Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Feb 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,411 of 1,768
To be honest I am fairly new to the world of higher quality headphones.  I have had a HD598 and V-Moda for over a year now, but I've tried a number of headphones over the past 6 months (mostly open ones), including Fidelio X2, AKG 712, Grado 325e, Nighthawk, HiFiMan 400s, and Oppo PM-3.   They all have their strengths and I can easily see why people favor them (the Nighthawk being my favorite of those), but if there is anything I've learned it's that price doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better sounding headphone that pleases your ears.   When I first tried the 100aap I was astounded at how good it was for only $200.  It is easily comparable to the Oppo at half the price.  Yes, the Oppo might be technically superior but it's a bit too clinical sounding to me.  The MDR 1A and the 100aap both have a super smooth tone to them that I can listen to for long periods of time.  I've decided that I am not much of a fan of the treble leaning, ear scraping sound favored by most audiophiles.  It's just not natural to me.  Plus, I have yet to try a headphone that matches the comfort level of the Sony models.

To me, the pm3 is worth twice it's price

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,412 of 1,768
   but if there is anything I've learned it's that price doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better sounding headphone that pleases your ears.

You are so right, i love my Fischer Audio FA 003 and they are cheap and i have the NightHawks, when i think about it, i can live happy with my Fischer Audio without any other full size headphones.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #1,413 of 1,768
Hey guys, I dont know if this has been mentioned recently, but as far as ive gone through the thread no one has given any definitive explanations about the pads.

MDR-1R pads are of a similar size and both fit very comfortably around the ear, but you cannot switch them. They both are clipped onto the baffles via plastic tabs, and the tabs are in very similar positions, however the 100AAP tabs are across the middle of the pad, whereas the MDR-1R pads have tabs at top and bottoms of the pads.

I wanted to know so bad I got both.

Not sure what you mean....were you trying to put 1A pads on the 100aap? Now that would be interesting

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,415 of 1,768
I have decided to keep the 100aap over the 1A.   I still really like the 1A and the comfort is unsurpassed by probably anything I've ever had, but the claritytighter bass of the 100aap won me over.  It's the perfect portable, closed back in terms of comfort, compactness for travel, and sound.  Although brighter than the 1A, it still has a non-fatiguing tone.  Awesome all around.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,421 of 1,768
I got a 3m long cable from Amazon for only $20. It was advertised as a Mdr 1A replacement but it works perfectly on the 100aap.

I have one of these I really like
https://www.radioshack.com/products/headphone-extension-cord?variant=5717780037

it's a 1/8" female to 1/4" male.  Perfect for most portable headphones to be used on home stereo equipment.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,422 of 1,768
Hello people!

I am interested in trying out a new closed back headphone. Right now I own a pair of MDR-1R's. Those are my primary headphones right now (looking to get a second, open back pair sometime in the future), so I use them at home, office, and would like to use them on public transport, but they leak sound and don't really isolate too well... I was thinking of getting either the MDR-1A's or the MDR-100 AAP's, but which would you suggest?

Things I like about my 1R:
- the only way to listen to music with more comfort is through speakers. Super comfortable, at least compared to cans I've tried before.
- great looks. brown / silver version in particular looks very classy IMO
- easy to drive. My LG G2 can power them with ease.
- great soundstage.
- lovely mids. they sound rather warm (slightly distorted?) but I like that
- treble has lots of detail, and sounds very precise, and I hope I'm using the right terminology here

Things I don't like about my 1R:
- sub bass extension is nowhere to be found. it's basically a wasteland below, like a 100 hz
- amount of bass is not enough for me
- treble (frequencies where, for example, electric guitars live) is lacking a little for rock music, and makes them sound a little dull
- pretty bad isolation, and sound leak

So which of the two Sony's would be your suggestion for me?

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,423 of 1,768
  Hello people!

I am interested in trying out a new closed back headphone. Right now I own a pair of MDR-1R's. Those are my primary headphones right now (looking to get a second, open back pair sometime in the future), so I use them at home, office, and would like to use them on public transport, but they leak sound and don't really isolate too well... I was thinking of getting either the MDR-1A's or the MDR-100 AAP's, but which would you suggest?

Things I like about my 1R:
- the only way to listen to music with more comfort is through speakers. Super comfortable, at least compared to cans I've tried before.
- great looks. brown / silver version in particular looks very classy IMO
- easy to drive. My LG G2 can power them with ease.
- great soundstage.
- lovely mids. they sound rather warm (slightly distorted?) but I like that
- treble has lots of detail, and sounds very precise, and I hope I'm using the right terminology here

Things I don't like about my 1R:
- sub bass extension is nowhere to be found. it's basically a wasteland below, like a 100 hz
- amount of bass is not enough for me
- treble (frequencies where, for example, electric guitars live) is lacking a little for rock music, and makes them sound a little dull
- pretty bad isolation, and sound leak

So which of the two Sony's would be your suggestion for me?

Probably the 100aap, while they dont have fantastic isolation i find it better than the 1r and 1a and they're also a bit brighter to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back