Sony D-25S
Feb 10, 2003 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Pappucho

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am new poster (been mainly a reader for awhile now) and was hoping someone would know where I may be able to get a battery for the sony D25S. This has probably been answered before, but I wasn't able to find it. Also, how does this particular player fare against the cd 3400. I picked up a cd 3400 back when they were being praised in stereophile, and was happy with it until it started failing. I used it both for portable use and as a source for my home rig. I never used it as a transport which from my reading was where all it's strengths were. I had already forgotten that I had it, until I came across an article on it here. So I went into the garage today, found it and dusted it off, and to my pleasant surprise it spun right up. It's working again, let's see how long it last. I have been using a portable dvd player as the source to my headroom supreme amp in my portable rig. I got the amp through ebay for around 200 bucks. This is the earlier version with the internal batteries. I understand that the newer version has no space internally for batteries and needs to be run off an external battery pack. Does anyone know how the newer model sounds compared to the older model? Well, I apprecieate all the usefull information on this site and thanks for any input.

Feb 10, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 62
Feb 10, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 62
Hey, thanks for the info Gallaine. I am looking at a sony D-25S to get on ebay from Silicone Salvage and was worried about getting a battery. It looks to be a pretty good cd player, and judging from the posts it looks likes it sounds as good as it looks.

Feb 10, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 62
You are welcome.

The battery isn't necessary unless you need to use it in a place that doesn't have a wall-plug. I'm using an AC Adapter that I purchased from Radio Shack without the batteries.

Feb 13, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 62
originally posted by JML:

"In case anyone goes shopping, here are the Radio Shack numbers (the "M" Adaptaplug comes free with these -- connect with tip negative per careful reading of the instructions, not per your intuition -- the molded "tip" wording is negative, not the side of the plug with the actual tip!). All are off-white, by the way:

#273-1771: 9V, 1500 mA, $22.99 (International series, smaller than the others, regulated, 120/240 VAC, folding plug)

#273-1770: 9V, 800 mA, $13.99 (regulated and filtered)

#273-1612: 9V, 1200 mA, $15.99 (regulated, marked for Sega Genesis)

#273-1611: 9V, 1300 mA, $15.99 (regulated, marked for Nintendo)

#273-1680: 3 to 12V (user switchable), 1000 mA, $34.99 (with seven Adaptaplugs)

#273-1667: 3 to 12V (user switchable), 800 mA, $14.99 (regulated)

#273-1900: 3 to 9V output (user switchable), total mA rating depends on batteries used, NiCad & NiMH 4AA Battery charger and portable powerpack, $39.99 (I'm very curious about this one, because with 4x1800 mA NiMH AAs, this might be a nice option)

#273-1681: 3 to 12V, 1000 mA, $39.99 (AC pass-through socket, i.e., you can plug in a normal AC cord on top of this one, in series)

(No warranties from me, express or implied. I'm just copying what the catalog says. Remember, the switchable voltage units may be more economical, but a mistake with a higher voltage can fry your equipment. All listed adapters exceed the 600 mA rating of the much more expensive Sony adapter.)"

btw, i'm using the first one without any problem.

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 62
I'm leaning towards the second one, 273-1770 because of its lower mah rating. What do you guys think. Also, thanks for all those part numbers 00940, that was very helpful!

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 62
i would have gone for the second too if I hadn't to take it back to Belgium. Not for the lower current but for the filter. For the price too...

don't thank me, thanks JML.

Feb 13, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940

#273-1900: 3 to 9V output (user switchable), total mA rating depends on batteries used, NiCad & NiMH 4AA Battery charger and portable powerpack, $39.99 (I'm very curious about this one, because with 4x1800 mA NiMH AAs, this might be a nice option)

This one is extremely versatile. It can act as a DC wallwart, battery pack switchable from 3 to 9 volts in increments of 1.5 v, or battery charger. The Radio Shack adaptaplug setup lets you use it with just about any portable, just by switching the voltage and the plug. It's not quite as long-lasting as an internal battery of the same size would be, as the pcdp thinks there's an AC wallwart, and all of the power-eating options (backlit displays etc.) that the players turn off to save batteries will be on.

It was on sale for $29.99 a few weeks ago.

Feb 13, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 62
which adaptaplug does the d-25s require? oh and i found an old switching wall wart rated at 3-9v at 300ma in my house. It's an old Radioshack model which can switch the tips for different sizes. Will this work?

Feb 13, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
300mA is really low, sony reco's 600mA and some think that 800mA is a minimum. The plug is M like specified by JML

At 9v, the Radio Shack battery wall wart is rated at about 660 mA. At lower voltages the rating is over 1000 mA.

Feb 13, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 62
I always thought it was better to have a more amps than less. From what I understand, the extra amps are only there if the pcdp needs to draw extra current and won't damage it any way. Am I correct in this? If so, having extra available current should allow the pcdp to work better and produce better sound....

Thanks for listing those model numbers and specs!

Feb 13, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 62
First off let me say WOW am i pleased with this player. I just did an A/B of my player and my Nad.. Obviously the NAD smokes it with ease but dayam... This is by far the first PCDP that i have heard that comes close.

The line out is superb.. I tested with my Fixup Mini and my ASL MG.. Excellent, clean, neutral line out.

The headphone out is even more of a shock. Its driving my hd600's with amazing clarity. I'm just in shock. This is an amazing portable source... Not to mention for $40.

Anyhow, im using an Ibanez 200mA 9v adapter and it seems to be working great.

You can get a battery from here but its 50 bux....http://shop.store.yahoo.com/batterys...bpbp2exre.html

Worth it for road trips and such. With a nice portable Meta and hd600's .. To me this is the ultimate transportable/portable system. Highly reccomended!

EDIT: I just ordered one of the batteries from : http://shop.store.yahoo.com/batterys...bpbp2exre.html ... Better work well for 50 bux! Im guessing the way to recharge it is to plug the player in while the battery is installed... Correct? Hope so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back