Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Oct 17, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #2,761 of 2,773
  The Mojo makes every headphone shine :p

I still have my Sony MDR 1R even after my Focal Elear/Ether C and i still love them!

They are amazing with the dynamat mod, i hope you modded yours as well.

Yea ive been using my Ether Cs a lot and using many of my other headphones in comparison, but after using my Ether Cs for a month at work i couldnt deal with worrying about scratching them every time i took them off anymore so i took the 1Rs to work and this was the first time using the 1Rs with my mojo. They sound so good! The sound plus that famous 1R comfort is sublime. Ive owned them for over a year and i havent ever enjoyed them this much. Very musical.

I havent dont the dynamat mod because im not quite sure what that does to the sound.. Is there some kind of explanation for that?

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,763 of 2,773
Man, I just can't bring myself to like this headphone one bit. Yeah, it's comfortable and stylish, but I'm really struggling to find any redeemable qualities about the sound. If anything, I think the MDR-1R may represent the exact opposite of what I look for in a headphone's sound signature.

Subbass is mediocre, doesn't extend well; midbass is horribly bloated, loose, and lacks impact; lower midrange contains too much midbass bleed; mid midrange is rather dipped; upper midrange is far too emphasised and shouty from 1k to 2k, then just trails off; lower treble is MIA, RIP presence region; surprise10kspikeouttanowhere; rest of treble is rather subdued.

I do not like the MDR-1R.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #2,764 of 2,773
Sorry for my ignorance, but will the MDR-1R support 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced cable like this one?
I'm wondering because I've only seen confirmed support for the 1A like on the Sony MUC-S12SB1. Thanks in advance!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,765 of 2,773
I think to be balanced the left channel and the right channel wiring have to be completely separated from one another. With the 1r the wiring inside the headphone from the input jack that goes to the first driver and then to the other driver through the headband is not balanced. So although the cable you mentioned may be balanced the wiring inside the headphone is not so I don't think it would work.

I have no idea if I'm actually correct about this as I've never used balanced cables but I think what I just said makes sense so you might want to get another opinion.

Sorry for my ignorance, but will the MDR-1R support 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced cable like this one?
I'm wondering because I've only seen confirmed support for the 1A like on the Sony MUC-S12SB1. Thanks in advance!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,768 of 2,773
s-l1600.jpg

I was wondering the same thing! I've tried looking into the Headphone socket on the headset to see if it would be possible, but can't tell. The second cable that comes with the headphones does have a four ringed 3.5mm jack that plugs into the headset, but that's for volume control and microphone for phones etc.

May 28, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #2,772 of 2,773
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #2,773 of 2,773
Are the mdr-1r still worth it in 2024 with the mod? I'm about to get some

Users who are viewing this thread

Back