Sony DR-5A vintage headphones
Jul 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
Got the Sony DR 5A headphones off ebay for £25. They are boxed and in mint condition, with only a slight crease in one of the pads which may come out with me wearing it.

They feel like I am wearing my AKG K702s with the huge pads. The headband is plastic over metal, but is surprisingly comfortable. Sound wise, well initial impressions are like the other 1970s headphones I have with a forward bright midrange. There is very good soundstage and a real sense of stereo listening.

They leak sound, but isolate me well from outside sound.

Overall, I am very pleased with this addition to my collection.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 20
They certainly sound better than the DR-4C, far more open and detailed and to give a modern equivalent, they are on a par with the AKG K702s. As for the others, equal but different. I have not really had any of them for long enough to decide if I have a favourite or not.

The other issue I have noticed is that they are very sensitive. (They are 8 ohms, don't know about the SPL) I have my volume control at 8 o'clock, the lowest of any headphone I have, to get good volume out of them.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm really liking those headphones, they look comfy.

And £25 headphones that match K702's? Sounds like a jackpot to me (if you like the AKG's).

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Prog rock man...are you a vintage headphones collectionist? I have seen your previous posts on vintage stuff. 

Yes, four pairs now.

Quote:
Very cool. Let us know how they sound further after you have had some more time with them.

Will do.

Quote:
I guess they are new....they seem in perfect conditions...and solid built cans. 

They smell a bit musty as if they have lived in a loft. Other than that I gave them a dust and even the plastic is shiny like new.

Quote:
Prog Rock Man, do you buy any vintage headphones you see that take your fancy, or are you particularly interested in certain models?

No I have a wish list now. There is a super thread on the forum post pictures of your vintage headphones and I got the bug from that.

Quote:
I'm really liking those headphones, they look comfy.

And £25 headphones that match K702's? Sounds like a jackpot to me (if you like the AKG's).

The size, fit and emphasis on midrange with a bass that is not deep enough for some certainly makes them an alternative. The K702s are more detailed, do better bass and are less shrill.

Quote:
I may be checking Ebay more often to make my vintage collection. I love these headphones! 

I love trawling through ebay looking at what is for sale. My ultimate are the three Bang and Olufsen headphones, the U70, Form 1 and 2. But I decided to wait till I have the money and get the rare boxed and very good condition ones. They go for £80 to £150. If you stick to Japanese makes you can find boxed ones from £10 to £50. I do not know why, but vintage AKGs and Koss never seem to have their boxes.

I looked for a couple of months and then these and my Panasonic EAH 500s can up within a day of each other. It is just your luck, but worth the wait.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 20
Interesting, I think I will skip the Sony DR 5A. The Yamaha HP1 just made my day. 

If you count the AKG K240 DF as vintage I have five vintage headphones. It is too bad good information on the previous generations of headphones is so scarce. 

Prog Rock Man, congratulations with the Sony... 

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 20
i got a pair in near perfect condition last week and have decided these are really cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back