Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,341 of 2,545
I'm a bit underwhelmed by them tbh. The mh755 I have sounds great to me and even though it's a bit of a minefield, i was hoping for the mh755 with longer cable.

Something else that I haven't seen with other version is the strain relief. It's angled outwards on the mh750.

That's probably from how it was packaged and sat for years.

A newer mh750 may be more to your liking as they have different foam and nozzle mesh.

Nov 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,342 of 2,545
while checking my stuffs, saw this one.
i forgot i still have one. its been a while since i modded some mh750s.
BD7DC0DC-5CAB-4AFE-A2A1-9A64A9552A4A.jpeg

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,344 of 2,545
i think i posted here before but again here is the filter and the back driver.
1AC4DDC5-8B44-4C34-A0BA-2EC2E8CE5103.jpeg
0A343C4F-0A4B-4D11-8927-5DC332929E6D.jpeg

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,346 of 2,545
I was listening to this song and I'm amazed how good the sound from MH750 can be. The bass and overall sound it's incredible! I have an older Sony MDR-EX110LP pair, you can't even compare the sound, MH750 are in another dimension. Congrats to the guys from Sony who developed MH1 & MH750/MH755 :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #2,347 of 2,545
I was listening to this song and I'm amazed how good the sound from MH750 can be. The bass and overall sound it's incredible! I have an older Sony MDR-EX110LP pair, you can't even compare the sound, MH750 are in another dimension. Congrats to the guys from Sony who developed MH1 & MH750/MH755 :ksc75smile:

The MH1C really is a deluxe version of the MH75x series. It has a fuller, warmer sound (particular the mids), but there's also quite a bit more detail than I expected, and reviews tend not to mention that even when comparing it against the MH750/755. It's fully replaced my MH755 by now because it's just substantially better. The cable really is crap though lmao. I have to mess with it a minute or two I put them on just so I can have proper fit. Really would recommend you buy one of those if you have the spare cash, since it's not that expensive either.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,348 of 2,545
The MH1C really is a deluxe version of the MH75x series. It has a fuller, warmer sound (particular the mids), but there's also quite a bit more detail than I expected, and reviews tend not to mention that even when comparing it against the MH750/755. It's fully replaced my MH755 by now because it's just substantially better. The cable really is crap though lmao. I have to mess with it a minute or two I put them on just so I can have proper fit. Really would recommend you buy one of those if you have the spare cash, since it's not that expensive either.

I found a local store that sells Sony MH1, so it's on my list. I just hope they sell originals MH1! MH1C so far I didn't find it. Next week I will receive two Sony SBH24 with MH755 included, so I will see how it's the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #2,350 of 2,545

Congrats to Mr. Sead Smailagic, acoustic designer of this small gems who was working for Sony Ericsson Mobile at the time. Now owns http://www.signaton.se/

Congrats to Sead indeed!! If I remember correctly he wrote that it is the MH750/755 that is a cheaper version of the MH1 and not the other way. And after months of listening I wholeheartedly agree. 🙂

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,351 of 2,545
I'm a bit underwhelmed by them tbh. The mh755 I have sounds great to me and even though it's a bit of a minefield, i was hoping for the mh755 with longer cable.

Something else that I haven't seen with other version is the strain relief. It's angled outwards on the mh750.

I received a few variations recently. My MH750 AG-501 with black mesh sounds very, very similar to my MH755s, while my AG-500 with white center on mesh sounds different with way more bass and slightly grainy sound.

I popped them all open to verify authenticity; the 500's are a mixture of the typical circular pcbs along with some with cut off sides (even on the same pair, which was odd). All had the solder dots.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,352 of 2,545
Does anyone using MH750/MH755 without the black nozzle mesh? When I bought last year my first pair of white MH750s ( AG-0500), it worked well for a few months, but after that, the left earphone started to sound lower and lower and I thought they were broken. One day I thought of cleaning them with a cotton swab soaked in medical alcohol and by chance when I wiped the black mesh, it came loose and I did not put it back.

When I tried again the earphones, I was speechless, the sound had returned to normal in my left earphone and since then I listen to them every day, MH750 sounds better, clearer without the mesh...at least for me ( The black foam inside the nozzle it's still there, that I didn't removed). "Rose like a phoenix from the ashes" :ksc75smile:

After some time I found by accident a thread on XDA forum with someone who did the exact same thing with a MH750 pair that had low sound... ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/mod-your-mh750-headset-for-volume-boost.3237175/) The difference I noticed it's that his pair has white foam in the nozzle, mine has black foam.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,353 of 2,545
I had fun rediscovering my Sony MH750s recently with shorter eartips made for the Samsung Galaxy Buds. I used to find them too harsh in the treble, but the deeper insertion seems to fix this problem. Now they sound pretty spot-on to the Harman over-ear target. It breaks my heart to think how much money I wasted on $250-$350 IEMs that advertised "better technicalities" but sounded completely unnatural.

Unfortunately, the better seal I'm getting also makes the sub-bass much more pronounced. Does anybody know if there is a way to mod Sony MH750s to have less bass? I heard somewhere there was a Russian guy on eBay selling cable-modded MH755s, MH750s, and MH1s that mod them to reduce the bass. Is there a port I have to tape over or something?

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,354 of 2,545
I had fun rediscovering my Sony MH750s recently with shorter eartips made for the Samsung Galaxy Buds. I used to find them too harsh in the treble, but the deeper insertion seems to fix this problem. Now they sound pretty spot-on to the Harman over-ear target. It breaks my heart to think how much money I wasted on $250-$350 IEMs that advertised "better technicalities" but sounded completely unnatural.

Unfortunately, the better seal I'm getting also makes the sub-bass much more pronounced. Does anybody know if there is a way to mod Sony MH750s to have less bass? I heard somewhere there was a Russian guy on eBay selling cable-modded MH755s, MH750s, and MH1s that mod them to reduce the bass. Is there a port I have to tape over or something?

I think one of the reviews talks about the effects of sealing all possible points of air vents (top vent, bottom cable exit, and all around the split.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mh755.23501/reviews

I filled in the cavity with blu tack (weighed amount on a scale to even up both ears) on one of my 750's. It sucked out too much bass, so I still need to play with it, but that's another area to play around with. I feel like there's a lot of variation within these 750's, and eartips/seal make such a pronounced difference that all adjustments will be very personal.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #2,355 of 2,545
Thanks for the advice. I tried some some simple scotch tape and it seemed to work? When I removed it from one side, I did hear a noticeable imbalance in the bass. Although, I also heard the imbalance when I had a poor seal in one ear too. I might have to look into getting some blu tack and tape with better adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back