Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Dec 27, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,246 of 1,768
  Anyone have these and listen to EDM? I can't seem to find many reviews that touch on this.

My head/ears must be oddly shaped because I have a horrible time finding headphones that fit comfortably. Everyone seems to rave about how comfortable these Sonys are so I'm interested. They seem almost perfect, I'm just concerned that they are too flat and therefore not "fun and exciting" enough for my Deep House music... Some reviews talk about misty mids which sort of turns me off as well.

If anybody could help me out and maybe list a couple of specific tracks that sound nice on these, I would greatly appreciate it. If not I may just go for the M50x (more exciting to listen to?) or much cheaper yet still very well received M-Audio Q40s, which apparently will require some modification to be comfortable.

They're definitely not flat with the bass and mids being quite upfront and engaging, i think it really depends on how you like your treble. The sonys are somewhat laidback up top compared to something like the ath-m50x which has more attack up top. The sonys never come across as harsh or fatiguing but they can sound a little too laid back on certain tracks if you're like me and enjoy some emphasis up top. They are definitely a fun sounding headphone though if you like your bass and vocals.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,247 of 1,768
I personally found the mids lacking compared to the M50x, vocals just sounded a bit too distant - decided the MSR7 was worth the extra. The M50x has a reputation for recessed mids but its upper midrange does shimmer nicely. The mdr100aap reminds me of an IM70 minus the midrange...

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,248 of 1,768
Hey, a bit of a lurker here. I placed an order for the 100aap and was wondering if a dac would be recommended to get more out of them. I got a custom pc and the mobo is http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=13-130-873, also have a Note 5.

I ordered mine from Amazon Spain so the total was around $160 with upgraded global shipping for whoever was looking for a bit of a deal compared to US prices. Should be here by Wednesday, ordered Sunday night

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,249 of 1,768
Hey, a bit of a lurker here. I placed an order for the 100aap and was wondering if a dac would be recommended to get more out of them. I got a custom pc and the mobo is http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=13-130-873, also have a Note 5.

I ordered mine from Amazon Spain so the total was around $160 with upgraded global shipping for whoever was looking for a bit of a deal compared to US prices. Should be here by Wednesday, ordered Sunday night

It is always recommended to get a DAC if you want the best out of your headphone.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,250 of 1,768

They're easy to drive and sound pretty good straight out of the desktop or mobile phone imo. I've tried them with different dacs, amped and unamped and there's no real difference to my ears.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,251 of 1,768
  It is always recommended to get a DAC if you want the best out of your headphone.

They're easy to drive and sound pretty good straight out of the desktop or mobile phone imo. I've tried them with different dacs, amped and unamped and there's no real difference to my ears.

Thanks for the advice, if there's any issues with connecting these to my mobo, then I'll probably look at the FiiO E10k.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,252 of 1,768

Thanks for the advice, if there's any issues with connecting these to my mobo, then I'll probably look at the FiiO E10k.

Yeh try it first and go from there, the cable it comes with it rather short for a typical desktop setup. The problem i found is the socket on the earcup is recessed so finding a cable that fits can be hard, i ended up just using an extension cable.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,253 of 1,768

For portable use the matching A20 series Walkman is its perfect partner.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,254 of 1,768
Looks like I'm out for purchasing the MDR-100AAP...
I ended up purchasing a set of MDR-XB950BT instead.
I know they are a completely different direction, but I needed a pair with Bluetooth ability.
Here in the U.S. they were selling on Amazon for $128 for limited time...only a few hours I think.
I took the advantage of Best Buy's price match guarantee and used my $50 gift card...paid only $86 total out of pocket after sales tax.
So far I'm enjoying their warmer and livelier sound...don't use the Xtra Bass function and seems well balanced.
Definitely a "fun" sounding headphone.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,256 of 1,768
Availible in Sweden for 999 SEK. I just made an order
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,

Yeah I just saw that too!
I was almost buying the MDR-1A for 1130SEK, but now those MDR-100AAP is on sale for 999SEK.
Hmm... which one to pick?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back