Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #541 of 2,546
I got mine from electronhero at ebay, they are genuine and I am very pleased with the sound. The cable on the other hand...

genuine black ones?

That is why there are so many suggestions in this thread for recabling.... or , you can at least use an extension cord.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #543 of 2,546
genuine black ones?

That is why there are so many suggestions in this thread for recabling.... or , you can at least use an extension cord.

No sorry, regular white ones.

I have to get a soldering iron and try to recable them as they are my preferred in ears right now. Still haven't decided if I would like to keep the short style cable to use with some bluetooth adapter, which I dont have, use a regular length cable or go the mmcx connector route which seems not reversible and saw someone comment it added weight to the buds, their lightness is an advantage, they are very comfortable to wear because of it and the smaller nozzle diameter.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #544 of 2,546
No sorry, regular white ones.

I have to get a soldering iron and try to recable them as they are my preferred in ears right now. Still haven't decided if I would like to keep the short style cable to use with some bluetooth adapter, which I dont have, use a regular length cable or go the mmcx connector route which seems not reversible and saw someone comment it added weight to the buds, their lightness is an advantage, they are very comfortable to wear because of it and the smaller nozzle diameter.

I don't think MMCX is a good idea tbh. You get the best sound when you push these in deep, MMCX connections are quite fat and would mean shallow insertion.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on good cables though, I don't really want to have to trawl 36 pages to find answers.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #545 of 2,546
or go the mmcx connector route which seems not reversible and saw someone comment it added weight to the buds, their lightness is an advantage, they are very comfortable to wear because of it and the smaller nozzle diameter.

The main concern with the MMCX is that nice MMCX cables tend to be heavy. Harder to find really light ones. Also more danger of wrecking the connector if you actually change cables a lot. It is only a plastic shell.

There are many sellers with legit white ones... it is the black ones that are elusive... more likely to be fake. I had to pay more thought... $12 instead of $6 - $8. If you have read through the thread you know I have several white ones all recabled with different cables.

We will just be using black cables on the black ones.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #546 of 2,546
I don't think MMCX is a good idea tbh. You get the best sound when you push these in deep, MMCX connections are quite fat and would mean shallow insertion.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on good cables though, I don't really want to have to trawl 36 pages to find answers.

first of all it is worth the read and would only take a little while. That is the purpose of headfi threads. What is the point of us having spent time typing all the information if no one is going to go back in read it and instead wants us to type it all again. I would have to do a search to find all the links etc... so I would be spending the time going back through it all.

As for general thoughts on cables they are best to be thin enough that you can feed it through the strain relief. Search for DIY earphone replacement cables on aliexpress and look for ones that you like the look of .. they should have the bare ends already tinned for the soldering.

Good point about the deep insertion. I had not thought about that aspect of the MMCX connectors getting in the way.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #547 of 2,546

I know some people don’t like to use it, but seriously the “search this thread” function makes finding information incredibly easy. It searches in this thread only.

74BC1F61-B073-4A04-90AB-9B18B7C92953.jpeg

You could search for “mmcx cable” or “cable recable” or whatever it is you’re looking for. You’d cut the results down to 1 page (maybe 2) of specific results.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #548 of 2,546
I know some people don’t like to use it, but seriously the “search this thread” function makes finding information incredibly easy. It searches in this thread only.

or, if someone does just start at the beginning and read through, it is only 36 pages... unlike some that are 2000 and more. I remember when I first joined and was going to buy my Nighthawk headphones I read the entire thread before asking any questions. There is such a wealth of information on this site.

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #549 of 2,546
or, if someone does just start at the beginning and read through, it is only 36 pages... unlike some that are 2000 and more. I remember when I first joined and was going to buy my Nighthawk headphones I read the entire thread before asking any questions. There is such a wealth of information on this site.

I agree.

Would you rather read a good novel, or have someone tell you a summary of the novel in 2-3 sentences?

Would you rather watch a great movie, or just watch the 30 second trailer?

Which do you think will give you more valuable information, a more enriching experience, and a more lasting impression?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #550 of 2,546

Of course, I gained plenty of useful knowledge from just browsing the forums. But in this case I'd like input from people who have recabled these and know the ins and outs.

For example, I want to be able to use the included strain relief, so I need a thin cable, I would also like a light cable because I don't want it to pull on the earbuds. These are not things that I will just know by finding out the name of a cable and looking it up on aliexpress... People with experience recabling would be in a better position to help me.

I tried searching the thread and didn't find anything on specific cables used, just photos of recabled sets.

You could also say forums are for discussion, EVERY forum will end up having repeating conversations, but isn't that kinda the point? If we wanted to eliminate all duplicate posts/information the forum would be a lot smaller than it is and I suspect a fair number of people wouldn't bother posting in fear of being shouted down for posting duplicate information.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #551 of 2,546
I tried searching the thread and didn't find anything on specific cables used, just photos of recabled sets.

If you see one you like, quote the post and ask the person where they got it.

Like this but there are many

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005858099.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907557028.html

a little more expensive... choose the option with the bare ends
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948655874.html

these look nice...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918315357.html

You probably saw that some people mention using cables that they already have but are no longer needed... they just cut off the connector.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #552 of 2,546
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #553 of 2,546
Cheers! I didn't know the wording to search for to be honest, but it seems "diy earphone cable 3.5mm" brings up a lot of results.

I ordered a few of these in white: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815721672.html
They look thin and have good reviews.

I have a bunch of stuff on order from AE, I guess I'll be receiving them over the next few months, lol.

Most of our cables have arrived in a couple of weeks. I have that white one on my yellow tipped 755. I think we will use the black version on our black 755s.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #554 of 2,546
rwtf on ebay sold me authentic mh750. i prefer these to the mh755 as they are around the same price but no extender needed and has a mic. I use the smallest tips because I am a pretty small guy. They sound much better than any chifi and I don't think I'll buy any other ones, for the price these are unbeatable, reminds me of how much I loved my KZ ZS3 except the drivers don't fall off of the cables, nice mic, the cable doesn't get sticky, and with asymmetrical cables. Can't beat that!

Have you got a link as I could not find that seller?

TIA

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #555 of 2,546
Someone in the States told me about this seller where he had gotten a real black 755

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MH755-Head...2-Bluetooth-Xperia-Z3-Z4-Z5-XZ-B/173533447526

The two that I ordered arrived today ... they are legit! They sound like the legit white ones that I have and the driver looks as it should. The tags look as they should but they were not packaged in the larger plastic baggie with the numbers on it... probably to save weight. @HungryPanda popped one open to photograph the driver.

They are the same J cable as the white ones but the plug end is straight not angled...as shown in the photos with the listing.

10343471.jpg

Link fixed.

Awesome news, that is the same seller I purchased from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back