Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #961 of 1,768

Can you please do a quick comparison MT220 vs. 100AAP?
I read somewhere the Yamahas are a bit boosted up top and very revealing of hiss, bad microphones and recordings. (unforgiving). Are their highs fatiguing, or bright?
Also can you please measure the inner size of the ear pads?

I have never heard any hiss or microphonics with the mt220's, so that's not an issue. They are very revealing though, so yes, bad recordings might be exposed (I'm not really sure though as I try to stay away from bad recordings). I wouldn't say that the highs are boosted, but the they are more forward and detailed than the 100aap's.

Inner earpad sizes:
mt220 = 4cm x 5.5cm rectangular
100aap = 3cm x 6.25cm oval

Quick comparo (and take it with a grain of salt, because I suck at this lol)

Sound: mt220 > 100aap. Switching between the two, the 100aap's feel flatter and smoother. The details are there throughout the FR, but the mt220's have greater detail and are more resolving. The mt220's  are very balanced, but the bass has more impact and layering, and the highs are more forward and detailed, and the have great "prat". The mt220's soundstage is deeper and more 3d-like and they have better imaging. They really sound marvellous to my ears, but there's so much detail going on that some might find them a bit distracting and possibly even fatiguing after a while. So the mt220's rock, but the flatter sig of the 100aap's is very appealing to me as well - the details are there, but they are smoother and less fatiguing (I'm not sure if "euphonic" is the right term), so I find myself enjoying both the mt220 and 100aap pretty much equally these days - they compliment each other nicely.

Portability: 100aap > mt220. The mt220 doesn't have a removable cable and the cable is coiled at the end. The mt220's look very nice though, and I would wear them out if I could.

Comfort: 100aap > mt220. The mt220's are very comfortable, but they are also a bit heavier, so I can feel the headband on the top of my head after a while. Never the case with the 100aap's which are very light.

Isolation: mt220>100aap? About the same, but the mt220's might isolate a bit better.

Hope this helps!

Completely agree with all this^^

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #962 of 1,768
I'm not sure that I agree. I got them for portable use, but I am finding that I like them so much that I've been happily using them at home. I don't see why many people couldn't be completely happy using these at home.

Well based on my testing playing them on a home setup at the dealership I experienced the bass rattle and some distortion when I started to increase the volume passed a certain point. To me that limits the appeal on using them on my home setup. Just knowing there is a limit would worry me about over driving them and damaging the drivers.

The sales guys I spoke to when I did the audition said that the marketing material they got from the Sony sales rep was to push these as being ideal for cellphone and portable device use. May not mean they aren't okay to use on a home system but I would be more comfortable if the were marketing them as being good for both.

It's interesting that some users report a bass rattle issue and some don't.  If you aren't having this issue I have to wonder if there is a quality control issue with this model.  It could be hit or miss whether buyers end up with a bass rattle pair or not.

Sony does not give any maximum recommended input volume (usually in mW) for these on the web site and there is no manual listed yet.  In the documentation you get with the headphones does it give a figure?  It could be recommended maximum or even RMS.typically 30 to 50mW for portable headphones

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #963 of 1,768

Well based on my testing playing them on a home setup at the dealership I experienced the bass rattle and some distortion when I started to increase the volume passed a certain point. To me that limits the appeal on using them on my home setup. Just knowing there is a limit would worry me about over driving them and damaging the drivers.

The sales guys I spoke to when I did the audition said that the marketing material they got from the Sony sales rep was to push these as being ideal for cellphone and portable device use. May not mean they aren't okay to use on a home system but I would be more comfortable if the were marketing them as being good for both.

It's interesting that some users report a bass rattle issue and some don't.  If you aren't having this issue I have to wonder if there is a quality control issue with this model.  It could be hit or miss whether buyers end up with a bass rattle pair or not.

Sony does not give any maximum recommended input volume (usually in mW) for these on the web site and there is no manual listed yet.  In the documentation you get with the headphones does it give a figure?  It could be recommended maximum or even RMS.typically 30 to 50mW for portable headphones

I think it might just be abotu the volume-level people are listening at, actually.  The MDR-1A had a maximum input of something like a full Watt, seriously, so I'm guessing these might be similar?

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #964 of 1,768

I think it might just be abotu the volume-level people are listening at, actually.  The MDR-1A had a maximum input of something like a full Watt, seriously, so I'm guessing these might be similar?

Yeah you are right I have no doubt it is volume related, I just wouldn't want to to use a headphone for a use it wasn't intended and risking damage to it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #965 of 1,768
I play the MDR-100aap at very high volume levels and I think there's no risk of damaging it. Yeah, you get some bass bloat but it's not exactly overwhelming crunching distortion. 

The MDR-100aap was specifically designed for portable use and if you're not comfortable using it with desktop equipment that's understandable. I personally rarely if ever do because I have a lot of other headphones that i prefer for that purpose. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #967 of 1,768
A while back in this thread I posted partially done track that illustrated where the sony's were lacking in very deep bass, but they did fine for listening - not quite the sub of some headphones but agreeable. I'm working on something rather more intricate now with lots of tiny top end details. Interestingly the Yamaha MT220 is not finding those high details much but the Sony is. Still not as high as it could be but I have to say the top end clarity on these h.ear AA100 whatever headphones is really very good. It's still not up there with the X2 or mofi but this is far more than I'd expect for the price. Damn, Sony, you did a really REALLY good headphone. 

Test stereo field at the very high end here. Start listening for it at about 1:15. I wrote this and I was annoyed I couldn't mix it a bit in the pub because I took my giant MT220's with me. Next time, the Sonys.
http://www.slunq.com/temps/Moveless.wav.zip

or play 192 mp3 now:

http://www.slunq.com/temps/Moveless.mp3

Not a huge difference, and I'm mastering this with me sparkly ears :)

Just so you know, the stereo width of the very high stuff is deliberately tiny. About 5 to and 5 past 12 on a clock. if you can hear that, the headphones are doing well. I can easily hear that on the Sonys - little clicks and snaps tiny things just left and just right. Try your other headphones - see how they do. Final mix will have that fully spread. If you can't hear it on the Sonys your ears may have had it.

PS I just listened to mp3 - you can hear the high end a lot more on that actually, but it's not actually high. It's an approximation. I take that back about not a huge difference. There is.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #969 of 1,768
  I play the MDR-100aap at very high volume levels and I think there's no risk of damaging it. Yeah, you get some bass bloat but it's not exactly overwhelming crunching distortion. 

The MDR-100aap was specifically designed for portable use and if you're not comfortable using it with desktop equipment that's understandable. I personally rarely if ever do because I have a lot of other headphones that i prefer for that purpose. 

You have MT220s do you agree with my post immediately above this one? Or are you just HOW LOUD CAN IT GO?

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #973 of 1,768

Well dude you've got stuff like the Nighthawks and Alpha Dogs, and now a pair of Ether C's waiting for ya at home, so yeah why would you EVER bother with something like the 100AAP for desktop use, LMAO.

A while back in this thread I posted partially done track that illustrated where the sony's were lacking in very deep bass, but they did fine for listening - not quite the sub of some headphones but agreeable. I'm working on something rather more intricate now with lots of tiny top end details. Interestingly the Yamaha MT220 is not finding those high details much but the Sony is. Still not as high as it could be but I have to say the top end clarity on these h.ear AA100 whatever headphones is really very good. It's still not up there with the X2 or mofi but this is far more than I'd expect for the price. Damn, Sony, you did a really REALLY good headphone. 

Test stereo field at the very high end here. Start listening for it at about 1:15. I wrote this and I was annoyed I couldn't mix it a bit in the pub because I took my giant MT220's with me. Next time, the Sonys.

or play 192 mp3 now:

http://www.slunq.com/temps/Moveless.mp3

Not a huge difference, and I'm mastering this with me sparkly ears :)

Just so you know, the stereo width of the very high stuff is deliberately tiny. About 5 to and 5 past 12 on a clock. if you can hear that, the headphones are doing well. I can easily hear that on the Sonys - little clicks and snaps tiny things just left and just right. Try your other headphones - see how they do. Final mix will have that fully spread. If you can't hear it on the Sonys your ears may have had it.

PS I just listened to mp3 - you can hear the high end a lot more on that actually, but it's not actually high. It's an approximation. I take that back about not a huge difference. There is.

VERY interesting, so you're telling us that the Sony 100AAP actually do significantly/noticably better with details and transparency in the treble than the MUCH-vaunted and hyped-up MT220?  That. . .is pretty amazing, actually.  Especially considering that the 100AAP have an overall warm tilt and (IMO, but YMMV of course) a very non-fatiguing high-end, it is quite impressive that they manage to achieve that kind of detail in the high-end.

I do agree that on the other hand, they are only so-so at resolving true detail (as opposed to just plain old visceral punch, which they do a good job with) down int he lower ends of the bass.  My IEM's (Trinity Delta and Puro Sound Labs IEM500) do a better job with that, actually.  But it's certainly not really a problem when listening for just plain musical enjoyment, rather than more detailed analytical/critical listening, at least for me anyway.
  Tripple post even, lol.

I do not drum, but ok. 
I just like when the cymbals have a real crisp smash and shimmer. 

Oh yes, that shimmer, I think EVERY audiophile loves cymbals with a good shimmer to them :)  It makes stuff so enjoyable to listen to, especially rock.

One thing I really like is some good "prat."  I'd say the 100AAP do about average (for mid-fi) in terms of prat, really.  Wanna hear some amazing prat, guys, that makes drums sound godly, checkout earbuds from Venture Electronics sometime :)  I'm currently saving up for the Zen 2.0 as my next big audio purchase, actually.

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #974 of 1,768
Looking at the price of the P5 and it is $110CAD more than the 100AAP so that is quite the increase in cost.

The 100AAP is a great headphone for comfortable listening. There are definitely better choices for detailed listening or more engaging listening. But I personally find myself prefering the fatigue free sessions I get with all my Sony headphones over the other choices out there.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #975 of 1,768

I'll have to compare with the mt220's later, but cool tune man!

Well dude you've got stuff like the Nighthawks and Alpha Dogs, and now a pair of Ether C's waiting for ya at home, so yeah why would you EVER bother with something like the 100AAP for desktop use, LMAO.

I'm not envious at all lol.

Wanna hear some amazing prat, guys, that makes drums sound godly, checkout earbuds from Venture Electronics sometime :)  I'm currently saving up for the Zen 2.0 as my next big audio purchase, actually.

The man speaks the truth about the Zens.

Looking at the price of the P5 and it is $110CAD more than the 100AAP so that is quite the increase in cost.

The 100AAP is a great headphone for comfortable listening. There are definitely better choices for detailed listening or more engaging listening. But I personally find myself prefering the fatigue free sessions I get with all my Sony headphones over the other choices out there.

Me to. And even though what you say is  absolutely true for the 100aap's, I also find them to be a very engaging listen. What I mean is that I don't find them to be a boring listen at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back