Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Feb 22, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,441 of 1,768
My 100AAP has crossed 100 hours of burn in , and the sound performance has considerably improved when compared to how they sounded out of the box. Clarity and bass have improved vastly.     I just think sound may improve even further.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,447 of 1,768
Further to my post last week, ref TRRS to TRS adaptor - I received it a couple of days ago.  Works as advertised by properly mating the 100AAP TRRS connector to my TRS extension cord.  Sound is now correct & wonderful.

I don't know how others are properly connecting to an extension cord without one of these types of adapters as I couldn't get mine to work without one.

It's too bad that they don't sell these in 'The Dollar Store' for a fraction of the price, ha!

TAM

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,448 of 1,768
  Further to my post last week, ref TRRS to TRS adaptor - I received it a couple of days ago.  Works as advertised by properly mating the 100AAP TRRS connector to my TRS extension cord.  Sound is now correct & wonderful.

I don't know how others are properly connecting to an extension cord without one of these types of adapters as I couldn't get mine to work without one.

It's too bad that they don't sell these in 'The Dollar Store' for a fraction of the price, ha!

TAM

It has a lot to do with how good the female TRS jack is on an extension cable.  I think the better ones have a larger contact patch on the ground wire to properly contact both the mic and ground sleeves on a TRRS plug.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,449 of 1,768
My 100AAP has crossed 100 hours of burn in , and the sound performance has considerably improved when compared to how they sounded out of the box. Clarity and bass have improved vastly.     I just think sound may improve even further.

This sure is good news. Could you describe your source as well, thanks.

I'm wishing for slightly tighter bass and a little more emphasis on treble, and your post certainly seems to answer that positively.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,450 of 1,768
Source is NWZ E474 with Fiio E12 amp. Following eq settings work best-

From left to right  ( max is +3 )
Clear bass + 3
+2 ( adds volume)
+3 ( adds treble sparkle - which I like)

E12 - bass switch "ON"

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,451 of 1,768
Source is NWZ E474 with Fiio E12 amp. Following eq settings work best-

From left to right  ( max is +3 )
Clear bass + 3
+2 ( adds volume)
+3 ( adds treble sparkle - which I like)

E12 - bass switch "ON"

Thanks. Is this the eq setting that you have been using all throughout your listening with these headphones? Or do you also listen with eq turned off, thanks.

I used to be a huge EQ fan when I used my Cowon DAPs earlier. Nowadays I'm happy with what the DAC/ amp combo has to offer.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,453 of 1,768
Just picked up a pair of the 100AAPs and I'm pretty impressed.  In the last few weeks I've been trying to find a good portable that I can use at the office for hours on end.  I went through the 1A, the 1ABT, the AT MSR7 and now the 100AAP trying to replace the Studio Wireless that I was already using in the office (they are not nearly as bad as most make them seem, especially since I got em for free).

So to compare:

The 1A has too much bass bleed IMO.  A little too bloated and slow for my liking.  Everything else was great about them except maybe the size.  A little bulky for my medium sized head.  By far the most comfortable headphone I've ever had.  Which is why I ultimately went and exchanged them for the 1ABT as I heard they tamed the bass a little bit and added BT connectivity.  All of which is true, however, functionally they were terrible.  I am not a fan of the touch controls and the pairing and connection profiles on my Macbook didn't work nearly as good as the Beats did.  I had to manually connect them each time and then select them from the audio preferences.  Just annoying.  Both versions of the 1A creaked quite a bit when I moved my head too which was annoying and ultimately the final straw.  Not a deal breaker at all, just something to note.

So I decided no more bluetooth which is why I went to the MSR7.  Absolutely a fantastic headphone but it was just a touch bass light.  I had to tweak the sound on all of my devices to really like them.  I didn't feel like they were worth the 250 dollar price tag.  There was a significant amount of clamping pressure as well.  I'm sure that would ease up over time, but I didn't want to wait that out when the sound sig wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Enter the 100AAP...I believe the perfect mix of the 1A and the MSR7 as far as sound and comfort goes.  They are EXTREMELY light and quite a bit smaller than the 1A which I really like.  I wish they folded flat (as opposed to folding into each other) for storage in my laptop case, but that's really the only gripe I've got.  They don't feel quite as solid as the MSR7 but they feel great compared to the 1A/1ABT.  Can't go wrong with these and obviously the 1A's creaking hinges is an issue because one of the features of the 100AAP is silent hinges, lol.

The bass isn't quite as bloated as the 1A or as thin as the MSR7, so it's basically right in my sweet spot.  It hits extremely hard when needed and it is always present.  I certainly wouldn't sway a recovering basshead (like myself) from these.  They have plenty of bass to satisfy all but the most serious bass fiend.  It goes extremely low and has a lot of texture while not bleeding into the midrange like the 1A does.  The other set of headphones I've got is a pair of Crossfade Wireless and the mids on the 100AAP are way more present, so they'd be really good for vocal music.  I'm mostly into hip hop and southern rock, so not all that necessary, but I can see the strength of them.  The highs are par for the course in a V shaped headphone...nice and sparkly, but not harsh.  The MSR7 was a touch too bright sometimes, so these Sony's are quite a bit smoother overall.  Definitely not simblant at all.

I really cannot recommend these highly enough.  Seems like the few people that have tried them around here have preferred the 1A, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I suppose I have different requirements than most.

Either way, 200 bucks very well spent.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,454 of 1,768

Just picked up a pair of the 100AAPs and I'm pretty impressed.  In the last few weeks I've been trying to find a good portable that I can use at the office for hours on end.  I went through the 1A, the 1ABT, the AT MSR7 and now the 100AAP trying to replace the Studio Wireless that I was already using in the office (they are not nearly as bad as most make them seem, especially since I got em for free).

So to compare:

The 1A has too much bass bleed IMO.  A little too bloated and slow for my liking.  Everything else was great about them except maybe the size.  A little bulky for my medium sized head.  By far the most comfortable headphone I've ever had.  Which is why I ultimately went and exchanged them for the 1ABT as I heard they tamed the bass a little bit and added BT connectivity.  All of which is true, however, functionally they were terrible.  I am not a fan of the touch controls and the pairing and connection profiles on my Macbook didn't work nearly as good as the Beats did.  I had to manually connect them each time and then select them from the audio preferences.  Just annoying.  Both versions of the 1A creaked quite a bit when I moved my head too which was annoying and ultimately the final straw.  Not a deal breaker at all, just something to note.

So I decided no more bluetooth which is why I went to the MSR7.  Absolutely a fantastic headphone but it was just a touch bass light.  I had to tweak the sound on all of my devices to really like them.  I didn't feel like they were worth the 250 dollar price tag.  There was a significant amount of clamping pressure as well.  I'm sure that would ease up over time, but I didn't want to wait that out when the sound sig wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Enter the 100AAP...I believe the perfect mix of the 1A and the MSR7 as far as sound and comfort goes.  They are EXTREMELY light and quite a bit smaller than the 1A which I really like.  I wish they folded flat (as opposed to folding into each other) for storage in my laptop case, but that's really the only gripe I've got.  They don't feel quite as solid as the MSR7 but they feel great compared to the 1A/1ABT.  Can't go wrong with these and obviously the 1A's creaking hinges is an issue because one of the features of the 100AAP is silent hinges, lol.

The bass isn't quite as bloated as the 1A or as thin as the MSR7, so it's basically right in my sweet spot.  It hits extremely hard when needed and it is always present.  I certainly wouldn't sway a recovering basshead (like myself) from these.  They have plenty of bass to satisfy all but the most serious bass fiend.  It goes extremely low and has a lot of texture while not bleeding into the midrange like the 1A does.  The other set of headphones I've got is a pair of Crossfade Wireless and the mids on the 100AAP are way more present, so they'd be really good for vocal music.  I'm mostly into hip hop and southern rock, so not all that necessary, but I can see the strength of them.  The highs are par for the course in a V shaped headphone...nice and sparkly, but not harsh.  The MSR7 was a touch too bright sometimes, so these Sony's are quite a bit smoother overall.  Definitely not simblant at all.

I really cannot recommend these highly enough.  Seems like the few people that have tried them around here have preferred the 1A, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I suppose I have different requirements than most.

Either way, 200 bucks very well spent.

Awesome - congrats! In addition to how they sound, I love how non-fatiguing and comfortable they are. I wish they isolated a bit more, but that's about it.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,455 of 1,768

Awesome - congrats! In addition to how they sound, I love how non-fatiguing and comfortable they are. I wish they isolated a bit more, but that's about it.

Yeah, definitely agree.  So comfortable, tho the 1A is slightly more comfy as it's bigger and more plush...buy maybe the 100AAPs will break in.  Isolation isn't a huge deal to me as I do appreciate a little openness because I need to hear my office line ring...so complete isolation wouldn't really work (hence my need to replace the Beats Studio Wireless and it's noise canceling).  I've only had em for a day, and I love everything about them...never thought I'd actually be satisfied w/ a headphone but I think I am now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back