Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Feb 16, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #2,371 of 2,550
I have a set of REAL MH750 purchased 1yr ago that I've thoroughly enjoyed so I thought to purchase a set of MH755 to use with BT dongle, but unfortunately received a set of fakes. (I'm in Taiwan) So, to add a few observations to this already very well established thread.

1. Packaging: Only one recycling logo, I have seen many "real" packaging with two logos.
01 Packaging IMG_8551.jpg

2. Label: Very very well made, print is mostly clean, I can even see the reflective code near the "bin" (difficult to catch on camera).
Wire wrap: fake MH755 wrapped very loosely and with wire tie, my real MH750 was very neatly wrapped fully covered in clear plastic with no wire tie.
02 Tag IMG_8566.jpg

3. Logo: If you hold the two up in your hand and look very closely, you can tell the difference.
03 Logo IMG_8553.jpg

4. Vent hole and back shell, again, something that you need to see up close.
04 Vent Hole IMG_8558.jpg

5. Inside, some small details.
05 Shell.jpg

6. Sound/listening,

Fake: Upon inserting them in my ears I got very very distinct driver flex (I've not seen this mentioned before).
Sound is muffled, highs are not sharp, very muddy, boomy, lots of bass, vocal's not clear, BUT there is music.

Real: No driver flex, very clean sound, clear imaging, good seperation, nice bass, can definitely rival something 10x~20x (or more) the price.

Just for fun, I got my wife and 9yr daughter to do a blind listening test betwen the two with just 20 seconds of Adele, they could easily pick out the real one.

Thoughts,
- The counterfeits are extremely well made, there is pretty much no way to tell without close examination and listening.
- Fake ones are everywhere, I looked up further seller listings and I could not tell if there are any real ones out there.
- All up, I paid US$6 shipped, I got some acceptable eartips and working earphones so that wasn't too bad.
- If you've never heard the real version, you'd think these earphones are ok but you won't understand what the hype is about.
Note: these are just my observations based on the two sets I have on hand, these are in no way conclusive to what's real and what's not.

Real MH750/MH755's are awesome but difficult to find real units, good luck out there!
My pair of black mh750, straight plug I bought from wei0205 had pretty bad driver flex that went away with time and sound great now.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #2,372 of 2,550
Any thoughts as to authenticity? I am fairly certain they are real, but some confirmation doesn't hurt. It originally came with plastic on the microphone and the cable did not have any tag.

Sound-wise, they are pretty decent; my mind wasn't blown, but, for <$15 USD, they do sound great and I am a fan of the J-shaped cable and L-shaped jack.

UYCKLiD.jpg
1OiZizU.jpg
tyTgF0O.jpg

I apologize in advance for the mediocre photos, it was hard to get lighting and camera focus correct.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #2,373 of 2,550
Any thoughts as to authenticity? I am fairly certain they are real, but some confirmation doesn't hurt. It originally came with plastic on the microphone and the cable did not have any tag.

Sound-wise, they are pretty decent; my mind wasn't blown, but, for <$15 USD, they do sound great and I am a fan of the J-shaped cable and L-shaped jack.

UYCKLiD.jpg
1OiZizU.jpg
tyTgF0O.jpg

I apologize in advance for the mediocre photos, it was hard to get lighting and camera focus correct.
Look very similar to the ones I've bought on aliexpress recently. My seem to be genuine, but I've never had 100% original pair, so can't be fully sure..

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #2,374 of 2,550
Does anyone using MH750/MH755 without the black nozzle mesh? When I bought last year my first pair of white MH750s ( AG-0500), it worked well for a few months, but after that, the left earphone started to sound lower and lower and I thought they were broken. One day I thought of cleaning them with a cotton swab soaked in medical alcohol and by chance when I wiped the black mesh, it came loose and I did not put it back.

When I tried again the earphones, I was speechless, the sound had returned to normal in my left earphone and since then I listen to them every day, MH750 sounds better, clearer without the mesh...at least for me ( The black foam inside the nozzle it's still there, that I didn't removed). "Rose like a phoenix from the ashes" :ksc75smile:

After some time I found by accident a thread on XDA forum with someone who did the exact same thing with a MH750 pair that had low sound... ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mod-your-mh750-headset-for-volume-boost.3237175/) The difference I noticed it's that his pair has white foam in the nozzle, mine has black foam.
ok this gives me hope, mine just recently started sounding way lower in the right. i was concerned it was an internals issue, but i will try to either clean or remove the mesh, i guess it has gotten clogged with dried earwax to the point it obstructs sound. live update - I tried some like hand sanitizer gel on a bit of napkin on the mesh bc i had nothing else alcoholic on hand, and it got even more muted lol. well at least I know the issue is with the mesh grill

yep, just removed it and that was it, but now the side is considerably brighter, i might have to remove both for now and use em like this, or at least temporarily until i clean the meshes properly

mm they became a bit too unpleasantly 5k-bright for my tastes like this, I will have to eq till i find some alkie

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #2,375 of 2,550
My pair of black mh750, straight plug I bought from wei0205 had pretty bad driver flex that went away with time and sound great now.
Nice...

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #2,376 of 2,550
Wow, excellent detail. Thank you! I have a few pair, both about a year and a half ago got lucky. (New: WH-755 2 pr, SonyWH-750 2pr, Sony MDR-EX155AP 3pr.).
Thanks again. :)

Cheers

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #2,378 of 2,550
What happened to slater?
I've been wondering about this myself for a while now. I think someone in one of the threads mentioned that he's on some kind of hiatus. I sure hope that's just that.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,379 of 2,550
@BOTAK WAI Hi Mate, Apa kabar , welcome to our community..

Thanks for sharing your images and breaking it down, looking at it, it's indeed authentic..there are different hw variations and yours is TYPE: AG-0500. As long as you have the 2 x solder dots you are safe..and you have the correct CE Tagging for 15WXX -2015 Week XX which is genuine. As of 2016 mfg onwards, the CE tag has been removed entirely..

Awesome price too..Malaysia has a large population..your supplier might have purchased a Large container to get the "Cabbage Prices " :p

Enjoy :)

I have both H/W variations (2 lefts Black/White 2015 TYPE: AG-0500 & AG-0501 Mfg 2015, Right TYPE: AG-0501 - Mfg 2017 without CE Tags, except 2019/2020 with the straight 3.5 mm Audio jack which I will be ordering in another bulk purchase if my MO has demand for it
8.jpg2.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
Hello from 2022, I've given away 2 of 3 from my 3-pack from wei on ebay and I'm also looking for another pack so I can give away to friends as small gifts. Did you end up buying a batch of 2020, or maybe even 2021 mfg models? I'm wondering if the quality has dropped due to supply chain issues or cost savings now, but I like the straight jack way more than the L jack version.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #2,381 of 2,550
Been away for a while.

I tried IEMs for the first time in months, was pleasantly surprised by my MH755. It's a white with green-tips from Kanoya in Japan.

I don't know if it's fake or genuine, but it sounded great with the $10 Apple DAC dongle on a Lenovo laptop I was testing.

Cable is too short, of course. Is there some kind of extension cable [3.5 mm] I can buy for this? I swear it sounded better than my Tin T4.

Mar 27, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,382 of 2,550
Been away for a while.

I tried IEMs for the first time in months, was pleasantly surprised by my MH755. It's a white with green-tips from Kanoya in Japan.

I don't know if it's fake or genuine, but it sounded great with the $10 Apple DAC dongle on a Lenovo laptop I was testing.

Cable is too short, of course. Is there some kind of extension cable [3.5 mm] I can buy for this? I swear it sounded better than my Tin T4.
You'll find plenty on AliExpress.
I bought one similar to this some three years ago: https://a.aliexpress.com/_v0OZxS . I use it from time to time, although I prefer to recable my MH755/750s.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #2,383 of 2,550
I've bought a pair of MH750s on aliexpress recently and, despite they say it's only fakes on ali, these ones sound great (clean, not boomy and with great subbase) and have small eyelets on PCB, so definitely look like original. However they have impedance of 23 Ohm, and reviews/measurements I've found in the internet say impedance is 16 Ohm. It's well known there are different batches of MH750/755 from different OEM with varying parts, can impedance of the batches vary too or is it a definitive sign of fake?

Could you share the link?

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,384 of 2,550
I've got the chance to purchase these in "second hand". Can any experts chime in to tell if they are obviously fake or not? Thank you

Attachments

• 20220403_234229.jpg
    20220403_234229.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220403_234244.jpg
    20220403_234244.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back