Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #301 of 2,543
Has anybody done any mods or consider mods on the MH755 to bring the treble down a bit to smooth it out? I find that the treble is a bit hot with it, and perhaps there is a way to mod it to alleviate this MH755 is cheap that you can just mod them without worrying about messing them up.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #302 of 2,543
Has anybody done any mods or consider mods on the MH755 to bring the treble down a bit to smooth it out? I find that the treble is a bit hot with it, and perhaps there is a way to mod it to alleviate this MH755 is cheap that you can just mod them without worrying about messing them up.

i use it without the inner nozzle foam, which in fact made it brighter, but the treble is less scattered, so for me more pleasing to the ears. you might try that, and if you don't like it, maybe even go the opposite route of putting more foams in the nozzle

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #303 of 2,543
Modded my MH755. This is with a Linsoul HC08 cable.

IMG_20190705_212354.jpg

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #304 of 2,543

I suppose that's with the quite narrow-bore stock tips? you can try to find even narrower tips to tame down the treble (I personally prefer a bit more sparkle up top, which these don't really have that much)

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #305 of 2,543

I`m working on it (with on-off basis, when I got time for it). I`ve installed drivers into ZS4 shells and testing different materials/chambers/resonators to smooth out that "hot treble".
I have iMM-6 measurement rig to test/compare and "prove" differences too...

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #306 of 2,543
I`m working on it (with on-off basis, when I got time for it). I`ve installed drivers into ZS4 shells and testing different materials/chambers/resonators to smooth out that "hot treble".
I have iMM-6 measurement rig to test/compare and "prove" differences too...

That’s the main reason why I haven’t played with MH755 driver transplants yet. The treble can get too hot/harsh, and it works perfectly in the Sony shell. The Sony shell is compact, comfortable, and easy/reliable to do mmcx. So I really haven’t found a reason to change that yet. Perhaps switching to a metal or wooden shell would provide some gains (which I plan to eventually test).

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #307 of 2,543
That’s the main reason why I haven’t played with MH755 driver transplants yet. The treble can get too hot/harsh, and it works perfectly in the Sony shell. The Sony shell is compact, comfortable, and easy/reliable to do mmcx. So I really haven’t found a reason to change that yet. Perhaps switching to a metal or wooden shell would provide some gains (which I plan to eventually test).
Not much difference when metal or wood shell. Its about driver angle to nozzle chamber, nozzle material/shape/resonator and different materials for filtering different frequencies.
My method of installing MH755 driver into ZS4 shell resulted quite similar response to original MH755 shell without foam filters but little less "peaky" and "harsh" (mainly due to longer nozzle chamber).
Will keep on testing and report solution/result when I think is right time :wink:

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #308 of 2,543
I suppose that's with the quite narrow-bore stock tips? you can try to find even narrower tips to tame down the treble (I personally prefer a bit more sparkle up top, which these don't really have that much)
Stock tips are the narrowest I got, and the next step down is Shure olives I believe. Stock tips are fairly narrow bore actually. Stock tips do sound the tightest, most resolving, and clearest, but also greatest treble response. It seems like wider bores warms up the response a bit. I tried foam tips, and it does seems to tame it a bit, but the bass is not as tightly tactile like silicone (and particularly the type of tips the stock is), and this is what I generally experience of foam tips, sounding too wet, or looser than I prefer. Bass sounding a bit softer than I prefer.

Stock tips seems to have the clearest sound, and sound like the tightest decay response. I like the stock tips minus the hotter treble that comes along with it.

Also, it seems like wider bore size increase the sound stage. I notice that that's what Symbio W does, giving the sound a bit of perception of spaciousness.

I conducted some measurements with increasing bore size that reduces the response around 8k or so, and perhaps this represent what happens when using greater bore size, reducing a bit in the treble. Take this with a grain of salt though. I'm just trying to make sense of what I'm hearing. In general though I think that 3-4k should be alleviated somewhat as well. Or the rise from 1k should be more gradual.

MH755 bore sizes.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #309 of 2,543
Measured a couple MH 755 for channel matching. If there is any slight imbalance it looks to be in the bass. It's interesting how identical these in terms of response. I guess everything involved in mass production causes such identical-ness in production results. These are cheap and look at the QC (these are two different 755s)!

re-cabled MH755

MH755 1.jpg

stock MH755

MH755 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #310 of 2,543
Stock tips are the narrowest I got, and the next step down is Shure olives I believe. Stock tips are fairly narrow bore actually. Stock tips do sound the tightest, most resolving, and clearest, but also greatest treble response. It seems like wider bores warms up the response a bit. I tried foam tips, and it does seems to tame it a bit, but the bass is not as tightly tactile like silicone (and particularly the type of tips the stock is), and this is what I generally experience of foam tips, sounding too wet, or looser than I prefer. Bass sounding a bit softer than I prefer.

Stock tips seems to have the clearest sound, and sound like the tightest decay response. I like the stock tips minus the hotter treble that comes along with it.

Also, it seems like wider bore size increase the sound stage. I notice that that's what Symbio W does, giving the sound a bit of perception of spaciousness.

I conducted some measurements with increasing bore size that reduces the response around 8k or so, and perhaps this represent what happens when using greater bore size, reducing a bit in the treble. Take this with a grain of salt though. I'm just trying to make sense of what I'm hearing. In general though I think that 3-4k should be alleviated somewhat as well. Or the rise from 1k should be more gradual.

was gonna say, since even the AET08 bass tip had wider bores than the stock MH755 tips. I did quite like how it is on the AET08. Treble was a bit shouty with the AET07. Shure tips, actually have not tried the SE846 tips on it (quite small bore).

Soundstage, I've accepted that these won't have the deep, cavernous sub-bass of SE846 or the super wide stage and sparkle of the Andro, but for sub $10, still a steal.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #311 of 2,543
was gonna say, since even the AET08 bass tip had wider bores than the stock MH755 tips. I did quite like how it is on the AET08. Treble was a bit shouty with the AET07. Shure tips, actually have not tried the SE846 tips on it (quite small bore).

Soundstage, I've accepted that these won't have the deep, cavernous sub-bass of SE846 or the super wide stage and sparkle of the Andro, but for sub $10, still a steal.
I think right tips depends on the iem. There is a specific bore size tips that worked well for me with Andro, and it was the Symbio W, 4.5mm diameter bore size. Any smaller or larger didn't sound right to me, and imaging would take a hit. On the other hand with the MH755, the small bore diameter stock tips work best for me. So, it depends on the iem what bore size, what type of tips in general works best.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #313 of 2,543
I just received a MH750 from this ebay seller, and I'm 100% certain it has to be real judging by sound quality, signature, and efficiency, though I'm not going to open it up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303179542717

That seller might be interesting for some of you because they also sell a bulk set of 10 for $30.

Why not open it up and save others from potentially buying fakes?

It takes 3 seconds and a wooden toothpick. There’s no glue or anything. It’s harder to open a tube of toothpaste than it is opening the MH750/MH755.

$3/set is too good to be true. I know of a seller on Aliexpress that has black MH750 in a similar wholesale lot (10 for $32, where the listing says they’re “genuine”).

I messaged her, and she was very forthcoming that hers were “not original, but good quality copies”. Which is surprising, as usually the Chinese sellers lie about counterfeits. I appreciated her honesty though, as it saved me the hassle of ordering it and then making a refund claim.

Anyways, the point is that if my seller had known fakes for ~$3, I’m willing to bet that your eBay seller’s ~$3 ones are fake too. Just sayin’, but of course I could be wrong. It could even be the exact same seller, as often the same seller will have a shop on Aliexpress, eBay, Amazon, etc.

Opening up yours up and posting photos would remove any and all doubt.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #314 of 2,543
Why not open it up and save others from potentially buying fakes?

It takes 3 seconds and a wooden toothpick. There’s no glue or anything. It’s harder to open a tube of toothpaste than it is opening the MH750/MH755.

Well, I just tried. I scratched it a bit and felt I would break it if I took it further apart. I have poor vision, and have difficulty trying to focus on anything so small, so not sure if this is good enough.

Attachments

• 20190706_220039.jpg
    20190706_220039.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back