Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #692 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks Jude I figured that would be the case in regards to the BT model and a microphone.
lubczyk, I own the XBA3 and while it has similarities to the 1R I appreciate the 1R more. The 1R has a larger sound stage and better instrument seperation and positioning. The bass of the XBA3 is harder hitting though and I think the treble is a bit sharper. So if prefer a more pronounced V shape signature you may prefer the XBA3 over the 1R. As for the XBA4 I suspect they will be a completely different animal as they are supposed to be a lot more bass oriented. Personally I like the combination of XBA3 and 1R as it allows me a change up in sound when I want it or more isolation when I need it. But the 1R is getting most of the attention.

Thanks for the info, dweaver. The reason I'm interested in these cans is because they don't sound like just another V-Shaped phone (M-80, CKS77). They might be something special.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #693 of 2,773
Picture request, please. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #694 of 2,773
[size=9.5pt]I ordered a Sony MDR1RBT on Amazon UK, it seems to be a good deal at £100 less than on Sony online store. [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Now I'm little bit worried at why it is selling at discount, since the seller does not have Amazon affiliation.[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Do you guys think this is legit?[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Many thanks[/size]

[size=9.5pt]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00974PTFQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/size]

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #695 of 2,773
Anyone compare the NC version to the NC on the bose QC15?

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #696 of 2,773
Quote:
Anyone compare the NC version to the NC on the bose QC15?

I may pick up the NC ones this week. I was also looking at the AH-NCW500 in Silver (AH-NCW500SR), but it only has 10h (!) of battery life. Fail. I've heard the Bose - meh. I currently use the AKG K490NC or the MDR-NWNC200 which works natively with the SOny Walkman noise cancelling feature.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #697 of 2,773
Quote:
Thanks Jude I figured that would be the case in regards to the BT model and a microphone.
lubczyk, I own the XBA3 and while it has similarities to the 1R I appreciate the 1R more. The 1R has a larger sound stage and better instrument seperation and positioning. The bass of the XBA3 is harder hitting though and I think the treble is a bit sharper. So if prefer a more pronounced V shape signature you may prefer the XBA3 over the 1R. As for the XBA4 I suspect they will be a completely different animal as they are supposed to be a lot more bass oriented. Personally I like the combination of XBA3 and 1R as it allows me a change up in sound when I want it or more isolation when I need it. But the 1R is getting most of the attention.

Hmm, the 1RNC I tried had more bass than my XBA-3, it was distinctly obvious.  I guess the normal 1R is less bass heavy.

Off topic, but I really enjoy the ZX700 too.  They don't resolve as much detail, but the sound is very nice.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #698 of 2,773
I saw these for just £170 so I got them on a whim. Very nice sound indeed, comfortable, and surprisingly light and compact (though they don't seem too resilient and tough). They don't really have have sub-bass which is an issue for me, just a lot of mid-bass. I could get used to this though.
I have the Momentums on the way to compare them to, I'll be more detailed when I can AB. At £250 I don't think I'd keep the Momentums if they notably sound better, I'd probably return both and stick to just my HD-25's, which I'm perfectly happy with, till I saw the Momentums a lot cheaper.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #700 of 2,773
Quote:
I saw these for just £170 so I got them on a whim. Very nice sound indeed, comfortable, and surprisingly light and compact (though they don't seem too resilient and tough). They don't really have have sub-bass which is an issue for me, just a lot of mid-bass. I could get used to this though.
I have the Momentums on the way to compare them to, I'll be more detailed when I can AB. At £250 I don't think I'd keep the Momentums if they notably sound better, I'd probably return both and stick to just my HD-25's, which I'm perfectly happy with, till I saw the Momentums a lot cheaper.

I would be really interested to hear your comparison between Momentum and Sony's. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #701 of 2,773
Quote:

Where did you see these for £170 ??

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #702 of 2,773

If you could compare both cans to the Hd25s for me I would really appreciate it :) The HDs have been my go-to portables but I've been hoping to find a circumaural that sounds less congested with better imaging and similar isolation.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #703 of 2,773
You guys may already know this, but I thought I would share my personal experience.

I called my local Sony store (San Marcos) and it turns out they're an outlet, so they don't get the good stuff when it first comes out. So I called the next closest store (Galleria) and they didn't have any in stock. They did tell me it would be roughly $325 though (with tax) if I ordered it directly from them.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for an online source if more positive reviews come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back