Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #871 of 2,773
No muddy mids for me a no spiky sibilant highs either. But I do think the Shure 940 and 1440 both have more detailed treble while also not being sibilant. The 940 also has faster bass and actually almost as much bass as the 1R. But most of my music does not require speed while I do appreciate the added detail of the Shure's I also prefer the added comfort and portability of the 1R which does way into my use of the 1R.

If Shure made a portable friendly comfortable version of the 940 (with a smudge more bass) I would be all over them though. But for now I am just enjoying the 1R for the things it does well for me.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #872 of 2,773
For me it will be a tough choice between 1R and M100.

1R - Probably the mids & highs I want

M100 - The bass I want

A fusion of those 2 would be awesome. :D Remains to be seen how AKG Tiestos turns out too.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #873 of 2,773
I actually was hoping for the bass of the XBA3 in these.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #875 of 2,773
For anyone who currently owns a pair of MDR-1s can testify on the quality and durability of the headset? I had a look at these and I was wondering if it'd be plagued with the same issues that Pioneer had with theirs(adjustment band breaking due to plastic construction)

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #876 of 2,773
Unfortunately time will tell the real tale about how sturdy these are but so far I have found them very durable. The headband does have a metal band on one side that seems to help and the clicks of the length adjustable parts seem to work exactly like when I got them. Which is somethingI can't claim with my 1440 which almost have almost no click into place adjusting left and lost that ability with the first month of use.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #877 of 2,773
Quote:
For anyone who currently owns a pair of MDR-1s can testify on the quality and durability of the headset? I had a look at these and I was wondering if it'd be plagued with the same issues that Pioneer had with theirs(adjustment band breaking due to plastic construction)

It is a very durable headphone.  Good fit and finish. No weird creaking, either.  Headband is strong.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #880 of 2,773
Hard to pin it down. Both sides of the headphone creak, but the right side is the worst. It must be where the yolks meet the cups. Anyway, others have noted this issue as well. Perhaps it's a manufacturing problem or perhaps it only manifests itself with certain head sizes/shapes. Sony specifically mentions "silicon O-ring construction to prevent creaking" in their marketing materials for the MDR-1R. Irony I suppose. :D

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #881 of 2,773
I'm getting a feeling that I should save money and buy myself a V-6 w/ the velour pads. Both total are $90, but I think I saw somewhere that the bass is a bit distorted. Anyone have any idea which one would just be better? Right now I'm leaning towards the V-6 b/c of its construction and bang for buck.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #882 of 2,773
I'd love to argue re bang for buck, but 300 plus tax is a lot. I love the 1R but I wont sit here and say its 300 is a "value" with all the good stuff out there at, or below, that level. 
As to construction though, mine have been solid. Already survived in my carry-on for a cross country flight and no creaking to speak of. I would return yours and try another pair before giving up on them. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #883 of 2,773
Just purchased the MDR-1R and my initial impression is very positive.  I am not a expert by any means, and my only other reference point is my Sennheiser HD595.  So compared to my HD595, it has more "color" to the sounds.  Highs and Lows are more distinct and it is better for modern music.  I like the open sound of HD595, but MDR-1R's more intimate sound stage is good and something different.  Overall I like it and I am keeping it as my daily headphone since it has iPhone control and mic to take calls.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #885 of 2,773
Quote:
I'm getting a feeling that I should save money and buy myself a V-6 w/ the velour pads. Both total are $90, but I think I saw somewhere that the bass is a bit distorted. Anyone have any idea which one would just be better? Right now I'm leaning towards the V-6 b/c of its construction and bang for buck.

I am curious of this also. A V6 legit is getting harder to find tho.
Right now I have the: ZX600, ZX700, V55, V6 (x2).
I will be getting the 1R but all the praises and 500+ 5* ratings the V6 has on amazon are well deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back