Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,381 of 1,768
  So this A25, how much different is it compared to the A17? I ask because in Canada the A17 seems to be available but not the A25 and with the difference in the dollar right now I can't buy anything is US dollars without taking a bath...

The main difference is that the A20 series have Noise Cancellation

Not to disprove your own personal findings, but your experience is most likely true, on my brothers phone the 100AAP was trash. If you use a Walkman A15 / 25 tho, the synergy is like night and day, they are friggin incredible with no additional things turned on or Eq'd. 

I once tried the 100AAP at Sony Center with my A15, while it sounds quite good but the highs are a bit too harsh for my taste.  It's a good headphone for $199, but I still prefer the SQ of my A15+1ABT both wired or wireless through LDAC (smoother high and better resolution)
smile.gif

Edit: tested it with all sound enhancements+EQ turned off

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,382 of 1,768

The main difference is that the A20 series have Noise Cancellation

I once tried the 100AAP at Sony Center with my A15, while it sounds quite good but the highs are a bit too harsh for my taste.  It's a good headphone for $199, but I still prefer the SQ of my A15+1ABT both wired or wireless through LDAC (smoother high and better resolution)
smile.gif

Edit: tested it with all sound enhancements+EQ turned off

LDAC is really that good? I'm seriously considering getting a Sony amp or all in one speaker for home use so that I can use my Walkman to stream via LDAC.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #1,388 of 1,768
I don t know about the non sony equipment. Considering they are both passive headphones, i really can t see how the equipment makes a difference when testing two headphones. As long as they are both tested on the same dap, it s all up to the headphones capabilities. My testing with on the xperia z5 led me to a quick and clear conclusion that the mdr 1a is better across all frequencies, especially highs and lows, sounds more energetic, has better soundstage, and is noticeably morr comfortable and louder due to the higher sensitivity, ehich is quite important for a mobile use oriented headphone. Plus, the 1a now in many stores costs the same and comes with an extra balanced non in line mic cable for home listening on hi fi gear.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,389 of 1,768
Come on folks. Better is a subject term. The 1A and 100AAP have different signatures. So depending what you LIKE will dictate which is BETTER for you.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,390 of 1,768
Come on folks. Better is a subject term. The 1A and 100AAP have different signatures. So depending what you LIKE will dictate which is BETTER for you.

While I must agree with you that in general "better" is a subjective term as far as many aspects of a gadget are concerned, my observations about sound stage and loudness (which is actually driven from the specs - 105 vs 103 db -the difference seems bigger actually- ) are quantitative observations. Maybe I shouldn't say "better".

Sound signature is different - some might prefer 1A or 100AAP. However soundstage is wider and sound is louder in the 1A, that can be easily heard in a 5 minutes A/B testing. And i'm just putting my 2 cents into this conversations for people that are considering the 100AAP, like I did, and want to get the best bang for the buck - especially considering that at most retailers, they cost mostly the same now.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,391 of 1,768

I guess we've had some fairly fanatical posts on this thread that indicate that the 100AAP's are quite good and in a few cases there are folks that claim they are better than the bigger brother 1A's too.  Just wanted to clarify things, for us who do not have both models and do not had the time to go A/B testing.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,393 of 1,768
  I ABeed over an hour between 'em, and the 100 got my vote. I gave the 1a every chance in the book, but it came second. Great on 'tube music as well, not just my A17.

I did same and the 1 A came out as a winner and yes the signature is different.  There are in both models thinks to like and dislike.  But the 100 AAP, lacks really dynamics. I tried with 3 Daps, and worse was on the  Sony, as there was no depth at all.

Now I still hesitated as yes, the  1A on the other hand was really dark at times and the bass slow. But I have the HF for over a month now. Not that the bass became at once fast and the all as lively, but the bass is much more tight and  the all impression much more open then bit muddy. It is much more neutral and still very engaging.

Now they say that burn in, can alter the sound, that is possible. But I wonder is there is not another factor. The earpads, by wearing them a lot, become more souple, so the position on the ears is not same either, so this could be an explanation, as they are less rigid.

Of course, another thing, is I could get used to the sound, but all I know is I have now a bit warm involving sound, but hear every little thing in the mix, and listen to it for hours. The 100 Aap cannot do that for me.     

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #1,394 of 1,768
Got MDR 100AAP few days back. Sound quality is very good ( both bass and clarity). But I made a observation that performance is marginally better when I connect it to my NWZ E474 walkman through Fiio E12 amplifier. Bass is tighter and overall sound is more crisp, like Hi Fi system. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,395 of 1,768
  Got MDR 100AAP few days back. Sound quality is very good ( both bass and clarity). But I made a observation that performance is marginally better when I connect it to my NWZ E474 walkman through Fiio E12 amplifier. Bass is tighter and overall sound is more crisp, like Hi Fi system. 

Glad you like them. I've tried them with all my gear (iMac, Audinst MX1, Yamaha receiver) but they sound significantly better when straight out of my A25 Walkman. To each their own 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back