Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #811 of 2,773
Lol that's a better picture than my ugly old mug :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #812 of 2,773
Quote:
aSCNG.jpg

HAHAHAHA!

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #817 of 2,773
Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy lately (and will be again).
I totally understand our different perceptions, and though I firmly maintain my initial impressions (remember I listened to those just out of the box), I must say that things have changed a bit, not that I want to rally your thoughts or others', just that things have changed (maybe because of burn-in, me having only listened to the Sonys, so not listening to my open cans desktop-amped, changing source, or anything) : I feel (I think) a better instrument separation, as instruments have become a bit closer (at least on the song on which I thought violin was distant : Plastic Tree – Spica, it came closer, and more distinctly placed if I remember well, here on the left), bass stronger (so more listenable on-the-go, as I could not hear it).
I must say I am still disappointed with isolation, I think (by memory) DT1350's is better, though on ear : can't hear much in the street (with cars driving) or in the subway (in Paris, France at least)... 
And as for the comparisons, I will try to do some this weekend, but can't guarantee anything, sorry.

I will try to get a listen at the track you mentioned to compare, but surely my reference headphone must be different of yours, and our tastes too : I prefer violin over vocals and piano as equal seconds (though not so long ago, I would have said the opposite), but not by much either, so I like when both are quite present (I did not say that they were unnaturally distant, but that I prefer when they are closer/louder than what I heard first.
And will definitely give those 7520 a try if you advise me to, unfortunately only when I will have money for that...

Can't wait for your headphone guide ! Good luck with that, and I am also craving for your future review of the 1Rs.
Quote:

I'm not generally one to argue about someone's subjective impressions--in other words, before I say what I'm about to say, I want to make clear I believe you're hearing it like you're saying. I'm just offering my opinion (which differs from yours).

To my ears--and I do also listen to a lot of violin (coincidentally, listening right now to Sibelius Violin Concerto)--I'm not finding instruments to sound unnaturally distant.

In something with violins and vocals--like "Soon or Never" by Punch Brothers--I'm still not finding anything out of balance (to my ears), even if the vocals are somewhat forward.

Another headphone I mentioned in an earlier post that I also really like (but certainly has a different signature) is the new PSB M4U 1. If you get a chance to audition one, you should. Also look into the Sony MDR-7520, which has also become one of my favorite sub-$500 closed headphones, and may have a signature closer to what you're looking for.

For a better part of this evening, I've been listening to the MDR-1R straight from a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, and I am having absolutely no problem with a lack of speed from the MDR-1R (for my tastes anyway), relative to its peers. And I was listening to it and a bunch of other closed headphones (and amp/DACs) all day yesterday, writing for the upcoming holiday update to the buying guide. Of the ones in this photo that aren't $2000, the MDR-1R may be my favorite for general sit-down listening.

R-Audiohead, you may find its speed up to your expectations, so you should give it a listen at a store or meet if you can.

Sorry, I do not have a ruler with me right now, but approximately, the earpad cavity is 3cm wide, 5 cm high ; the earpad (so approximately the earcups) 6 cm wide and 8cm high ? Will re-check at home.

Quote:
actually I would be more interested in the size of the earcups, if you could measure those I would be very pleased
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #822 of 2,773
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy lately (and will be again).
I totally understand our different perceptions, and though I firmly maintain my initial impressions (remember I listened to those just out of the box), I must say that things have changed a bit, not that I want to rally your thoughts or others', just that things have changed (maybe because of burn-in, me having only listened to the Sonys, so not listening to my open cans desktop-amped, changing source, or anything) : I feel (I think) a better instrument separation, as instruments have become a bit closer (at least on the song on which I thought violin was distant : Plastic Tree – Spica, it came closer, and more distinctly placed if I remember well, here on the left), bass stronger (so more listenable on-the-go, as I could not hear it).
I must say I am still disappointed with isolation, I think (by memory) DT1350's is better, though on ear : can't hear much in the street (with cars driving) or in the subway (in Paris, France at least)... 
And as for the comparisons, I will try to do some this weekend, but can't guarantee anything, sorry.

I will try to get a listen at the track you mentioned to compare, but surely my reference headphone must be different of yours, and our tastes too : I prefer violin over vocals and piano as equal seconds (though not so long ago, I would have said the opposite), but not by much either, so I like when both are quite present (I did not say that they were unnaturally distant, but that I prefer when they are closer/louder than what I heard first.
And will definitely give those 7520 a try if you advise me to, unfortunately only when I will have money for that...

Can't wait for your headphone guide ! Good luck with that, and I am also craving for your future review of the 1Rs.

Sorry, I do not have a ruler with me right now, but approximately, the earpad cavity is 3cm wide, 5 cm high ; the earpad (so approximately the earcups) 6 cm wide and 8cm high ? Will re-check at home.

Just curious Damneegy, what headphones do you use now? Judging from your musical preferences, your preferred headphones must be quite demanding and versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back