Sony D-25 Refurbishment with Service Manual!
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #16 of 35
Here are a few pictures. The three gears are in the center of the top image, with the leftmost being on the motor, transferring motion to thenmiddlemgear, then to the rightness which drives the worm mechanism. I can barely turn the left most one with my fingernail, and its motion transfers to the other two gears. Thanks for any advice!

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 35
I don't know. Obviously if it is hard to turn, something has a lot of friction. I could look at it if you want to send it to me. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #18 of 35
Thanks..you've been so helpful so far. I'm going to dink with it a bit more before I give up. Might try to,disassemble to get,to individual gears. Not sure if I'm that brave though.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 35
Well, I threw in the towel and sent the Sony D-25 to Verhayen, who advertises what turns out to be a FABULOUS repair service on e-bay for a flat rate of $149.95:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-D-25-D-250-Discman-Flat-Rate-Repair-Service-/151231612565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23361b4695

Only 2 left, according to eBay.

They took two weeks (despite their eBay site statement that they do the work in 2 business days (!)) 

But in my case, they had a LOT to do, but they brought this vintage best-of-class player up to snuff and head and shoulders above later discman players:

1. Unstuck the "sled" on which the laser diode slides to move across the CD;
  2. Replaced a gear in the sled transit mechanism that had missing teeth;
  3. Replaced the motor and CD spindle, which had a bad bearing so that though it worked, it made a scraping noise (and was subject to future failure);
  4. Cleaned the volume potentiometer.

They provided a detailed list of what they had done, the time required, and what parts they replaced.

More impressively, they provided me with 12 (TWELVE) videos, starting from one that documented the initial state of the CD player (lit up and spun the disc, but nothing else, and recorded the scratches on the cover.)  They also showed the oscilloscope videos showing the "eye" patterns of proper operation, as well as deliberate scratches on their test CD and the ability of the CD player to recover the information anyway.  They also compared measured and specified laser drive current, which in my case was OK.

The other 11 videos stepped through each step of their diagnosis and repair, including the false lead of removing the RF shield that is the surface immediately below the spinning CD, as a source of the scraping sound before they diagnosed the bad spindle motor and bearing. 

They are former Sony repairmen and have all the oscilloscopes, test CDs, and procedures that you would expect from the best manufacturer repair facility.

In short, if you have or want what has been called the sonically best portable Sony CD discman portable CD player, but you don't know whether your D-25 you bought on eBay can be restored to working condition... These Folks Can Do t1  They told me that that flat rate covers anything necessary except the display, which apparently if it is blank or has missing segments, is something they cannot fix.

I'm listening to it now... it sounds SOOOO much better than the plastic-encased Sony Discman of more recent vintage.  They also are planning to sell the Discman battery, but they want to have several dozen in stock before they advertise it, since they are so scarce.

I just wanted to report on the highly effective class operation that these folks have going!  I am sure that with the additional problems, even if I had succeeded in unsticking the sled transport per jamato8's help, it still would have problems requiring things beyond my capability.  The $150 was well spent for me!

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 35
Great to know!

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #21 of 35
Hey kayandjohn,

Very glad for you that D-25 is resurrected back to it's former glory . I do have two D-250 (basicaly the same D-25 only for EU/Asian market) that need repairing as well, sent them to a Sony guru (vintage discman enthusiast) from US, that actually is a head-fi member as well (Kaosun), can't wait to get them back and to listen to them. Never tried a good quality discman (only newer plastic ones) as D-25 or D-555.

Anyway, you next step is to 'Turbo Mod' it
evil_smiley.gif
if you want to go further with sound tuning.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 35
Hard to find a nice one in mint condition. I'm looking for a second one.

I was lucky. I have two in like new condition. One that is basically new in box and the other one with no box but like new. I have two batteries as well that are Li ion, which I was also lucky to get. They were made in Japan for a short while and hold a very good charge. I have two of the original batteries but like most, they are dead and won't take a charge. The Li ion also run longer than the original batteries. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 35
Does anyone have the remote control for the D-25?  There is a jack on the side for one.

Also, is there any way to jury rig one standard-sized 9V battery into the battery compartment?

Was the original battery charged by the D-25 when its wall wart power adapter was plugged in?

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 35
  Does anyone have the remote control for the D-25?  There is a jack on the side for one.

Also, is there any way to jury rig one standard-sized 9V battery into the battery compartment?

Was the original battery charged by the D-25 when its wall wart power adapter was plugged in?

The battery is a nominal 3.6 volts with a full charge of 4.2 volts. So no on the 9V. 

The battery is charged by the player. They also made a charger to do it but they are hard to find and the remotes are hard to find. I have one but they don't offer much, since they are wired, as you can see. I haven't seen a remote offered for sale in a long time or a D25 with one. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 35

The battery is a nominal 3.6 volts with a full charge of 4.2 volts. So no on the 9V. 

The battery is charged by the player. They also made a charger to do it but they are hard to find and the remotes are hard to find. I have one but they don't offer much, since they are wired, as you can see. I haven't seen a remote offered for sale in a long time or a D25 with one. 

Amazing!  The wall charger is a 9V output... I am surprised that the battery is not the same!  Good think I asked.

I checked eBay after posting my question about the remote... there is one on there now.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 35
By the way:

• The wall-wart power supply from Sony is Sony AC-940 (newer version is AC-940A);
  • The remote control, on a 5-foot cord, is Sony RM-DM2 (also fits the Sony D-555 and some other CD players);
  • The battery, once sealed lead-acid and more recently Lithium Ion (and I think NiCd version as well, at lower voltage), is BP-2EX, indeed 3.5 - 4.0 V.

(Just to get a bunch of part numbers for the D-25 together in one place)

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 35
Too bad no one makes those rechargeable batteries anymore.
Quote:

I was lucky. I have two in like new condition. One that is basically new in box and the other one with no box but like new. I have two batteries as well that are Li ion, which I was also lucky to get. They were made in Japan for a short while and hold a very good charge. I have two of the original batteries but like most, they are dead and won't take a charge. The Li ion also run longer than the original batteries. 

There is also a wireless remote control for d25.
  By the way:

• The wall-wart power supply from Sony is Sony AC-940 (newer version is AC-940A);
  • The remote control, on a 5-foot cord, is Sony RM-DM2 (also fits the Sony D-555 and some other CD players);
  • The battery, once sealed lead-acid and more recently Lithium Ion (and I think NiCd version as well, at lower voltage), is BP-2EX, indeed 3.5 - 4.0 V.

(Just to get a bunch of part numbers for the D-25 together in one place)

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 35
Just a quick notice that Verhayen, the eBay supplier that brought my defunct D-25 to like-new operating condition, only shows one more such service available for sale on their site, here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151231612565?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So if you are considering getting your D-25 fixed up, might do it soon (I actually suspect that they will continue this, because they gave no sign of stopping when I talked with them about mine, back when they had 3 left for sale).

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #30 of 35
Just a quick notice that Verhayen, the eBay supplier that brought my defunct D-25 to like-new operating condition, only shows one more such service available for sale on their site, here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151231612565?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So if you are considering getting your D-25 fixed up, might do it soon (I actually suspect that they will continue this, because they gave no sign of stopping when I talked with them about mine, back when they had 3 left for sale).

I would think they would continue with it. Excellent service to provide. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back