Sony EX90 Modding thread!
Aug 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #151 of 166
What does the asian characters and then a date on the back of the boxes of "E" models?

EX85-was geniune in a Sony box, with a silver seal at the top corner

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #152 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgang_fener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Difference number 1 : Impedance is not the same. Measured using a Fluke 73 multimeter (I'm an electronic engineering technician), The Fake measure about 33 Ohm and the original measure 17 Ohm (this is a DC measurement, hence the small difference with Sony's spec of 16 Ohm at 1KHz).

Now who got a fake ? :wink:

Me!! I got my meter from work and they measured at 29 ohms. Good test as most other parameters were very close to the original.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #153 of 166
Mine are (were, they just got stolen on holiday) the ones with the smaller tube at the end with black writing on it. They had milled metal housings and I checked the impedance - 17ohms exactly.

Apperance is almost a completely useless test of authenticity unless you scritinize them heavily.

Now I need to get some new phones. I don't want something that goes deep in the ear, but I want something with better, punchier and deeper bass than my modded EX90's.

They are fantastic if the low frequency end is uncluttered. But if you have music, like I do, with sub-bass + kick drums + bass guitar, they just can't cope. It turns to muddy, confused bass rapidly. Which is a shame because I love the fit and the fact that they rest just inside the canal, and that they don't isolate everything. Also, the mod closes the soundstage quite a bit. They're probably a bit too airy without the mod, but they sound very close post-mod, they don't breathe.

Maybe Denon C-700 would be good for me? Any suggestions welcome. I'm going to buy another D2 (yeah, stolen) and I don't use amps.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #154 of 166
GET THE EX-85 MODDED!!! DIFFERENT FROM eX-90:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...x-85-a-360261/

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I need to get some new phones. I don't want something that goes deep in the ear, but I want something with better, punchier and deeper bass than my modded EX90's.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #155 of 166
i wanna try some olive tips on my ex85.. Will they fit? And where do i buy them from? I dont want more than 2 pairs though.. Wanna try them first and see if i like them before i buy more..

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #156 of 166
I'm so glad I found this thread. I was thinking of buying a new pair of headphones to replace my EX85's, but modding them was like buying a new pair of headphones anyway. I tried the cling wrap mod first, and then when I found out I loved the improvement I used silicon to block the ports as some people in this thread have tried.

To anyone else who wants to try it, I found that the best way to open up a hole (since the silicon basically coats/soaks the material in the ports meaning that even scraping away some of the silicon doesn't open them up) is to stick the pin right through, until it goes through even the material in the ports.

The improvement in the bass isn't just like simply turning up the Bass in the EQ - the EX85's maintained their sound signature in the treble/mids but the bass became much more punchy and cohesive. It doesn't "create" bass where there was none before, but instead really improves the definition of the bass it produces.

I'm now keen to try out different foam tips, or some of the mods involving the foam inside the canals. I'm confused though - some of these posts lead me to believe there actually isn't any foam in the canals to remove in the EX85's, unlike the 90's?

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #157 of 166
Hmm... this thread was resurrection, but I may have to try this for myself.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #158 of 166
Do you guys think my EX90 might be a fake? I'm pretty sure I bought them directly through amazon.com. I have to pump the volume ALL the way up, and even then, it's not enough. Also, I feel like the sound is louder on the left side than the right. And when plugging them into the headphone out of my laptop, things are even worse. The sound is barely audible. Even using itunes's volume increaser preset the sound to average volume
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #159 of 166
I have just got a pair of EX300's which in my opinion sound better than the EX85 unmodded but sound a lot worse than modded EX85's. The EX300's just dont have the punch nor full sound the EX85/90's do.

Ive tried modding the EX300 yet no joy at the moment - I will do a propper thread once I work out how to get more out of the EX300's. Those looking for the EX300/500 as an upgrade stick with the EX85/90's for now.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #160 of 166
I just tried this today w/my EX85's, and it's not too bad. I just put earbud foam over the main section w/the airvents, then poked 6 additional holes in the sectoion where you would place the iem's silicon tip. It does open the sound up, but I changed the silicon tips awhile back, so the isolation was better than w/the stock 1's.

Now, I may look for a triple flange tip for an even better seal - so thanks for the mod!!!

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #161 of 166
To get the best seal with EX buds dont push them too far in... they should not go any ferther in than sticking your ring finger in your ear. Triple flanges reduce the air space in your ears resulting poorer sound quality in my opinion. Thats why I like EX buds as they dont go too far in yet seal well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #162 of 166
I'm just making sure I'm understanding the mod. So, is the mod basically just covering the part of the bud with the slits(Vents)with cling film? Or is there more to the mod than that? Can someone provide a better picture than the one on the first page of what the mod should look like?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #164 of 166
Has anyone else tried putting the Shure Olives on the EX90? I actually have the 85LP and find it seemingly impossible to stretch the olives to on the 85lp, unless the ex90 is actually smaller.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #165 of 166
I just picked up a set of NC33s and have been following this thread... not sure if they share the same driver or not, but I too removed the was filter and have found astounishing results.

Along with that, w/ comply t400s I even gained more isolation... but nothing I can do about the porting as its unfortunately sealed w/ a mic on each end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back