Sony, EX1000........ Photo's of the new flagship IEM!
Nov 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #46 of 61
     Quote:
Quote:
Yes, plastic is inferior in it's acoustic properties. Of course for the SM3 it doesn't matter cause it's BA. 

ooops... as in drivers are sealed anyway and outputs sound only through the nozzle? damn, forgot...

>Plastic to me is a shortcut, cheaper production cost and easier to implement, naturally plastic does not carry any favourable sound qualities like brass or wood, think voovoozela versus saxophone.

I really don't buy that unless it was sarcasm. Nothing wrong with ABS plastic

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:
As an ex700 owner I would be vary scared by that freq response graph.  This will probably turn out to be another headphone that is only tolerable with an equaliser applied, and even then sounds sibliant and harsh in the treble.

I cant believe they are still using metal housing and putting out unbearable sibilant headphones.  The treble might be good, but if you have to eq. off 8 decibels then who cares - you wont be able to hear it!

Lol what.  Yes ok sonic prefference varies, but 6khz spike sounds alright to a lot of ppl, otherwise they wouldn't implement it  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-121-iems-compared-hifiman-re262-added-11-25/1305#post_7081805

Quote:
I wasn't bored enough to do it before (couldn't be bothered installing paint-shop pro to use magic want to select the graphs and superimpose them...still can't be bother.... just blended the two using an online tool)...

Fixed 

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #48 of 61

i find it amusing that jvc provided a diagram of the 'here's how all the layers look' that sony included for ages on its boxes :D that aside, I really don't see what a picture of FX700 has to do with anything? Yes, it's wooden, who cares. (no, wait, there's a copper or is it brass sub-body before that, lol ...so it's not even really a wooden earphone. Must find people who praise it for warm wood sound and lol at them.)

Cheers. All 3 on 1 diag is maybe a bit too busy (er4i)
also, what's the bottom grey line o.O?

p.s. wrt to bal armature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzFhlpKIvM

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #49 of 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i find it amusing that jvc provided a diagram of the 'here's how all the layers look' that sony included for ages on its boxes
biggrin.gif
that aside, I really don't see what a picture of FX700 has to do with anything? Yes, it's wooden, who cares. (no, wait, there's a copper or is it brass sub-body before that, lol ...so it's not even really a wooden earphone. Must find people who praise it for warm wood sound and lol at them.)

I think it's better to Lol at the ATH ESW9 and ESW10 that employ some african xylophone instrument wood with sheepskin pads and the other model has "the finest cherry-tree blossom wood from hokkaido".

In the FX700 I'm sure brass affects the sound just like in the Final Audio FI-BA-A1 versus the FI-BA-SB (aluminium vs brass, same driver).  I haven't heard the FX500/700 or the FI-BA-SB though so I perhaps I should be quiet. =p I don't think I'll hear the FX700 either, as cool as they seem, the shape isn't quite a fashion statement.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #50 of 61

Quote:

I just stole the picture from Sonove, he is obsessed with ER-4P and has to include it with every FR picture.

I think the lower grey line is phase distortion measured in the ex1k.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #51 of 61

Quote:

I just stole the picture from Sonove, he is obsessed with ER-4P and has to include it with every FR picture.

I think the lower grey line is phase distortion measured in the ex1k.

i think it might just measure phase@a particular freq... (scale on the rhs of the org graph and goes from -180 to 180 deg)
p.s. cutting off the scale wasn't a good idea.

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #53 of 61

Quote:

wow What @ 2:15.  I did not know that's how armatures work.  Now your comment about CK10 makes perfect sense, the housing could be marshmellow

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #54 of 61

Quote:

wow What @ 2:15.  I did not know that's how armatures work.  Now your comment about CK10 makes perfect sense, the housing could be marshmellow

pretty much. say it right: warm (mellow), organic sound :D
except you still might want to hold it all in place somehow. don't want it bobbling.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #55 of 61
To be honest i don't care if a housing is made of cheeze if it sounds good.  The ex700 is even painted, so maybe it is made of cheeze?

You shouldn't have to EQ an earphone for it to sound good, and if metal is the culprit, for whatever design or packaging reasons, then for the love of god don't use it.

Look at Radius twf11r, it uses plastic, and probably sounds better than the ex700 with or without an EQ.

I honestly don't think any musician will use an earphone for monitoring that is as sibilant as sony monitors, unless they are deaf from touring too much.  I bet there aren't any that use them.

Its just marketing, musicians use customs, and you cant custom mold Sony ex1000.  Its all marketing bull****.

I wont buy them because I dont like using EQ - by the time you correct the sibilance, you lose most of the upper mids/lower treble with the average 5 band EQ.

Shame because the earphones have so much potential.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #56 of 61

Quote:

I honestly don't think any musician will use an earphone for monitoring that is as sibilant as sony monitors, unless they are deaf from touring too much.  I bet there aren't any that use them.

I think they have some EXmonitor qualities, because I haven't tweaked my eq very much, I think they sound very good with my baroque music as they are.

They are the antithesis of my ck10's though, which could have justifyingly been labeled as monitoring IEM's, with their flat FR and high detail retrieval.

Sony is usually more about enjoyment, they make the music sound lush, rich, warm, poppy, bassy, natural and such, and they are very good at it in my experience with them, which is why I'm a returning customer.  Of course they have their marketing flaws on the side, like samsung making their TV's, and selling crap PCDP's these days which I think is a shame.

Anyway I still think we should keep an eye out for the EX800ST (a real studio monitor IEM? I vote not, but let's see =)) and the EX600, I still have a feeling that this is the "made in Thailand" version of the EX1000, same sound different pricetag!  Stories to this effect have happened several times in the past with Sony products like the Qualia EXQ1 IEM's, there was a version hand-made in Japan with a few hundred units that sold out in a summer, and then they just started producing them in China at lower quality/cost.

If Sony have perfected a new driver, it doesn't always have to be expensive, my MDR-E888's are still my most natural sounding earphones with that bio-cellulose technology, and I bought a legit pair from a Sony Store for only $46.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #57 of 61
ex600 looks promising.  Im looking forward to hearing impressions of it.  An ex700 without sibilance would be awesome.

Classical music and opera probably wouldn't show the sibilance of the ex700/800/1000 as much as rock, jazz, pop.  But to me ex700 doesn't have much soundstage.  Does sound very smooth though.

Marketing material claims new Sony models have better soundstage.  This would be welcome, and create excellent classical earphones.

But I might be better off saving all my money for jh13, which are no doubt flawless, if double the price - especially for rock, jazz etc where sibilance really scares me.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #58 of 61

Quote:
But I might be better off saving all my money for jh13, which are no doubt flawless, if double the price - especially for rock, jazz etc where sibilance really scares me.

EX1000 turned out to be a really good IEM that puts out music with the quality of $350-ish.

Easier to say, while I enjoyed testing them a lot, you really are better off saving for the JH13 instead. They don't give out platinum gold quality out of their drivers, no matter what the price says.
rolleyes.gif

On a side note: Hoping to be able to make the EX600 vs. EX1000 comparison by Wednesday.
redface.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #59 of 61
Anyone notice that the EX800ST is now in stock at places like Audiocubes? It actually seems somewhat reasonably priced compared to the EX1000... I'm fairly curious, and I'm enquiring if Accessoryjack will be making this model available =] (always had a good experience with them)

Anyone get any impressions of the EX800 yet?

The small amount of Kakaku reviews seem quite positive...
http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000160964/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back