Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #976 of 1,768
I agree, actually I think anyone who uses a pair of these or the Z7/Z5 need to use them long enough to stop craving boosted upper mids and treble. In strict A/B testing a lot of headphones will sound more exciting or detailed especially when your used to that presentation But once you get used to this type of treble you realize it's not lacking its just not shouting "he look at me!!!" all the time.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #977 of 1,768
Btw I have read that the Nighthawk has a similar issue with treble where you need to spend a couple of weeks with them versus A/B testing.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #978 of 1,768
Looking at the price of the P5 and it is $110CAD more than the 100AAP so that is quite the increase in cost.

The 100AAP is a great headphone for comfortable listening. There are definitely better choices for detailed listening or more engaging listening. But I personally find myself prefering the fatigue free sessions I get with all my Sony headphones over the other choices out there.

Yeah I have noticed that, glad I got mine when I did.   Sony being a much bigger company importing alot more product can import directly into Canada vs Bowers -Wikins  and others importing into the US first then moving on to Canada. Sony products prices are less sensitive to current drop in the Canadian dollar not to mention lower transportation costs.

It will be interesting to see what kind of deals will be out there for Black Friday.  A number of retailers are starting their Friday deals today.  Not that I am in the market for anything in particular I am a bit of a sucker for a good deal

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #979 of 1,768
Being somewhat older I am to money conscious to have extra pairs of headphones lying around.  When I want to upgrade I sell the ones I have to help fund new ones.  So I like to have one pair I can use for both home and portable use.  Then I can afford to spend more on one good pair of headphones and instead of needing both a home and portable headphone and having less to spend on each

It is hard enough for me to find one good pair that fits my head and ears comfortably let alone two or more.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #982 of 1,768
Can somebody tell me if these are less warm compared to NAD VISO HP50? They sound like they're warmer than ATH-MSR7?

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #984 of 1,768
Being somewhat older I am to money conscious to have extra pairs of headphones lying around.  When I want to upgrade I sell the ones I have to help fund new ones.  So I like to have one pair I can use for both home and portable use.  Then I can afford to spend more on one good pair of headphones and instead of needing both a home and portable headphone and having less to spend on each

It is hard enough for me to find one good pair that fits my head and ears comfortably let alone two or more.
I hear you, I have owned a ton of gear over the years but only because I sell them when they are not right for me. Otherwise I would never be able to afford everything I have owned. (That and the occasional gear I receive to review).

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #986 of 1,768
I owned the HP50 and as for warmth I think they are similar to the HP50. But I am going from memory so if anyone owns both they will be able to give a more definitive answer.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #987 of 1,768
  Are these any better base wise than the MDR1A and/or MDR10RC ?

Less quantity, and not nearly as much bloat especially in the mid-bass, while tighter and just as capable of nice visceral punch.  So unless you really want to max-out the bass QUANTITY without quite going all the way to basshead levels, then yeah, the 100AAP have much better bass than the 1A.

Not sure about the 10RC though.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #988 of 1,768
I owned the HP50 and as for warmth I think they are similar to the HP50. But I am going from memory so if anyone owns both they will be able to give a more definitive answer.
I'm sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself but sifting through this thread is hard work. From memory, how would you compare the two in more detail?

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #989 of 1,768

Less quantity, and not nearly as much bloat especially in the mid-bass, while tighter and just as capable of nice visceral punch.  So unless you really want to max-out the bass QUANTITY without quite going all the way to basshead levels, then yeah, the 100AAP have much better bass than the 1A.

Not sure about the 10RC though.

I need a lot of base.. I normally use equalizer to put up base to 70 %, mids go to 25 % and treble to 40 %.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back