Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Dec 30, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,261 of 1,768
  Meaning? 
blink.gif

LOL! Meaning I am angry, because that's a great price for it!

Congratulations by the way.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,262 of 1,768
Would go 100AAP any day of the week.
For closed I think they are the best SONY has on the market only Z7 beating it.

Anyone seen those 101 80s Hits CDs and the like in stores? So good on these, the love keeps growing.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,263 of 1,768
Hey guys, new here to the community.

I bought the 100aap along with the CMT-SX7 (Read all the 80 pages of this thread before)
I don't know how to explain you but in the CMT-SX7 sound is amazing, listening to John Williams 24/192 is awesome, but at night when I plug the 100aap sound is totally different, I don't know, before I had the MDR-1R and I was quite satisfied, I thought that i was making an "upgrade"

What do you think? Maybe my ears are wrong? Or maybe low quality files? (Have an iTunes library with AAC256 files but starting to get lot of HiRes albums already to do some comparisons)

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,268 of 1,768
Man, you guys really did push me to take a leap of faith here.

Was looking at the MDR-1A to have a bit of a plushy-er headphone to travel with, replacing my original M50....then i stumbled upon the great 100aap vs 1a debate.

I ended up going to the 100aap. The cans will arrive on tuesday, and let's see how it'll be.

I'll blame you guys if it doesn't float my boat heheh 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,269 of 1,768
Has anyone used the DT770 before this, or after, or have both? Any comments?

DT770 in any variation is far above the level of MDR-1A or 100. Far better resolution, detail, extension, bigger soundstage, better imaging, etc. Simply not comparable because DT770 is a 300 dollar level headphone and worth it completely, Sony's are pushing it at 150 for what you get in terms of sound.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,270 of 1,768
Man, you guys really did push me to take a leap of faith here.

Was looking at the MDR-1A to have a bit of a plushy-er headphone to travel with, replacing my original M50....then i stumbled upon the great 100aap vs 1a debate.

I ended up going to the 100aap. The cans will arrive on tuesday, and let's see how it'll be.

I'll blame you guys if it doesn't float my boat heheh :evil:

Awesome, let us know. I just went with the 1A, but never had a chance to try the 100aap. So far very happy with them. They dont really look good on me though, i think the 100aap probably would look better.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,271 of 1,768

DT770 in any variation is far above the level of MDR-1A or 100. Far better resolution, detail, extension, bigger soundstage, better imaging, etc. Simply not comparable because DT770 is a 300 dollar level headphone and worth it completely, Sony's are pushing it at 150 for what you get in terms of sound.

Thanks for your feedback mate. But I don't know, DT770 Pro isn't 300 USD here in India, they cost around 12k-14k INR, depending on impedance, which is quite a lot below 300 USD, and in fact I chose the 100AAP completely because I was scared about Beyerdynamics, I mean after trying out the Audio Technica M40X I was scared about those so called Tier 1 audio brands, thought they have a different kind of sound, so went for Sony as my previous one was too! I saved around 4k INR by opting for the 100AAP over the DT770, which is a mere 60 USD! Budget was never the issue, now after seeing your comment feels like that I should have gone for it. Anyway, will make the move later.

PS: Any takers from India? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,272 of 1,768
Yes the DT770 is a much cheaper headphone than the Sony £100 vs £150!

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,273 of 1,768
I had an extended listen at 3 different Sony shops near me. 
At the same time, I listened to the Denon AH-MM400, ($400) double the price, and the MDR-1A, and the Momentum 2.0.

I narrowed it down to the MDR-100AAP and the Denon AH-MM400.

I just happened to pass by and see the MDR-1A, $300, and it was just a display sample.  So I tried it, expecting dark, muddy Sony.  Well, no, it was actually very good.
And the comfort, which has rocketed up to right near the top of the list, above build quality and price, right next to sound quality, was the best ever.
Too many cans have been unwearable after an hour . Not these.  So I was like, dang, might I actually consider these?  Just maybe.

Then I went to go look for the Denon.  That was the main purpose of the trip.  On the way, I happened to see this thread.  I was like, oh, well these 100AAP are all over the place.  So I had a listen, and my first listen I was floored.  These were clearly, obviously better than the MDR-1A, and I never picked up the MDR-1A again.

I listened to the Denon, and it was just different, but *probably* more mature, more neutral, more detailed.  But they are also more than twice the price.

The Momentum 2.0 is very expensive here, and also double price.  So I had a listen anyway.  Not bad but not better than the 100AAP.

Then the Bang & Olufsen H6, wow that's comfortable but just anemic.  

I then went back and forth between the Denon MM400 and the 100AAP.  

I then took a listen to the P5 series 2.  Sorry, no go.  Not good.

Then the Momentum 2.0 again, and once again it didn't sound as good as the 100AAP.

So it's now the MM400 and 100AAP.

The 100AAP:

--wonderful space between the notes
--brighter sounding, seemed to have thinner mids, but very nice sparkle
--deep wide spacious soundstage
--very energetic and quick and deep, ample bass.
--super comfortable and light, I can't imagine anyone who would find comfort an issue
--unashamedly plastic, but I consider this a plus b/c you don't need to worry about putting these in a backpack. They are made to be used out and about.
--super good for rock and pop

Denon MM400:
--everything a little more coherent
--not as fun, more clinical, more detailed
--bass is there, but probably as the sound engineer recorded it. No boosting at all.
--plays everything well
--more mature and probably what audiophiles would like, kind of would grade out better on a technical analysis
--comfort is very excellent as well, I have no issues with it.
--these reminded me of the NAD Viso H50, but with way better fit

The 100AAP because of its low price just simply can't be ignored.  It is the best bang for buck headphone I have ever heard.
My single worry is if the highs are a little too piercing or could be tamed a little.  But these are very, very minor and had I not ever heard the Denon, I wouldn't even be thinking twice.

Score:
100AAP:  97%
Denon MM400: 99%

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,274 of 1,768
Impressive read ^^^ 

100AAP is a very refined $200us priced headphone, SONY deserves some praise.
I own two for the simple fact that are so good for the price and compliment my Z7 which never goes outside.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,275 of 1,768
  I had an extended listen at 3 different Sony shops near me. 

I narrowed it down to the MDR-100AAP and the Denon AH-MM400.

I just happened to pass by and see the MDR-1A, $300, and it was just a display sample.  So I tried it, expecting dark, muddy Sony.  Well, no, it was actually very good.
And the comfort, which has rocketed up to right near the top of the list, above build quality and price, right next to sound quality, was the best ever.
Too many cans have been unwearable after an hour . Not these.  So I was like, dang, might I actually consider these?  Just maybe.

Then I went to go look for the Denon.  That was the main purpose of the trip.  On the way, I happened to see this thread.  I was like, oh, well these 100AAP are all over the place.  So I had a listen, and my first listen I was floored.  These were clearly, obviously better than the MDR-1A, and I never picked up the MDR-1A again.

I listened to the Denon, and it was just different, but *probably* more mature, more neutral, more detailed.  But they are also more than twice the price.

The Momentum 2.0 is very expensive here, and also double price.  So I had a listen anyway.  Not bad but not better than the 100AAP.

Then the Bang & Olufsen H6, wow that's comfortable but just anemic.  

I then went back and forth between the Denon MM400 and the 100AAP.  

I then took a listen to the P5 series 2.  Sorry, no go.  Not good.

Then the Momentum 2.0 again, and once again it didn't sound as good as the 100AAP.

So it's now the MM400 and 100AAP.

The 100AAP:

--wonderful space between the notes
--brighter sounding, seemed to have thinner mids, but very nice sparkle
--deep wide spacious soundstage
--very energetic and quick and deep, ample bass.
--super comfortable and light, I can't imagine anyone who would find comfort an issue
--unashamedly plastic, but I consider this a plus b/c you don't need to worry about putting these in a backpack. They are made to be used out and about.
--super good for rock and pop

Denon MM400:
--everything a little more coherent
--not as fun, more clinical, more detailed
--bass is there, but probably as the sound engineer recorded it. No boosting at all.
--plays everything well
--more mature and probably what audiophiles would like, kind of would grade out better on a technical analysis
--comfort is very excellent as well, I have no issues with it.
--these reminded me of the NAD Viso H50, but with way better fit

The 100AAP because of its low price just simply can't be ignored.  It is the best bang for buck headphone I have ever heard.
My single worry is if the highs are a little too piercing or could be tamed a little.  But these are very, very minor and had I not ever heard the Denon, I wouldn't even be thinking twice.

Score:
100AAP:  97%
Denon MM400: 99%

Very interesting impressions! I've been semi-lusting over the MM400's for a while, so your thoughts should help temper that lust (at least temporarily).

My 100aap's have taken a bit of a back seat lately as I only have 2 ears and have been enjoying the Vmoda "Phantom Chrome" M100's quite a bit. I really love the M100's, especially for electronic music and when on the go (they isolate quite a bit better than the 100aap's, and they look very nice imo). But when I throw the 100aap's back on, they are like nice fitting gloves - just so comfortable and enjoyable to listen to. I've been thinking that I should do the fiscally responsible thing and sell them, but they have other ideas lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back