Sony, EX1000........ Photo's of the new flagship IEM!
Nov 7, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 61
errr, guys, re: will ex1000 be similar to EX700...

There's a graph of the FR measurements for ex700 on the same page as the EX1000 http://sonove.angry.jp/MDR_EX1000/FR_MDR_EX700.gif 

http://sonove.angry.jp/MDR_EX1000/FR_MDR_EX1000.gif

Wish he made one with the two on graph, but from what I can see - if you found EX700 too bright, same will quite likely go for ex1000.

By the looks of it - similar basic FR shape: prominent mids, the odd 2 peaks/trough on 5-7khz (ex1000 has even more prominent mids (less of a dip, later dip 4khish), and relatively less prominent highs compared to mids). However, the ex1000 mids and highs peaks look even higher... 

not too sure why his bass measurements are like that...maybe not a proper seal/better seal for different tips on ER-4p? 

why is http://www.sony-asia.com/product/mdr-ex1000 showing a pic with a straight and then rh plug? (sl|lp variants or both long and short cables in the pack?) (same plug as ex700 btw. The enamel on 2 of my EX700 incl the plug started to flake
biggrin.gif
 - it's a sony) http://www.sony-asia.com/product/CompareProducts.action?site=hp_en_AP_i&models=MDR-Z1000&models=MDR-ZX700&models=MDR-EX1000&models=MDR-EX600 wooo, look, you do get 2 cables for both 600 and 1000

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #33 of 61
Errr, got a review of this ex1000 on a Chinese audio forum. Google translator is quite effective
tongue.gif
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andaudio.com%2Fphpbb3%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D25%26t%3D86311

According to this, ex1000 is better than fx700 :-s

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #34 of 61
Thanks. Still...EX1000 is 2x+ the price. and in the 2x price range - different competition - not JVC fx700.

almost forgot. Pretty sure my mdr-ex700 had 3 month limited warranty, and most hi-end IEMs would have 1y+ if I'm not mistaken. 
Something tells me EX1000 is unlikely to have any more warranty time. (or better build quality/cable seath quality - e.g. my 2xEX700: driver shell ungluing itself in a year, or plug/driver enamel flaking within 4 months/or cable taking up sweat and swelling up after about a year)

or ex500 - strain reliever near the driver snapping.

Sony will flatly refuse any warranty claims past 90 days (or sometimes if bought in another country(e.g. ex500 - got in germany, no wty in Australia),while small IEM cos might actually fix it it's their fault/crappy materials.
Quote:
Errr, got a review of this ex1000 on a Chinese audio forum. Google translator is quite effective
tongue.gif
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andaudio.com%2Fphpbb3%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D25%26t%3D86311

According to this, ex1000 is better than fx700 :-s

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #35 of 61
^ Thanks for the link. If this one has more prominent treble than the JVC FX700 I expect sibliance like on their EX700.

Btw I just came across this picture on Audiocubes. The first time I see a manufacturer use foam stuffed silicon tips - I bet they got the idea from the Head-Fi forum.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #37 of 61
those foam stuff tips look interesting
smily_headphones1.gif
hybrids not so much as i already have those

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #38 of 61
Quote:
errr, guys, re: will ex1000 be similar to EX700...

The blogger you quoted seems to vastly favor the EX1000 over the EX700 though he did comment about the 5-6kHz spike being its main weakness.

Quote:
oooh want a set of those tips

I'll second that!  The foam-stuffed hybrids are also supposed to come with the cheaper EX310 and 510 so if Sony's smart they'll make them readily available.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #40 of 61
As an ex700 owner I would be vary scared by that freq response graph.  This will probably turn out to be another headphone that is only tolerable with an equaliser applied, and even then sounds sibliant and harsh in the treble.

I cant believe they are still using metal housing and putting out unbearable sibilant headphones.  The treble might be good, but if you have to eq. off 8 decibels then who cares - you wont be able to hear it!

Why dont they just use plastic?  Oh for the sake of common sense.  Just when I was getting back into my ex700's after buying a pair of SM3's. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #41 of 61
As an ex700 owner I would be vary scared by that freq response graph.  This will probably turn out to be another headphone that is only tolerable with an equaliser applied, and even then sounds sibliant and harsh in the treble.

I cant believe they are still using metal housing and putting out unbearable sibilant headphones.  The treble might be good, but if you have to eq. off 8 decibels then who cares - you wont be able to hear it!

Why dont they just use plastic?  Oh for the sake of common sense.  Just when I was getting back into my ex700's after buying a pair of SM3's. 

I wasn't bored enough to do it before (couldn't be bothered installing paint-shop pro to use magic want to select the graphs and superimpose them...still can't be bother.... just blended the two using an online tool)...
For easier comparison. purpleish + red = ex1000, cyan + pink = ex700

just...wow...

>Why dont they just use plastic? Oh for the sake of common sense. Just when I was getting back into my ex700's after buying a pair of SM3's.

rigid metal alloy won't make it sound simblant. strange tuning will though.

Interesting point about SM3 having a plastic shell. along with most IEMs.. exotic marketing from sony...

about SM3 - never had the urge to switch back to my EX700 that I still carry in the bag :D... SM3 manages to have just enough highs to be pleasant but not simblant...

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #42 of 61
I prefer metal.

Metal is an attractive feature to me for it's strength, looks and unique sound qualities, there are brass, copper and aluminium IEM's where the material is intentionally used to achieve the desired sound signature, in this case I don't know if the magnesium alloy affects the sound signature or if Sony only chose it for it's light weight and strength, though I am curious to find out. =)

Plastic to me is a shortcut, cheaper production cost and easier to implement, naturally plastic does not carry any favourable sound qualities like brass or wood, think voovoozela versus saxophone.

As an example, even though the Yuin OK1 is highly praised for it's sound, since it's plastic I feel Yuin haven't put in enough effort, surely plastic is not the ideal material for the sound signature they were looking for, and it's weak and flimsy and unattractive, so I will not shell out $220 for something like that.  If they were bronze?  Hell yeah.

As for the FR on the EX1000.

Clarity, definition and edge are in the same frequency realm as sibilance and harshness.  I'm sure Sony had the former in mind and the spikes are intentional.

Perhaps they couldn't get the formula quite right in their EX700 and this is an extension of that sonic project, I have not heard the EX700 or this one, but I do favour definition and edge so I am quite interested in these IEM's, I'm sure they'll sound nice with violins.

For those scared of the FR graphs, perhaps the EX800 is more to your liking, which I'm assuming has a dead-flat FR like their studio headphones.  If anyone does pick up a pair of the EX800 at some point, please let me know if it sounds like a dynamic-driver, acoustic sounding CK10, because that is really what I'm after at the moment. =)

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #45 of 61
Yes, plastic is inferior in it's acoustic properties. Of course for the SM3 it doesn't matter cause it's BA. 

ooops... as in drivers are sealed anyway and outputs sound only through the nozzle? damn, forgot...

>Plastic to me is a shortcut, cheaper production cost and easier to implement, naturally plastic does not carry any favourable sound qualities like brass or wood, think voovoozela versus saxophone.

I really don't buy that unless it was sarcasm. Nothing wrong with ABS plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back