Sony D-ej1000 or Panasonic sl-ct790?
Nov 15, 2001 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Pat

100+ Head-Fier
I got a cousin coming in from Hong Kong for Christmas. At about $125 USD, he'll be able to get me those brand spankin new PCDPs from Sony and Panasonic that look like frisbees... the Sony D-ej1000 and Panasonic sl-ct790. You know, the ones that look like this...

d-ej1000.jpg

sl-ct790.jpg

It's doubtful either one these units will set a new benchmark for PCDP sound, but hey, we're talkin' $125 for a new design flagship model here. Plus both of them look so damn neat. Heh.

Which ONE should I go with?

Nov 15, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 32
Neither.
evil_smiley.gif
Tell him to locate a 777 for you and get that instead since it lays the smack down on both of these.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 32
Go w/ the one that flies further.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 32
Hmmm...well I gotta admit, in some ways the Sony looks better. But I'd be surprised if it sounded better than the Panasonic. Personally I have my eye on the 790, (as well as the RioVolt 3) and think it looks damn sexy. I saw a cool pic of the 790 a few days ago, if i can find it, i'll post it up...it's a pic of an asian lady holding it up and it looks soooo shiny!

Nov 15, 2001 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 32
QUOTE: Go w/ the one that flies further.

LOL!

Nov 15, 2001 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 32
If you are lucky like me.....try to locate the D777 or D-E905 will be your best bet.
I second vertigo!!!

Nov 15, 2001 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 32
I think the new Sony CD/MP3 unit looks interesting. I personally own the Iriver2 and it rocks!

Having said that, both of those units look really cool - I wonder if they sound the same their earlier models (I suspect they do).

One thing to really watch out for with this new style of consumer electronics though is the weedy headphone output - the latest Panasonic MD recorder only has something like 2.5mw output - that's just not good enough.

Nov 16, 2001 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 32
I don't want to be blasphemous here but I don't think the 777 is worth it. I'm sure it sounds awesome but I'm just not the kinda guy who needs to max out his equipment on the road. Stuff at home is a different story, since that's where I can do some real listening. I'm all for a simple setup on the road. ER-6 or ER-4P and a portable. Ampless. I hate carrying around a clutter of cables batteries and other extraneous stuff. The benefits of an amp with ER-6 and ER-4P will probably be less than say a pair of Senns anyway. I'm willing to sacrifice that extra little bit of fidelity for functionality and looks.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic is the way to go for sound, but I'd like to just give Sony a shot. I mean, look at it.... it's gorgeous. Maybe, just maybe it'll sound good.

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 32
You really need to listen to the ER-4S with an amp to hear how much better it is than the ER-4P without an amp. And with that kind of isolation, even though the listening session won't be as good as an at-home one, you can definitely hear fine music on the road.

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 32
I think I will wait for the new Sony cd/mp3 player. It looks very compromising and beautifully crafted. Love the backlit id3 tag display!!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 32
Personally, I think the pana looks cooler. I like the brighter brushed aluminum cover. Also, the remote looks cooler...what is that little round thing? Anyway, they both look awesome, but the pana looks a little better to me, and it probably will have better sound. Are these models coming out in the US any time soon?
Stu

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 32
I like the panasonic look better. I would really liked it if it didn't have the company's logo on it.

They both look tempting to toss them like frisbees out the window. I have a bad feeling that their sound quality probably encourages such behavour. If not, it would be all cool to purchase one of those two pcdp.

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

They both look tempting to toss them like frisbees out the window. I have a bad feeling that their sound quality probably encourages such behavour.

LOL. Yeah I'm not expecting much in the way of sound either.

Nov 17, 2001 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 32
be careful with these super skinny made of metal cdps. I had the dej925, usually kept in in my back pocket, sat on it a few times, it got dented, and scratched my cds! because it was too skinny.

Nov 17, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 32
Guys,
One remark!! Aluminum brushing on the pana can be very ugly if dented and mark occur...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back