Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 31, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,397 of 1,768
I'd say the 1A is more comfortable but the 100aap is very comfortable too. 

The 1A has slightly bigger ear pads and they seem a bit softer too.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,398 of 1,768
This isn't confirmed (I don't think) but I think that these headphones may be wired internally for a balanced connection. I got a balanced cable for my MDR-1A's (as it has been confirmed that those are wired for balanced) and just for the hell of it, I plugged that wire into the 100aap's. The wire worked perfectly and the headphones sounded even better though the balanced wire.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,399 of 1,768
  This isn't confirmed (I don't think) but I think that these headphones may be wired internally for a balanced connection. I got a balanced cable for my MDR-1A's (as it has been confirmed that those are wired for balanced) and just for the hell of it, I plugged that wire into the 100aap's. The wire worked perfectly and the headphones sounded even better though the balanced wire.

hey....just got the MDR-1A.  Curious as to what type of cable you have and whether you noticed any improvement in sound.  I really like the MDR-1A so far though, but obviously not against making them even better. 

Also, how do you rate the 100aap v. the MDR-1A?

thanks

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,400 of 1,768

hey....just got the MDR-1A.  Curious as to what type of cable you have and whether you noticed any improvement in sound.  I really like the MDR-1A so far though, but obviously not against making them even better. 

Also, how do you rate the 100aap v. the MDR-1A?

thanks

I got the cable from Surf Cables. The cable didn't change the sound signature of the headphones, but there was a slight increase in sound stage, layering, and detail. 

I've only been using it with the Cayin N5 which doesn't have dual DACs, only dual amps. The main advantage in using the balanced on the N5 is the extra driving power and current, which the MDR-1A's really don't need. If the player had dual DAC's for each channel as well rather than just dual amps, then I'm sure there would be a bigger improvement in the sound.

I think the 100aap has tighter bass and slightly better clarity, but I still feel the overall sound of the MDR-1As are better.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,402 of 1,768
I have the 100aap to compare to the 1A and they are fantastic. Vocals are more forward and the bass is cleaner and punchier. I still really like the 1A - they are more comfortable and I kind of like that deep, rumbly bass. I am torn between which one to keep. They are too similar to justify keeping both. I am leaning toward the 100aap because it's $100 cheaper and they are not too far behind the 1A in the comfort department.

Sony has a real winner in the 100aap. Surprised I haven't seen that many reviews. The sound quality is incredible given the price.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,407 of 1,768
I own both HD800 & 100aap --> love both for many different reasons
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,408 of 1,768
If you're not having the same feelings, move along, many phones released daily. We wish you better luck in the future bro. 

Just providing a balanced point of view so people would make a more considered buying decision than what may be possible based on the views of a few in one thread in one forum, that's all. If you like them, then my opinion shouldn't matter to you.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,409 of 1,768
To be honest I am fairly new to the world of higher quality headphones.  I have had a HD598 and V-Moda for over a year now, but I've tried a number of headphones over the past 6 months (mostly open ones), including Fidelio X2, AKG 712, Grado 325e, Nighthawk, HiFiMan 400s, and Oppo PM-3.   They all have their strengths and I can easily see why people favor them (the Nighthawk being my favorite of those), but if there is anything I've learned it's that price doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better sounding headphone that pleases your ears.   When I first tried the 100aap I was astounded at how good it was for only $200.  It is easily comparable to the Oppo at half the price.  Yes, the Oppo might be technically superior but it's a bit too clinical sounding to me.  The MDR 1A and the 100aap both have a super smooth tone to them that I can listen to for long periods of time.  I've decided that I am not much of a fan of the treble leaning, ear scraping sound favored by most audiophiles.  It's just not natural to me.  Plus, I have yet to try a headphone that matches the comfort level of the Sony models.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,410 of 1,768
Hey guys, I dont know if this has been mentioned recently, but as far as ive gone through the thread no one has given any definitive explanations about the pads.

MDR-1R pads are of a similar size and both fit very comfortably around the ear, but you cannot switch them. They both are clipped onto the baffles via plastic tabs, and the tabs are in very similar positions, however the 100AAP tabs are across the middle of the pad, whereas the MDR-1R pads have tabs at top and bottoms of the pads.

I wanted to know so bad I got both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back