Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Aug 24, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #511 of 2,545
I’ve bought fake ones with totally legit tags. So that method is not reliable in my experience.

The most reliable way to tell if they’re real or fake is to pop it open and look at the driver. Another way is to check for the tuning foam under the nozzle filter (none of the fakes I’ve seen bother with the foam).

But even if a pair had the tuning foam in the nozzles, I would still check the drivers. Because once the counterfeiters figure out the nozzle foam trick, they will start adding that because it will only add 1/10 of a penny to the manufacturing cost to add the foam.

The counterfeiters already figured out how to make the tags appear genuine, so it’s only a matter of time before they start adding the foam in the nozzle.

Remember, they all read the exact same “how to spot fake” guides as everyone else, and are always correcting the flaws and improving their fakes with each generation. That’s what they do, and they’ve gotten very good at it.

I remember when the Sennheiser Momentum fakes came out. The early ones were crap, and could be easily spotted. But then the counterfeits got so good, they actually were adding individual serial number stickers to the headphones under the earpads! And the cables and many other features of the fake headphone were manufactured so well, that the fakes started actually exceeding the build quality of the genuine Momentums! It was crazy, and the only way to spot the fakes at the point they got that good was to A/B the sound with a genuine pair (which 99% of people didn’t have access to).

Anyways, the bottom line on the MH755 is you have to open them up and examine the driver.

Lucky me I got the authentic ones the first time I bought. So, it's now the drivers the counterfeiters still haven't been able to copy. Good thing it's super easy to pry the shells open to have a look inside. Thanks for the update!

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #514 of 2,545
I still need to recable it, but it does sound nice. I have a ton of Apple earpods, so I am just going to use the cable off one of them. Keep the white and orange thing going. I will use them with my old Sony Minidisc.
IMG_20190204_181611.jpg

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #515 of 2,545
.I have a couple of black ones coming from another seller but they cost $12 each. I hope they will be genuine.

I ordered one of those too, hopefully they are real. I messaged the seller before ordering and they said they were real. If not ebay & paypal will cover it.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #516 of 2,545

I've been searching for a seller for legit black MH755 and haven't found one so far. Most of the black ones out there are fake unfortunately.

Sometimes the sellers don't even know their stock of MH755s are fake. IMHO best to avoid buying black ones, buy only from reputable sellers that are vouched for by our fellow headfiers in this forum, or if u are hands on just buy white real ones and reshell/recable them or something.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #517 of 2,545
I've been searching for a seller for legit black MH755 and haven't found one so far. Most of the black ones out there are fake unfortunately.

Sometimes the sellers don't even know their stock of MH755s are fake. IMHO best to avoid buying black ones, buy only from reputable sellers that are vouched for by our fellow headfiers in this forum, or if u are hands on just buy white real ones and reshell/recable them or something.

Try buying from Kanoya on ebay, it comes from Japan and my white MH755's were authentic !

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #518 of 2,545
It doesn't. AKG is better. MH755 is quite cheap, and Crin's graph may look alright, but all the graphs I've seen, itxs really has a large priminance around 3k and has a narrow hump there compared to AKG. So, the response isn't quite Harman. In general, 3k sounds quite sharp and there's hardly any mid-bass.
Very good value at $5, but it's a bit more hype than it really deserves.
I agree that MH755 has little too much hump around 3kHz but it sounds nice despite it. Only cheap IEM I find compareable in SQ is 5th gen KZ ATE (with little different signature though).
I should do graphs for both sometime and show how it compares to KPE and IT01 on same measuring setup to get and idea of differences.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #519 of 2,545
rwtf on ebay sold me authentic mh750. i prefer these to the mh755 as they are around the same price but no extender needed and has a mic. I use the smallest tips because I am a pretty small guy. They sound much better than any chifi and I don't think I'll buy any other ones, for the price these are unbeatable, reminds me of how much I loved my KZ ZS3 except the drivers don't fall off of the cables, nice mic, the cable doesn't get sticky, and with asymmetrical cables. Can't beat that!

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #520 of 2,545
It doesn't. AKG is better. MH755 is quite cheap, and Crin's graph may look alright, but all the graphs I've seen, itxs really has a large priminance around 3k and has a narrow hump there compared to AKG. So, the response isn't quite Harman. In general, 3k sounds quite sharp and there's hardly any mid-bass.

Very good value at $5, but it's a bit more hype than it really deserves.
I have the AKG ones and they are nowhere near as comfortable or good, they hurt after a little while like the earpods and they also sound good but not great like mh755 or mh750. It's the difference between smiling when you put them on rather than just shrug at a decent pair.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #525 of 2,545
I wasn’t even aware they sold an adapter? Did you make it yourself, or get it from some seller on Aliexpress?

you can get the adapters on ali and taobao. Depending on cable, might make the fit a bit awkward. There are also some curved adapters, but they're a bit more expensive too.

then there's the guy who makes custom adapters by salvaging original EX cables and using the connectors from those (better threading and material) to make the adapters.

was thinking of getting one, but might just go the route of getting a spare cable (hopefully its better than the disappointing 0.7ohms of EX800 stock cables).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back