Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #557 of 2,773
Quote:
Can someone name a song that goes all the way up to 80,000 Hz? And if it exists, where could one buy it? I'm guessing 24-bit tracks aren't guaranteed to have that audio information.

24 vs. 16 bit has nothing to do with the frequency range. You need something recorded at 176400 or 192000 Hz sample rate (88200 and 96000 Hz bandwidth, respectively). However, the high frequency information normally should not be audible anyway, except through intermodulation distortion or aliasing products from these frequencies appearing in the audio band. By the way, a headphone being advertised as having a frequency response up to 80000 Hz is usually just marketing, and does not necessarily mean that it will not actually start to roll off steeply already below 20 kHz.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #558 of 2,773
Quote:
I have just received 1R silver. Very comfortable.
Its sound is within normal range in all points. No surprise, but no fault.
I can recommend it to anyone who is not an audiophile.

That is a backhanded compliment if I ever heard one.  Can you elaborate on the sound?  What do you like and what makes them not an audiophile-grade headphone in your opinion?

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #559 of 2,773
Quote:
That is a backhanded compliment if I ever heard one.  Can you elaborate on the sound?  What do you like and what makes them not an audiophile-grade headphone in your opinion?

1R sound is fully balanced and ideal. Heavy bass is not excess and treble is enough without any sibilance. Many people may be satisfied. But I feel density and resolution of sound is slightly insufficient compared to so-called high-end headphones. I can relax and enjoy music with 1R, because unpleasant sound detail is not heard from 1R. This is the very point that 1R is not for a maniac audiophile.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #560 of 2,773
nice design 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #561 of 2,773
Just bought the MDR-1RNC. I love the design and like the sound, can't really give you any impressions on SQ as I'm quite the novice. I've had a few noise cancelling phones from Sony throughout the years though, including MDR-NC200 and MDR-NC60. I've also had the MDR-XB500. I've only tried these on the subway and buses so far and I'm happy with the NC along with great isolation and comfort. Just beware of using them in the windy outdoors, the wind will go straight into that active NC microphone.

I don't find these to be very bassy despite the 50 mm driver. They seem to be bassier with the NC feature turned off, but so far I've found the sound dull in this mode. Fortunately, it is fully possible to listen to these with NC on while charging via USB. I've paired them with my newly acquired Walkman F805. Sony goodness!

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #562 of 2,773
Quote:

1R sound is fully balanced and ideal. Heavy bass is not excess and treble is enough without any sibilance. Many people may be satisfied. But I feel density and resolution of sound is slightly insufficient compared to so-called high-end headphones. I can relax and enjoy music with 1R, because unpleasant sound detail is not heard from 1R. This is the very point that 1R is not for a maniac audiophile.

Thank you.  I'm not reading anything in your review that would pull me away from my M-100, so I will be satisfied with what I have for now.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #564 of 2,773
Loving the MDR-1R from the audition, the comfort is just excellent and the slightly bassy sound signature goes well with the outdoor usage.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #567 of 2,773
Does anyone know if the bluetooth edition can be hooked up to a PC, and used as a headset? Is that even possible?? 

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #570 of 2,773
Since all the headphone cables I've ever used tend to break, twist and bend out of shape eventually, where can one find replacement cables for the MDR-1R? I can't find any replacement cables on the Sony site. For that matter, neither can I find official replacement cables for the Beats and Monster line of headphones.

Does the Sony MDR-1R accept any 3.5 millimeter plug like the V-Moda cables perhaps?

I mean, what's the point of replaceable cables, besides switching between music-only and smartphone cables, if you can't replace them down the line, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back