Sony D-ej1000 or Panasonic sl-ct790?
May 1, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 32
An update on both Sony D-EJ1000 and Panasonic SL-CT790:

Both models have started arriving in U.S. retailers early in April 2002. I bought a D-EJ1000 (the only difference being that the U.S. market version comes with the muff-type MDR-027SP headphones, versus the MDR-E808SP supplied with versions targeted for other countries) - but the SL-CT790 had been castrated for the North American market!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Though the remote for the SL-CT790 is the same cool-looking LCD-display affair as the Asian and European editions, the U.S. and Canadian versions of the SL-CT790 have the headphone-out as their only audio-out - no line-out or optical-out!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

May 1, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
If you are lucky like me.....try to locate the D777 or D-E905 will be your best bet.
I second vertigo!!!

technics xps-900 sounds much better than d777.we can compare it with sony d555

May 25, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 32
And another thing about the anti-skip circuitry of the North American-market Panasonic SL-CT790:

Only the 48-second compressed anti-skip is available!
mad.gif
Because there is no line-out at all whatsoever, and the compression can't be turned off at all whatsoever, you're stuck with the crappy-sounding compression if you buy the SL-CT790 (or ANY other current-model Panasonic PCDP) in the U.S.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 32
Here's another update on the Sony D-EJ1000 and the Panasonic SL-CT790:

After three months of moderate use, my Sony D-EJ1000 is still going strong. However, I am now resorting to using my Headroom Total Airhead amp with any headphones used with the player. The headphone out is certainly crappy; it clips above half-volume with low-impedance earbuds but is satisfactorily loud with the 60-ohm Kosses that I also use with the player. And you don't have to leave behind the remote when you use a dedicated portable headphone amp with it; the remote will still function even if there are no headphones whatsoever plugged into it (the only remote function that won't work through the line-out jack is the MegaCrappoBass bass-booster).

Though the Asian and European versions of the Panasonic SL-CT790 share the same level of amped convenience with my Sony D-EJ1000, the versions of the Panasonic SL-CT790 sold in North America are much less convenient to use with an amp -- there's no line out or optical out on the U.S./Canadian CT790, forcing you to use the headphone out. And since the Panasonic CT790 requires the remote to even use the display or access advanced functions (such as bass-boost or random play), and also because the random- and program-play modes are automatically cancelled when you press Stop (you don't want to plug in any headphones into the Panasonic's headphone jack when the player's power is still on, otherwise you'll hear a popping noise that may damage headphone drivers), the setup of the SL-CT790 requires you to plug the remote into the headphone jack first, then somehow plug in the cable from the dedicated headphone amp into the headphone jack of the Panasonic's remote. And since the cable that comes with the Airhead series of amps is way too short for such a connection, you'll have to spend some more $$$ on a longer 1-meter cord that has a stereo mini-plug on one end, the appropriate connector on the other end.

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 32
Get the Pana CT790 if you are not using ETY 4Ps. It has a more powerful amp section 8mw if I remember correctly in comparsion with the ej1000's 5mw. My experience is that my 4Ps hiss with the CT790 even it's not playing. So bewarned. BTW, price now should be USD100 for this PCDP in Hong Kong now.

As for the ej1000 which sound darker and less bright. And the build quality seems better. The stick looking remote is also cooler than the CT790s'. Battary life of these 2 PCDPs are about the same.

Oh yes, watch out on voltages.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
the Panasonic SL-CT790 sold in North America are much less convenient to use with an amp

Huh? Is that so? what a rip off. Is Panasonic officially distribute these in North America? Is it also made in Japan?

Aug 6, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by katsudon1
Huh? Is that so? what a rip off. Is Panasonic officially distribute these in North America? Is it also made in Japan?

Yep. Panasonic had decontented (cheapened) the CT790 for the North American (U.S./Canada) market. The version we Americans get has no line-out or optical-out at all - in fact, the only audio output on our American version is the headphone jack. And FYI it's still "made in Japan."

Aug 6, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 32
well just taking on looks, i think the sony d-ej1000 is nicer. I have seen both in person, and seeing them in person is quite different than looking at a picture. The ct790 looks really cheap up close. Its remote looks like junk, and the player itself looks cheapy.

The sony d-ej1000 doesnt exactly look classy, but its stylish in its own contemporary way. And at least the remote doesnt look like junk.

Sound wise, im loving my d-ej1000 with my JMT CHA47. No comment on the headphones out
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #27 of 32
andrzejpw, as I had said numerous times, the D-EJ1000 has a combo line/optical out (good) and a headphone out (crap).

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #29 of 32
Eagle_Driver:
Quote:

...and the compression can't be turned off at all whatsoever, you're stuck with the crappy-sounding compression if you buy the SL-CT790

Is this also the case with the Japanese/Asian version?

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Eagle_Driver:

Is this also the case with the Japanese/Asian version?

Actually, the Japanese/Asian version has a line out/optical out jack - but using the jack in line-out mode automatically switches the anti-skip to 10-second uncompressed, and using the jack as an optical out automatically switches the anti-skip completely off. Thus, if you're using a headphone amp in the Japanese/Asian version's line/optical out, you'll always have the 10-second uncompressed anti-skip.

The North American version (like the one I reviewed) is stuck in the auto-switching antiskip mode that uses varying degrees of compression as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back