magnesium I think). They're usually are made for studio use I think (with the 1/4 inch jacks and all of that good stuff). The sound also usually impresses people like HiFiGuy, but he said these didn't impress out of the box and had the sound signature a lot of today's phones have.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,070 of 2,773
Quote:
The MDR-1R seems like their lifestyle product flagship, I don't really see Sony as having an audiophile flagship in production right now.

The last "audiophile" product they had was MDR-SA5000, everything else, including Z1000, are just mass consumer oriented products.
Pretty sad for the company that developed all time greatest R-10 and no compromises, technological marvel Qualia.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,071 of 2,773
^ Exactly, if the V6 wasn't still lingering around all their headphones on the market would be consumer grade or lover.

I dispise how they have so many similar low end models like the ZX100 ZX300 ZX600.
I think they should only make 3 grades: comsumer (ZX300), Mid-fi (MDR-V55) and pro (ZX1000)
But what do I know...

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,072 of 2,773
Haha, seems turn to negative side feedback. My 1R already 150 hours burn. Sound not bad but also not fantastic. What is getting surprise me is the bass quantity now getting lesser and lesser.

I am bass head x.x

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,073 of 2,773
Quote:
Haha, seems turn to negative side feedback. My 1R already 150 hours burn. Sound not bad but also not fantastic. What is getting surprise me is the bass quantity now getting lesser and lesser.
I am bass head x.x

in that case you should tried the M100 or Momentum :D

i'm still waiting for the 1R to arrive in local store.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,074 of 2,773
Quote:

in that case you should tried the M100 or Momentum :D

i'm still waiting for the 1R to arrive in local store.

These are two major 1R competitors now and based on some impressions I've read (headphoneaddict, dweaver), R1 is less darker than either. I should get mine in a couple of days, I hope. We'll see how it fares against K271S and ESW9.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,076 of 2,773
I'm looking for an upgrade for my portable headphone (HD25). Does anyone own both the HD25 and 1r and can compare them? What I'm mainly interested in are: sibilance and bass. The HD25 is too sibilant for my ears and I hate it. However, I do like the bass of the HD25 and I'm looking for something that can match them.
1. How sibilant are the MDR-1R ?
2. What's the bass like?

I'm kind of concerned about the bass of the MDR-1r, I've read somewhere that the bass is 'lacking'. I usually find myself tweaking up the bass to get more impact (even on the HD25).

I've also been looking at the AKG K-167, which seem interesting aswell.

HALP

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #1,078 of 2,773
Currently just received the 1Rs and I have the HD25s. I'll let you know my thoughts when I do more listening. So far I am impressed with the bass and how punchy it is. I had lower expectations though so YMMV. I also find the treble more tame than the HD25. Sparkly yet smooth. Still I cannot say which is the better headphone because I thoroughly enjoy my HDs.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,079 of 2,773
Quote:
Currently just received the 1Rs and I have the HD25s. I'll let you know my thoughts when I do more listening. So far I am impressed with the bass and how punchy it is. I had lower expectations though so YMMV. I also find the treble more tame than the HD25. Sparkly yet smooth. Still I cannot say which is the better headphone because I thoroughly enjoy my HDs.

Did you also pick up an M-100?  If so, I'm sure that many would appreciate a comparison.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,080 of 2,773
Not yet unfortunately. Only got these as of right now because I took advantage of a deal I got and the timing was right. I'm not sure if I can afford having both at the same time but if anything changes and I score some M-100s while still having these, you can bet I'll do a little comparo.

Still dying to try the Momentums as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back