Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Nov 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #91 of 234
Quote:
FWIW, I've had the DT48E, Monitor 10, K340, and the DR-Z6 is the only one that gets much head time, and most are sold.

I have found my to go headphone in the K500 mostly. The Monitor 10 remains a keeper just like the K240DF. 

If the Z6 is no option so be it. I can live with what I have now...

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #95 of 234
Quote:
Very much like the DR-Z6, maybe slightly less refined. Full, rich sound with somewhat recessed upper mids/treble, smallish soundstage. Organic.

Recessed upper mids? If anything I would say the total opposite in that they are aggressively detailed and polarizing. They have a touch of warmth to them but I don't think the upper mids are rounded.

Nice pic, now all you need is a Z7 
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #99 of 234
Hello Boyz and Girlz, so I have 2 pair of Sony DR-Z7 Headphones from 1978, what I need are new cables for them, can anyone recommend a dedicated supplier of headphone cables that isn't going to break the bank.
The existing Litz wire is showing it's age and needs to be replaced, the plug is a standard Quarter inch Stereo Jack plug, although a Stereo 3.5mm and preferably a screw on adapter will be fine, cable length is not important.
I'm in England but ordering from around the world is not a problem.

Specifications for Sony DR-Z7 Headphones.

Type -                                                   Supra-Aural Dynamic Stereo Headphones
Units-                                                   53mm Dia Dome
Impedance                                         110 Ohms @1kHz
Sensitivity                                            104 dB/mW
Power Rated                                       50 mW
Power Handling Capacity                300mW
Frequency Response                       20 to 25,000Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion                0.1% or less for 120dB SPL (1kHz)
                                                              1% or less for 120dB SPL (100Hz to 10kHz)
                                                              0.03% or less for 90dB SPL (100Hz to 10Khz)
                                                              0.1% or less for 90dB SPL (100Hz  to 10kHz)
Cord                                                     2Mtrs Litz Wire
Weight                                                 without cord approx 340g (12oz)
                                                              with cord approx 420g (14.8oz)

Figures for the Sony DR-Z6 Headphones are as follows, all other specifications are as Sony DR-Z7

Total Harmonic Distortion               0.1% or less for 120dB SPL (1 kHz)
                                                             0.03% or less for 90dB SPL (1kHz)
Weight                                                Without cord 320g (11.3oz)
                                                             With cord 400g (14.1oz)
Cord                                                    2Mtrs Litz Wire

Specifications are quoted from the Sony DR-Z6 / DR-Z7 Operating Manual, Copyright 1978 by Sony Corporation.

Many thanks.
Intrakota.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #100 of 234
Hi,

Back in the 80s my uncle owned a company that designed and built trade show displays, and when I was in NY in grad school I worked with him, assisting in projects, some visuals, etc.

One of his clients was Sony so he was able to buy gear for himself at a special discount, so he purchased what was then a very elite line of gear, one of the best TVs made, it had the CRT tube system separate from the electronics, power supply, etc.. and very high definition at the time. I think it was several grand. Limited edition, the set tended to pop up in the homes featured in Architectural Digest. I do remember a Sony seminar I attended on it, and the White Paper that introduced the technology, much of which became standard in years to come. I always thought he was the only home in Brooklyn to not only know about the unit, but to own one! Sony was very proud of their work which really was at the forefront of the industry, and the headphones were meant to match the advances in the set. I believe it was part of the "Pro Feel" component TV line, but his unit was an even more limited version if memory serves me correctly. It was the best TV I'd ever seen, and I used to visit my cousin who worked at CBS with these incredibly expensive, calibrated systems, and my uncle's system was better. I know there are still folks using them!

When he purchased the TV, one it shipped with what we were told were a special, not easily available set of limited edition headphones, and in our case it was the Sony DR-Z6. it might have been a free premium, because he wasn't into headphones, so not sure that he would have paid extra for them, or they might have been a gift from the Sony execs we worked with. Because I was sharing a loft in the city and headphones would allow me to listen to CDs (yup, the early Magnavox, actually Phillips, fantastic unit that around $150, which I still have and modified the jacks and internal op-amps... great tweak!) he gave me the headphones which I have and take good care of. Part of the TV unit's design was audiophile grade audio, with jacks to supply your stereo. If memory serves me right, the TV didn't have speakers, so needed outside audio. I think they had a matching system, but not sure. So, the headphones were sort of matched to the system, and meant to demonstrate just how good the audio was. 

So, to answer your question, a) they are rare, b) they are kinda heavy, c) they are quite good.

I was looking for a cable and found my pair a few minutes ago, so will crank em up and listen. I'm curious to see how they compare to the headphones I review now. My recollection is that they were very accurate, flat, but somehow not exciting. But, I've always found Sony headphones to feel that way. At least the good ones are great, solid, studio mastering phones, but for music, it always felt something.. not sure what... was missing.

(Since I first wrote this post, I've been listening to them and they are really good! Wow.. funny how time and memory shift things. Nice aural space, instruments are well defined, and they don't feel that heavy. And best of all, the bass is very clean, and subtle. Wow.. 30 years old, and able to compete with brand new supposedly higher tech units!)

This was the Sony of the almost hand-built CD decks time, when their high-end products really were high-end products, with a great deal of pride from the engineers. Because my uncle's company designed the CES exhibits, we had the chance to meet with the engineers, etc. Since my uncle's job wasn't to understand the technology, the engineers loved the opportunity to show off to a young budding audiophile (me!) so found their work fascinating. At the time I had Koss 4As, and Senheisers, etc.. but had never really talked with the guys who made them. You can find speaker engineers on every street corner, but headphone folks tend to be a bit more hidden! So, I found it quite cool, and was thrilled when my uncle George gave me the phones.

Not sure if any of this helps, but it is my history with them.

Curious to hear other's impressions of the DR-Z6.

Harris

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #101 of 234
Quote:
So, to answer your question, a) they are rare, b) they are kinda heavy, c) they are quite good.

(Since I first wrote this post, I've been listening to them and they are really good! Wow.. funny how time and memory shift things. Nice aural space, instruments are well defined, and they don't feel that heavy. And best of all, the bass is very clean, and subtle. Wow.. 30 years old, and able to compete with brand new supposedly higher tech units!)

Harris

Hi Harris, welcome to head-fi!

I sparingly listen to my Z6 in fear of damaging something that can't be replaced, I bring them out to show friends and to reference any new headphone I acquire. To this day I would still consider them one of, if not the best headphone I've heard. They don't have a massive soundstage presence, they don't put you in the audience at a concert; you know you're listening to a headphone, no illusions, but so very well done. Instrument separation and above all accuracy is what these phones are all about. I'm a big fan of detailed headphones like the Sony SA's, DT48 and HD800 but even they cannot match the speed of these. They are very power hungry, more so than my 600Ohm DT880s, so an OTL tube amp is a must.

Very unique.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #105 of 234
Speed = cold/clinical... most of the time.

Well I'm not sure what answer you're looking for but generally speed is part of the ADSR envelope; attack, decay, sustain, release. An easier way of explaining it would be to look at a polar opposite like a HD650. While many consider them veiled for their lack of speed those that enjoy them will use words like warm, rich and relaxing. You could consider this slow. Fast would be less relaxing however much more engaging, end-of-your-seat listening.

One of my very first 'audiophile' phones was the Sony SA3000 and to this day I use it to benchmark other headphones. Very neutral across the board but you hear every nuance without coloration. The Z6 are a little different in that they have the speed attributes but are a little warmer than neutral. If I had to pick a genre they excel with it would be acoustic, so raw, seemingly nothing between you, the listener, and the timbre of the instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back