Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #991 of 1,768
I need a lot of base.. I normally use equalizer to put up base to 70 %, mids go to 25 % and treble to 40 %.
with those type of boost you should probably listen to the 100AAP and the 1A if you can as you might actually really like the extra mid bass of the 1A. Both do have more bass than the 10RC.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #992 of 1,768
I'm sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself but sifting through this thread is hard work. From memory, how would you compare the two in more detail?
no problem I don't think I have posted comparisons between the two here anyway.

From memory the HP50 is a more balanced headphone with quite a bit less bass quantity than the 100aap. Because of the lesser bass emphasis I think the HP50 is a bit more dynamic but not by much. The HP50 is more midcentric with a warm tilt versus the 100AAP being more bass centric with a warm tilt. Both have milder treble so are not fatiguing.

For me comfort wise while both have similar sized openings I find my ears fit the 100AAP better better than the HP50. For me the HP50 was not quite wide enough so my ears touched the back of the pads and was irritated.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #993 of 1,768

From memory the HP50 is a more balanced headphone with quite a bit less bass quantity than the 100aap. Because of the lesser bass emphasis I think the HP50 is a bit more dynamic but not by much. The HP50 is more midcentric with a warm tilt versus the 100AAP being more bass centric with a warm tilt. Both have milder treble so are not fatiguing.

For me comfort wise while both have similar sized openings I find my ears fit the 100AAP better better than the HP50. For me the HP50 was not quite wide enough so my ears touched the back of the pads and was irritated.
It may be a candidate for replacing my Momentum 1 as my commuter phones...

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #994 of 1,768

And don't forget that the hp50's headband looks WAY cooler :wink:

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #996 of 1,768
the hp50 looks are the reason why I compromised for the Momentum lol.

Yeah, I really wanted to get them. Couldn't do it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #998 of 1,768

Um. . .are you actually Frankenstein's Monster?
tongue.gif
*can't stop giggling*

Seriously, I've always wondered, were the folks at NAD like, seriously, ON SOMETHING when they designed that damn headband?  It'd designed for SQUARE HEADS!  Square. . .heads. *scratches my own, non-square head, perplexed*

Like, were the engineers/designers on some kind of hallucinogens that made them see round objects as having angular corners and sharp edges?  Lmao.
the hp50 looks are the reason why I compromised for the Momentum lol.

Well the good news is, the 100AAP sound a QUITE a bit better than the Momentum 1, at least in MY opinion.  They're also way more comfy!
Yeah, I really wanted to get them. Couldn't do it.

Me neither man.  I could never go out in public wearing them, I mean have you SEEN what people look like wearing the damn things?  Hahahahaha.
  Is there a video of removing the pads yet?

I don't think so but it's really not that big a deal, just try it yourself man.  There are these little latches holding the pads in place at teh upper left and right and lower left and right corners of the earcup, and it's REALLY easy to slide your fingernail or something else under there, find the latches, and snap the earpads off.  Easy-as-pie once you figure it out.  Trust me, you won't accidentally cause any damage, you don't even have to be ESPECIALLY gentle or anything, just don't try to brute-force it with all your might or anything and you'll be fine, haha.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #999 of 1,768
It's really hard, got the side off with the jack but there are clips in both directions. There also seems to be a rubber seal up there too. 
Was thinking of putting the black pads on my pinks, but maybe not. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,000 of 1,768
Can somebody tell me if these are less warm compared to NAD VISO HP50? They sound like they're warmer than ATH-MSR7?

Warmer with more bass and less treble than the msr7, more comfortable too. They're quite similar in warmth to the hp50 but the sonys have more bass impact, the hp50 has more detail and better tonality but comfort can be an issue.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,001 of 1,768
  It's really hard, got the side off with the jack but there are clips in both directions. There also seems to be a rubber seal up there too. 
Was thinking of putting the black pads on my pinks, but maybe not. 

That's so strange, I didnt' have ANY trouble getting the pads off when I tried just to see if I could. . .once I got one latch undone, all the others came off very easily.

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,002 of 1,768

I think the headband is NAD's idea of anti-theft protection
L3000.gif
  I was hoping NAD would have released an updated version by now with a less crew cut friendly headband
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,004 of 1,768
Well the good news is, the 100AAP sound a QUITE a bit better than the Momentum 1, at least in MY opinion. They're also way more comfy!

In-store impressions said "less coloured", that much for sure. I wasn't sure imaging was that good for some reason. I'm gonna give them another whirl today or tomorrow.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,005 of 1,768
Okay, so I spent some more time with them, and I don't think they'll be replacing my Momentum 1 as my commuter headphones.

COMFORT

Sony wins hands down. The Momentum does pinch my ears and after an hour or so I do want to take them off to give my earlobes a break.

ISOLATION

This I guess is the biggest deal breaker. The M1 has significantly better isolation. I was testing in a busy store environment, which is precisely the kind of place I will be using these headphones in. In fact, on the train, I will need even more isolation. Even the man next to me speaking with a deep voice was very disturbing to me with the Sony, so engine noise will be a problem.

SOUND

It's a moderate, warm V-shape from what I could discern. It's more balanced than the M1, no doubt. Also a much more balanced headphone than the MDR-1A. It doesn't have such a strong signature as the M1, which has a dark, rounded-off kind of sound. However, there were a few things that made me still prefer the M1. The first is the cohesion of the bass in relation to the lower midrange. Say all the mean things you want about the M1 treble, I find the transition from bass to midrange quite natural on the Sennheiser. Because these headphones *need* good classical music rendition (classical music is my profession), I took 2 test tracks I like to use to measure several metrics. Wagner's Tristan und Isolde Overture, Karajan version, I dont' know what year, I listen from about 6:30 for about 40 seconds. This part has long, deep double bass lines along with upper strings soaring above. What troubled me was that the bass seemed too disconnected from the whole - usually a sign of a recessed lower midrange. Indeed, the first violins and basses come through clearly, but I have to strain a bit to hear the second violins and violas clearly. Next track, Carlos Kleiber conducting the Fledermaus Overture, Bavarian State Orchestra. I listen from the start for about 40 seconds here as well. It's usually a test for stridency in the upper strings. The Sony passed that test, the first violins sound great, more natural and clear than on the M1. However, the opening 3 notes are underpinned by timpani strikes - the M1 renders the timpani clearly here, with decent articulation and impact. On the Sony, unfortunately I wouldn't even really be able to tell that timpani were even in the score - the timpani hits came across very undefined and flabby. At the 15 second mark, the violas come in with the "rhythm section", and here the lower midrange recession is again apparent on the Sony. Same story at around 29 seconds, when the second violins answer the first violin melody with a staccato arpeggio - just lacked some bite here. Even the dark M1 brings this out better. Moving on to some jazz, I found vocals to have more pleasant fullness and presence on the M1, although the flaws I heard in the classical tracks were much less of an issue. Now we're getting into conjecture territory, but I found generally in the midrange that there was a bit of artificial sounding smoothing happening, like when somebody over-Photoshops a beauty portrait and removes all the pores. I am just gonna go out on a limb and say that CSD measurements are going to show some ringing at say 5K, or thereabouts. It's one of those predictions that make you look like a genius when you're right, so here I am making it. Oh, soundstage is wider on the Sony, so one point for the Sony there.

TL;DR:

Lack of isolation is a bummer, I can't use these on the train with so little of it. The sound, while on the whole more "balanced" than the M1, it's not an outright win in any way. If you don't need much isolation, and want a smooth, good all rounder, I think these would be a decent choice indeed. I enjoyed them more than the AKG K545, and they're for sure better than the 1A. Probably sonically more appropriate for most tastes than the Momentum, but I just have a rather strong dislike for lack of cohesion of bass and lower midrange, and would even sacrifice treble for it. So in terms of an M1 replacement... still searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back