Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #423 of 1,768
  Can 100AAP use aftermarket cables?

MDR-1A cables work fine with it and there are a bunch of MDR-1A replacement cables out

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #426 of 1,768
  I wonder how would they work with games, movies, rock, edm and rap music? 

You know, good idea.

Did you know you can plug in a USB DAC like the PHA-1 directly into the PS4 to bypass the internal chips? Yup.
The DS4 just isn't upto scratch to drive my Z7's, it can drive these but why not use my DAC I am right next to the PS4.

I find the bass is so good it gives edm, well in my case Pendulum great toneality in the low end, some other headphones can sound monotone almost. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #428 of 1,768
Oh Lord, can this thing drop some bass.

You know what. There was a time when I knew nothing about all the cool equipment we discuss here. All I had was a portable Sony CD player, and a pair of cheap over-the-ear headphones I could probably not tolerate for 10 seconds today. But back then, I could enjoy music for what it was.

These Sonys bring me back there. To a time when it wasn't about tonality, presentation, warmth, PRAT or what have you. There's the music. There's this cohesiveness to it, that I can just listen and enjoy. Nothing really stands out, but nothing feels out of place either.

Initially, I'll admit, I thought that while good, this Sony wasn't that much better than my JVC HA-S400 - which is not my reference headphone, but it's my go-to portable for lightness, sensitivity and overall good sound. Then today I did some A/Bing and boy, was I wrong. The Sony really is 120 Euro better, make no mistake.

At higher volumes, the Sony's bass will kick you in the eardrums, hard. It's not boomy, it's not visceral, but it's... THERE. Bouncy, lively, with the right amount of decay. Listen to Queen's We Will Rock You: there's air moving there, there's the rumble this song is known for. But you have to turn the volume up for that.

And while we're on volume: this Sony is hungry. A big problem I have in judging it is that the volume control on my European iPod Touch sucks balls. It's much less loud than an American model, and due to this, there's much less room for fine volume adjustments. I have no problem modulating the volume with the much more sensitive JVC, but the Sony requires more power. So I'm constantly struggling between "I'd like it a little louder here" and "whoa, too loud, can't keep this up for long but DAMN it sounds good!".

The same reason makes it difficult for me to judge vocals. The Sony seems to render vocals JUST that little below my preference, but then I tried some songs from Apple Music and whoa! Just like I want it.

I should try some other source to pass some definitive judgement, but actually I feel I have enough evidence to say that your money is well spent here. This Sony can is light, fits like a glove, isolates very well, and sounds GOOD. I've tried V-Moda M-100, guys. If you have an itch for that, don't pull the trigger. Seriously. This Sony is so much better, for so much less money. This is not the end-all and be-all of portables, but it's the safest bet I've listened to in a while. Buy with confidence.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #429 of 1,768
Seriously why can't i find any comparisons with the Bose Soundtrue around ear. These 2 headphones are almost identical to each other and they both target the same audien. They are both lightweight, have a balanced sound, color choises, detachable cable, foldable(in another way), around ear...

And they cost exactly the same, really sony must have focused on the price of the Bose can's. 

The mdr-100aap costs €180 and you can get a cashback of €20. The Bose can be found for around €160. 

I have such a hard time choosing.

I would like to hear your opinions about the choice.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #430 of 1,768
I would like to hear your opinions about the choice.

I'm not saying 'hype' but I'd go with the SONY's any day of the week and then some. They are truly special little cans.

Oh Lord, can this thing drop some bass.

---

At higher volumes, the Sony's bass will kick you in the eardrums, hard. It's not boomy, it's not visceral, but it's... THERE. Bouncy, lively, with the right amount of decay. Listen to Queen's We Will Rock You: there's air moving there, there's the rumble this song is known for. But you have to turn the volume up for that.

This is exactly the same experience you get in the even more expensive Z7. If the track has bass, you will hear it, if the track does not the sound is pure and clean.
With the bass, boy does it have power, the air pressure inside the can can easily be felt. Considering the tiny bass port on that top that is usually shielded this is magic.

I think you need to dump the iPod, buy a SONY Walkman NWZ-A25 and jump into playing some CD quality .flac files.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #431 of 1,768
Amother maybe close competitor for these is due out later this month

the Jays U-Jays

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #432 of 1,768
I know IEM's are totally different than Full Size phones, but would any of you owners be able to say what kind of sound that would be similar to a certain IEM?

it would help if you can choose from Vsonic GR07 BE, Fidue A73, A83, Dunu DN1000, JVC FX850, as those are the only ones I have or tried.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #435 of 1,768

Users who are viewing this thread

Back